Light My Candle Part Three

Start writing your story

It doesn't take long for the room to fill up, soon enough there are young adults and teenagers sprawled out on the bean bags chatting animately. Everyone is completely relaxed and Nash actually enjoys the ambiance, he feels comfortable in that setting. He and Matt talk amongst themselves, no one has really approached them or talked to them at all but Nash doesn't mind it.

"Okay everyone, it looks like we're all here so lets get started," Cameron says as he claps his hands to get everyone's attention. The chatter dies down as everyone turns their attention to Cameron who picks up a bible and leafs through it before opening it. "I want to introduce everyone to Nash and Matt, this is their first time here so I expect that you guys will make them feel welcomed."

A few of the people around them wave at them with smiles on their faces, Nash nods back at them, he wasn't expecting to be introduced.

Cameron begins to talk about a bible passage and Nash keeps his attention on him. Ordinarily he would find anything related to religion or the bible extremely boring but somehow Cameron makes it seem interesting.

They hold a discussion on the topic that Cameron picked, they're talking about the consumption of drugs and how to stand strong in the face of peer pressure.

Most of the youth share their experiences about feeling pressured at school by their friends to drink or use drugs, Nash hides a smile as he thinks of the irony that Matt is lying there high as a kite while they're talking about how to resist the temptation of using drugs.

The discussion lasts for almost an hour before the pizza arrives and they end the conversation to eat.

Nash sits next to Matt while they eat and soon they're joined by a girl and boy who approach them with friendly smiles.

"Hey... I'm Shawn, I'm Carol's grandson and this is Andrea, my sister, my grandmother told us you guys might come by so... we're just introducing ourselves. Is it okay to join you guys?" Shawn asks and Nash nods as he returns the friendly smile.

"Sure... nice to meet you guys. Thanks for coming over..." Nash says and trails off, he's not used to dealing with such friendly, polite people. Most of the people at the school that he and Matt attended were rude if you weren't in their clique.

They sit down next to Matt and Nash, they eat their food in silence.

"So are you guys still in high school or...?" Nash asks, he doesn't want it to get awkward because sometimes theres no coming back from that.

"We actually just graduated, we're going to attend the private Christian university just outside of town... what about you guys?" Andrea replies and Nash wasn't even aware that there was a Christian university anywhere near their city.

"We graduated too, but we're going to attend the community college here... it's way cheaper than the state school. Are you guys twins?" Nash asks curiously, Andrea and Shawn share a small smile.

"No... we're adopted so... we just happen to be the same age I guess," Shawn replies.

"That's pretty cool," Nash comments, unsure of what else to say.

Andrea changes the subject and they get to know each other more, Matt stays fairly quiet because he knows if he actually speaks they'll know that he's high. He's never mastered the art of how not to sound high and he's high as fuck.

When everyone is finished eating, Cameron brings out his guitar and Shawn actually joins him with his own guitar.

Matt, Nash and Andrea sit together as the rest of the group begins to sing. Andrea joins in while Nash and Matt stay silent because they don't know any of the songs that are being sung.