Charles Dickens

"A man is lucky if he is the first love of a woman. A woman is lucky if she is the last love of a man."

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it cannot be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope."

"Have a heart that never hardens, and a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts."

"New thoughts and hopes were whirling through my mind, and all the colors of my life were changing."

"There is nothing so strong or safe in an emergency of life as the simple truth."

"A very little key will open a very heavy door."

"It is a melancholy truth that even great men have their poor relations."

"A day wasted on others is not wasted on one's self."

"There are dark shadows on the earth, but its lights are stronger in the contrast."

"Never close your lips to those whom you have already opened your heart."

"If there were no bad people, there would be no good lawyers."

"Spring is the time of year when it is summer in the sun and winter in the shade."

"I hope that real love and truth are stronger in the end than any evil or misfortune in the world."

"Some women's faces are, in their brightness, a prophecy; and some, in their sadness, a history."

"The New Testament is the very best book that ever was or ever will be known in the world."

"There can be no disparity in marriage like unsuitability of mind and purpose."

"The broken heart. You think you will die, but you just keep living, day after day after terrible day."

"A dream, all a dream, that ends in nothing, and leaves the sleeper where he lay down, but I wish you to know that you inspired it."

"There are strings in the human heart that had better not be vibrated."

"The world belongs to those who set out to conquer it armed with self confidence and good humor."

"When a man bleeds inwardly, it is a dangerous thing for himself; but when he laughs inwardly, it bodes no good to other people."

"Nature gives to every time and season some beauties of its own."

"Do all the good you can and make as little fuss about it as possible."

"One should never be ashamed to cry. Tears are rain on the dust of earth."

"The shadows of our own desires stand between us and our better angels, and thus their brightness is eclipsed."