The Choice

Catarina's POV
Demons were coming way too quickly. Too quickly that many were losing their lives. The shadowhunters looked devastated watching another of their own and would continue. I glanced at Magnus who smiled forcefully killing demons beside him. "We don't have enough shadowhunters and downworlders! We may have to retreat!" Jia exclaimed. "Retreat?! That's a terrible idea!" Jace yelled from afar. At least I thought it was Jace. Eric D'Matthews appeared out of nowhere with shadowhunters that had a light ring that gave them light magic strong enough to kill and command demons if they knew how to use it correctly. "We can help with that," Eric said before disappearing in the back of the battle since he was never allowed to fight.

Alec's POV
I ran immediately when I got the call. Originally, I was supposed to guard the Institute but when they were outnumbered, I was the first the non-fighters called. Besides, there were too many dead and I could possibly help them since I had the light ring. It was almost an exact copy of Eric's which made it the most powerful. Activating the ring was easy and I knew how to use it but I knew what would happen if I chose to do so. "Eric!" I yelled running into him. Eric turned and helped me balance. "Alec, shouldn't you be guarding the Institute?" Eric asked, concerned.
"They called me. I need to help them. I bought the ring"
"Alec, no. You know what will happen if you choose to activate it"
"I know but-"
A loud crash made us both jump indicating there were way more demons than before. "I have to do this," I whispered. "Alec!" Eric snapped but it was too late, I already activated the ring. The power flashed through my body quickly forcing me to use a tree nearby so I wouldn't fall. More screams came forcing me to use the ring killing all demons in the process as I fell on my knees grasping for air causing Eric to deactivate the ring making me exhausted.

Jace's POV
Alec was not doing good, I could feel it. It felt like he completely changed into a different person. I knew he had a light ring but had it hidden far in his closet as if not wanting to activate it unless had to. "Jace?" Izzy asked with concern in her voice. "Alec's fine, the ring just made him exhausted," I answered. Izzy nodded glancing at Catarina who was holding onto an exhausted Magnus.

Magnus's POV
"Catarina, I'm fine," I said as we walked to the back to see Eric. "No, you're not. Eric, make a portal back to the Institute," Catarina explained. Eric nodded following his orders. "Alec, don't scare me like that!" Jace yelled running up to him. I rolled my eyes as Jace almost hugged Alec to death. "Jace, I can't breathe," Alec replied. Was he crying? I couldn't tell.

Alec's POV
I woke up screaming causing Izzy and Jace to run in my room. "Alec?" They said in unison. "I'm no longer mortal," I blurted out making them gasp. "Come on, let's take you downstairs," Jace announced before leading me downstairs.

Magnus's POV
I was literally in a deep sleep until a loud scream woke me up realizing I was on the couch in the living room of the Institute. I heard footsteps forcing me to turn scaring the three shadowhunters. "Don't you have a room?" Alec asked since no one asked to bother questioning me. "I guess I fell asleep on the couch," I shrugged. Alec just rolled his eyes since he knew this happened often. It almost made me smile even though I broke up with him. How stupid I was that day. "I didn't wake you up, did I?" Alec asked, concerned. Of course he would still be concerned. "By the angel, Alec, that was your scream?" I asked. Alec nodded.
"You should recognize my scream by now"
"True but whatever"
"He did save us," Jace smirked. "You killed all the demons?" I asked. Alec nodded and held back tears. "I activated the ring and I wouldn't if I had other options," Alec croaked. "You saved us, Alexander," I whispered.
"Magnus, I'm no longer mortal"