Lin-Manuel Miranda

"Death doesn't discriminate between the sinners and the saints, it takes and it takes and it takes, and we keep living anyway...." 

"You have no control. Who lives, who dies, who tells your story." 

"You are perfectly cast in your life. I can't imagine anyone but you in the role. Go play." 

"Why do you write like you're running out of time?" 

"I am the one thing in life I can control. I am inimitable; I am an original. I'm not falling behind or running late. I'm not standing still: I am lying in wait." 

"To engender empathy and create a world using only words is the closest thing we have to magic." 

"I try to let my decisions be guided not by what I think will succeed or fail, but what I'm going to learn from that process."

"Everyday has the potential to be the greatest day of your life."

"With every word, I drop knowledge. I'm a diamond in the rough, a shiny piece of coal trying to reach my goal."

"The distance between where I am and where I want to be seems impossibly large."

"I just remembered when I was an adolescent girl wanting to leave my island and find my calling."

"The theater should always be a safe space."

"When I get called in for stuff for Hollywood, I get to be the best friend of the Caucasian leadIf I want to play the main guy, I have found, I have to write it."

"If you're thinking about the idea in the shower. If you're thinking about the idea while you're walking your dog, there's probably something to it."

"I'm just like my country, I'm young, scrappy and hungry, and I'm not throwing away my shot."

"I'm the music guy, I get to wear the music hat, but being able to be that guy in the room is a thrill at this level and caliber."

"I feel like style is like accent. You don't hear it on yourself, and then everyone's like, man, you got a strong accent."

"The fact that I'm a performer helps me enormously as a lyricist."

"Well, hello. My name is Lin. But if you're dyslexic, call me Nil."

"If you know the voice you're writing for it's such a shortcut. It's such a catalyst to creating the kind of energy you want."

"The music you love when you're a teenager is always going to be the most important to you."