Best Mistake Part Four

Nash is the happiest he has been in a long time. His parents notice the difference and so they start snooping. They start with his phone first. They don't find anything but that doesn't mean anything to them. They start to monitor their oldest son closely and they don't find any strange behavior. He goes to sleep when told, he attends church, he goes to school. And just when they're about to give up his father decides to look at Nash's phone log on their bill.

There he finds thousands of texts sent back and forth with a number from California. He shows his wife his findings and they are perplexed. They don't have any family or friends in California, where would their sheltered son find a friend in California?

So a few weeks later when Nash and Hayes enter the house after school and their parents are standing at the doorway, Nash knows they've found out and he knows what they're going to do.

"Nash, we need to speak to you." Chad says and Nash hangs his head and follows them to his office. Hayes is staring at him with wide eyes, he's scared for his brother.

Chad lays out the copies of the phone bill which shows Nash's activities for the past month.

"Who is the owner of that number?" Chad asks him. They already know, they already found out who's number it is but they want to find out how far gone their son is.

"A friend from school," Nash answers quietly, he's staring down at his hands because he knows his parents are going to completely lock him out. They're going to take his phone, they're going to monitor his every step. His mind is racing with ideas on how to see Cameron one last time.

"And does this friend attend church?" He asks and Nash swallows.

"Sometimes. He started attending because of me," Nash replies truthfully. Elizabeth studies her son and her heart pangs a little when she sees how defeated and upset Nash looks, completely different than the last months. Are they making the right decision?

Chad pauses, he didn't realize that Nash had been witnessing to his friend from school, but it makes sense, Nash had never been one to break the rules. He glances at Elizabeth, who looks back at him with wide eyes.

"Are you trying to win him for the Lord, Nash?" Chad asks and Nash's heart begins to beat fast as he realizes that his parents have taken his answers to form a scenario where their son is not breaking the rules, where he's a stead-fast soldier recuriting souls for the Lord.

"Yes," he whispers, he tries so hard to maintain the same tone of voice and posture. He doesn't want them to know the happiness that is coursing throughout his veins because he doesn't have to give up his boyfriend, they can be together.

"He sits next to me sometimes in church. He's from LA and he was so lost when he moved here. I started talking to him about God and Jesus' love and sacrifice for us. So he started coming to church and I think he wants to start reading the bible," Nash explains softly.

His blue eyes fill with tears as he thinks about the reality that could have been, that he would have had to give Cameron up, at least until his parents gave him an out.

"I just wanted you guys to be proud of me and Jesus to love him," he sniffles softly as the tears fall. Elizabeth pats his back awkwardly.

When they let him return to his room with his phone, Nash flops onto his bed and he rubs his eyes as he realizes how close he came to losing the love of his life.

"Well?" Hayes asks Nash as he looks at him with wide eyes.

Nash tells him exactly what happened and Hayes breaks out into a wide smile.

"I was so scared, Nash. But things worked out. They always work out." Hayes says with a happy smile on his face.

But unfortunately for Nash, his parents eventually figure out the truth. He does get another month with Cameron that he would not have had before.

One night Chad is up late trying to catch up on work before the new week begins he glances outside and he sees someone running across his lawn and down the street.

He quickly heads outside and he squints his eyes to make out Nash getting into a car and leaning over and kissing the driver.

The rage coursing through his veins is unparalleled. His son, just snuck out of the house and got into the car with another man and kissed him.

He enters his house as he returns to his office and tries to gather his thoughts. It is by chance that he finds out that Gina Dallas works under him for the business he works for.

So when Nash returns home that night and his father is standing in the foyer he knows that he's been busted and there's no getting out of this one.

Chad isn't a violent person but at that moment he wants to unleash the brunt of his rage on Nash. But he doesn't, for his wife's sake.

He leads Nash into his office and they sit down. Nash watches Chad quietly, he's awaiting his sentence.

"You are going to repent from your sins, Nash. You are going to break up with that boy or I will have his mother fired and it will be because of you." Chad says firmly and Nash's eyes widen, he had not been expecting that at all. He had no idea that Gina even worked for the same company his dad does.

Chad holds his hand out and Nash hands over his phone. He has no regrets. He is so happy that he was able to be intimate with Cameron before this moment.

"We're pulling you out of school, you'll be home schooled for the rest of the year, until you graduate," Chad declares and Nash almost wants to roll his eyes but he refrains from such behavior.

He just nods and when he finds himself in bed later he cries into his pillow for the times that he will miss with Cameron.

Nash isn't the same, the happiness is gone from his eyes and the light has been extinguished. He just patiently waits until he graduates and he can move on with his life.

When Nash graduates from school he doesn't hesitate or second guess his decision. He packs his meager belongings and he stops by a payphone to dial the number that he never forgot.

"I'm free."

A/n- I'm so freaking sorry, this is probably the worst ending to a story ever. But it was hanging over me and I lost the inspiration to finish the story as I had originally planned. :( :( I'm sorry again. If I ever come back to this to spruce it up I'll let you guys know.