Alan Rickman Quotes

"Talent is an accident of genes - and a responsibility."

"All I want to see from an actor is the intensity and accuracy of their listening."

"I do take my work seriously and the way to do that is not to take yourself too seriously."

"If people want to know who I am, it is all in the work."

"Acting touches nerves you have absolutely no control over."

"Each character I play has different dimensions. I'm not interested in words that pull them together."

"I don't think it's right that everybody knows everything about me."

"My parents certainly didn't have anything to do with the theater. I'm some kind of accident."

"I want to swim in both directions at once. Desire success, court failure."

"I have a love-hate relationship with white silk."

"Actors are agents of change. A film, a piece of theater, a piece of music, or a book can make a difference. It can change the world."

"I think there should be laughs in everything. Sometimes, it's a slammed door, a pie in the face or just a recognition of our frailties."

"And it's a human need to be told stories. The more we're governed by idiots and have no control over our destinies, the more we need to tell stories to each other about who we are, why we are, where we come from, and what might be possible."

"If only life could be a little more tender and art a little more robust."

"I've never been able to plan my life. I just lurch from indecision to indecision."

"It would be wonderful to think that the future is unknown and sort of surprising."

"I suppose with any good writing and interesting characters, you can have that awfully overused word: a journey."

"I think there's some connection between absolute discipline and absolute freedom."

"I am the character you are not supposed to like."

"It is an ancient need to be told stories. But the story needs a great storyteller. Thanks for all of it, Jo. "

"My idea of a real treat is Magic Mountain without standing in line."

"I'm still living the life where you get home and open the fridge and there's half a pot of yogurt and a half a can of flat Coca-Cola."

"There's a voice inside you that tells you what you should do."

"If you could build a house on a trampoline, that would suit me fine."

"The point about a great story is that it's got a beginning, a middle and end."