Light My Candle Part One

"Matt, dude. You CANNOT leave me alone in this, you have to come with me or I'll die. Literally, I'll die. You'll be at my funeral a few days from now mourning me and wondering why you didn't just come with me," Nash begs as he flops back onto his bed.

His mother just told him the worst news she could have told him. She's going to begin attending church and she expects him to attend with her.

The divorce changed her in a fundamental way that has pushed her towards attending church on a regular basis. Out of all of his siblings, Nash is the closest to his mother and she goes to him for support.

She's fragile and Nash doesn't want to cause her any more stress so when she brings up attending a church outside the city, Nash can't bring it in himself to say no to her.

He absolutely does not want to attend church, he doesn't believe in it. He believes in a higher being but doesn't necessarily believe that it's God. That and he's gay, which he hasn't ever told anyone but his best friend Matthew. He's not ashamed of who he is, he just doesn't want to cause drama within his family. He knows it would divide his family and he wants to avoid the heartache, at least until everything is settled and he's older.

"Bro, church? I mean do you think that's my kind of place?" Matt asks incredulously, he stares at the blunt between his fingers and wonders if maybe he took too many hits too fast. "Plus, I'm high as fuck right now."

"Yes, I'll pick you up and take a few hits of that blunt I know you're smoking because I'm going to need something to get me through the torture. It'll only be this one time, just to accompany my mom on her first time there, I doubt she expects me to regularly attend with her. She just doesn't know anyone there and doesn't want to go by herself." Nash states firmly, he has no plans on taking a 'no' for an answer.

"Fuck... I'd have to shower... and look presentable. Who even knows when the last time I did that was..." Matt trails off, Nash fist pumps the air because he knows he's convinced Matt to go through hell with him.

It seems a little sacrilegious to refer to attending church as hell but he can think of no better word for it.

"I'll be there in an hour," Nash says as he jumps off his bed.

They say their goodbyes and Nash walks into the bathroom to take a quick shower.

"Nash! Are you ready?" Elizabeth calls from downstairs as Nash is staring at his closest, trying to find something to wear.

"What the fuck do you even wear to church?" He mutters to himself as he begins to move clothes around, attempting to find presentable clothes. He wants to blend in, he doesn't want to bring any attention to himself.

"I'll meet you there, mom! I'm picking up Matt," he replies as he pulls out his only pair of plain black jeans and continues searching for an adequate shirt.

"Matt is coming??" Elizabeth asks and the excitement is clear in her voice, she's very happy that Nash agreed to attend church with her without any argument and that he's even bringing his best friend.

"Yeah, just text me the address." Nash says and Elizabeth smiles to herself as she pulls out her phone and quickly sends the address to Nash.

"I'll see you there, sweetie." She calls out before leaving the house and heading to the church.

"Fuck my life," Nash growls because all he has are graphic t-shirts that are absolutely not appropriate for church.

All the way in the back of his closest he finally finds a plaid button up from his preppy days that still fits him. "Thank you, Elizabeth."