Aristotle

"Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom."

"What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies."

"Happiness depends upon ourselves."

"Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit."

"Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny."

"Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet."

"Those who educate children well are more to be honored than they who produce them; for these only gave them life, those the art of living well."

"Those who know, do. Those that understand, teach."

"It is not enough to win a war; it is more important to organize the peace."

"I have gained this by philosophy ... I do without being ordered what some are constrained to do by their fear of the law."

"To write well, express yourself like the common people, but think like a wise man."

"All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsion, habit, reason, passion, and desire."

"It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light."

"The more you know, the more you know you don't know."

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous."

"Character may almost be called the most effective means of persuasion."

"The secret to humor is surprise."

"The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet."

"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees the others."

"To lead an orchestra, you must turn your back on the crowd"

"Poetry is finer and more philosophical than history; for poetry expresses the universal, and history only the particular."

"Men acquire a particular quality by constantly acting a particular way... you become just by performing just actions, temperate by performing temperate actions, brave by performing brave actions."

"All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth."

"Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies."

"Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime."

"Happiness is a quality of the soul...not a function of one's material circumstances."

"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."