Benedict Cumberbatch

"Pull the hair on my head the wrong way, and I would be on my knees begging for mercy. I have very sensitive follicles."

"One of the best things about being an actor is that it's a meritocracy."

"The further you get away from yourself, the more challenging it is. Not to be in your comfort zone is great fun."

"Looking for happiness is a sure way to sadness, I think. You have to take each moment as it comes."

"Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I'm also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated."

"Marvel always make it fresh so you can give it your personal twist."

"You come into this world as you leave it, on your own. It's made me want to live a life slightly less ordinary."

"Mystique is rare now, isn't it? There aren't that many enigmas in this modern world."

"If you have an over-preoccupation with perception and trying to please people's expectations, then you can go mad."

"When you freefall for 7,000 feet it doesn't feel like you're falling: it feels like you're floating, a bit like scuba diving."

"When you're a kid, 'Star Trek' is a slower burn. It's funny, it's entertaining, but it also has a maturity about it - which is its universal appeal, I think."

"I think playing any iconic role when you're stepping into big shoes, into the shadow of people who have come before you and you can't process that."

"I suppose my bodily proportions are quite flattering. I'm ripped, doing something I wouldn't normally do with my body, or having done to it, involving Watson."

"I'm excited to see where the Illuminati and whatever else might happen, how that works, and where it ends up."

"Our daily lives are so mundane, we get taken over by what is immediately in front of us and we don't see beyond that."

"Mum did a lot of commercial theatre and farces in the 1980s and '90s to make sure the school bills were paid."

"I can feel infinitely alive curled up on the sofa reading a book."

"We all want to escape our circumstances, don't we? Especially if you are an actor."

"It's the same thing, I think, whether it's breathing or meditation or yoga. And running is a great way of doing it."

"For brain surgeons it's particularly difficult to deal with failure. It was fascinating to learn about that whole world."

"Upper class to me means you are either born into wealth or you're Royalty."