Light Ring And Its Purpose

Magnus's POV
How pointless is war these days? Shadowhunters and downworlders against demons to protect the mundanes. It's a war with no end so why keep fighting? I sighed as I threw power strikes at demons killing them one by one and sometimes shadowhunters which I regretted. I watched Catarina struggle with her magic but was still doing good. I heard the scream from afar distracting me.

Alec's POV
I sighed as I watched the endless battle. Downworlders and shadowhunters were getting slaughtered too quickly. A scream got my attention and fell down on my knees when I saw who was thrown falling to their death. Izzy, my sister. I could end this but was there another option? "You have to activate the ring, Alec," Eric whispered behind me. "I can't! I don't want to become immortal! I don't want the risk of you losing your powers!" I grumbled.
"There's no other option, I'm sorry"
I cried before activating the light ring. "Demons, retreat!" Clary yelled from afar. "Clary!" Catarina yelled running to her. How the heck I can see that, I have no idea. "You don't have the mortal cup though!" A familiar voice screamed. Magnus. "Demons, retreat and return to whatever hell you came from!" I shouted pointing the ring at the battle while thinking strongly about my true love. Then I fell unconscious as I felt the ring deactivate.

Three hours later

Alec's POV
I could hear voices forcing me to open my eyes and checked my surroundings. I was in the infirmary with Eric next to my bed I was in asleep and hurt badly. Probably due to deactivating the ring so late. "Alec?" A voice muttered. I turned to see my ex lover exhausted and worried. "M-Magnus," I struggled.
"Thank god you're okay"
"I wasn't even hurt, I think"
"You could've been if the light ring wasn't deactivated"
"I never thought I would use it"
"It was powerful and dangerous, Alec! What exactly were you thinking?"
"To end the endless battle!"
"Still. It's the most powerful since it's almost an exact replica of Eric's"
I stayed quiet not wanting to talk about how or why I would get something so powerful. In fact, I never told anyone about having it since I was the only one who knew what would happen when activated. "Alec?" Magnus asked, concerned. "I shouldn't even have used it," I whispered.
"You had no choice, Alec"
"You don't get it, do you?!"
"Alec!"
"I'm scared, Magnus. Activating the ring meant immortality and possibility of receiving some of Eric's powers!"
Magnus stayed quiet not knowing what to say. "You chose immortality?" Magnus whispered. "I had to," I replied.
"You're going to get through this. Catarina will help you and-"
"Catarina? Are you kidding me?!"
"What's so bad about Catarina?"
"Nothing! Why the hell does Cat have to be the one to help me?! I don't get to choose?"
"Alec-"
"Just because we broke up doesn't mean you can avoid me forever"
"I already have!"
"No, you still care about me. If you didn't, you wouldn't be here. I want you to help me, not Cat"
"No"
"Magnus-"
"I won't help you and that's final!"