Blue Part Five

They arrive at their camping spot just as the sun rises and it's absolutely beautiful. Cameron gets out of the car as soon as Nash parks and rapidly heads to his favorite part of the mountain. There's a dense forest with a river in the middle of it that ends abruptly in a high cliff and waterfall. Cameron ignores Nash's calls and isn't surprised when Nash doesn't even follow him. He sits on one of the huge rocks on the river bed and is inches from the cliff, but he's not scared. He lies back onto the rock and stares at the sky, it's beautiful with the rising sun. Usually he and Nash are here together, watching the sunrise. His heart hurts that Nash didn't follow him and he knows it's because of Anastasia.

He never calls her Stas. Nicknames are for friends and he doesn't consider her a friend of his. He lifts up his phone and takes a picture of the sky before posting it on Instagram. He's about to lock his phone again when he notices a post from Nash. It's a picture of him and Anastasia, he just posted it and it's of the two of them with their tongues sticking out. Nash captioned it "first camping trip with this goober.👅 #newtraditions".

Cameron clenches his jaw as he stares incredulously at the post. "Is he fucking serious?"

Cameron can't help but assume that Nash did it to hurt Cameron. Saying new traditions seems like a direct dig at him.

He angrily shuts his phone off and closes his eyes. It's cool up in the mountains and Cameron has t-shirts and shorts on but he refuses to return until he's calmed down. He takes in deep breaths and let's the sound of running water and the earthy scent of the forest calm him down and soothe his spirit.

He hears footsteps approaching him and opens his eyes expecting to see Nash but instead finds one of his close friends Jack Johnson.

"What's up dude? You bolted as soon as Nash parked," he asks quietly. Jack has always been soft spoken, he's probably the closest to Cameron apart from Nash. He knows Cameron fairly well and can tell that Cameron is upset about something.

Cameron hesitates, unsure of what to tell Jack. "You know I don't like Anastasia, her personality and mine just don't mesh well but I feel like she's trying to replace me in Nash's life. I'm used to being his best friend, you know? It just feels like she wants to be his best friend, not me."

He opts to go for as close as he can get to the truth.

Jack nods and they both stare off at the world below them. "I think she wants to be more than his best friend, but I also think she doesn't like how close you guys are. Some girls are like that, it's weird."

"Nash would have asked her out by now, you know him. He's not shy about that," Cameron comments. "Maybe someone should clue her in."

He feels guilty for attempting to use Jack as his spokesperson but if he spoke to Anastasia it wouldn't be very effective but it might be if Jack was the one to do the talking.

"I doubt she'd listen even if someone told her. She's stubborn, plus Nash does need to start dating again. It's been years since Taylor, he claims he's over it but I haven't seen him date anyone or even ask any girls out. He can't stay single forever," Jack comments and Cameron swallows back a groan of frustration because Nash isn't single.

He contemplates, for the first time ever, telling someone about he and Nash without Nash agreeing to it. He bites his lip as he seriously thinks about it. If there's anyone he'd trust with the secret, it would be Jack Johnson. He knows Jack would never betray his trust but if Nash found out he'd never forgive Cameron.

"Nash would date if that's something he wanted. He's just concentrating on school right now, plus he could be dating someone and not tell us," Cameron says, getting as close to the truth as he dared to.