The Art Part Five

When I drop Nash off at the airport we sit in the parking lot for a while and kiss goodbye. Our lips are so bruised and swollen from all the kissing we've been doing but it's the best feeling. I love it.

He has to check in so I give him one last kiss goodbye and pull up to the terminal. He looks at me sadly and then he gets out and goes up to his father who is shooting daggers at me with his eyes. I give him an awkward smile and I drive off before he gets the urge to come to my car and beat the shit out of me.

I made Nash memorize my number in case Chad goes on a deleting spree again.

I get to my apartment and sit down at my computer, I start to plan Nash's course for the upcoming year in my head. I need to contact Mahoghany about coaching him, I know she'll do it in a heartbeat. When he moves here, I'll figure out what sponsorships he has and then start from there. We need to make a website for him.

There's a lot to do and I'm excited. I want to be part of competitive swimming even if it's just behind the scenes.

I write an email Mahoghany regarding training Nash and when I'm done I start going through my work email. I've gotten so many offers after my article in the Times but none that really interest me. I click open an email and start reading it, my heart starts to pound as I realize that this is an opportunity of a lifetime.

Cameron,

I hope this email finds you well. I'm contacting you because I have a proposal for you, Your article in the Times really shows the behind the scenes and hard work that athletes put in. We would like to feature your work in the Times on a monthly basis. We would pay for all your travel expenses as this would require that you attend most major swimming events national and international. Please consider this offer carefully.

Sincerely,

Laura.

This is basically my dream job and if it wasn't for Nash, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Even though I could do both at the same time, I would be half-assing both of them. That wouldn't be fair to Nash or to the Times. I need to concentrate fully on one or the other. I already promised Nash I'd manage him and I can't leave him like that. But God, this job is so fucking tempting.

I decide not to answer right away, I know the answer will be no thank you but I still can't bring myself to do it just yet.

Weeks pass by and I still haven't replied to the email. Nash and I are skyping when I recieve a call from Laura regarding the position she's offering me.

"Laura, it's an amazing position but I'm going to have to decline the offer. Please believe me if this other opportunity had not come up, I would have definitely taken it. Thank you so much for the offer."

I tell her and we talk a little bit more, she wants to keep in contact in case I change my mind.

"What was that?" Nash asks and he has frown on his face. He's lying on his bed propped up with several pillows. he looks good like always.

"Just... an offer for a position. I can't do both so I declined it, I want to devote 100% of my attention to being your manager, baby." I tell him and he's quiet.

"Cameron... I don't want to hold you back. Like if that's your dream job then you should take it. My dad can continue to manage me, I'll deal with it." Nash says and I know he's not happy about the possibility but I love him for offering it.

"No baby, managing you is what I want to do. There's no doubt in my mind that I'm making the right decision." I tell him firmly and he chews his lips as he thinks about what I said.