The Funny Farm Part Two

As soon as I go through intake I understand why this asylum has the reputation it does. It's old, practically ancient. It seems like nothing was updated since it was first built in the 1800s, maybe it was true about the ghosts.

I guess I'll find out and honestly, it's exciting.

I'm given a plain set of pants and shirt, they do a full body search that makes me think of the that animal in Dr.Doolittle that says 'I have just been violated!'. They shove me down the hallway that leads to the main hub, the circular office has glass all around and I'm sure the workers just sit on their asses and watch the wards for their comfortable seat. They really can see down each hallway from their location and I guess it was a pretty smart design.

As soon as I'm shoved into the hallway they lock the gate behind me, I turn and give them a smile with my middle finger up.

"You're assigned to room 6, asshole." The guard mutters before he turns away and I wonder if this is what being in prison feels like. You would think you'd get better treatment considering the fact that you're a patient, not an inmate but that's neither here nor there.

I make my way to room six and the door is propped open, I enter to find a thin, blond boy who's so tiny I feel like I could snap him in half like a twig. It's a plain room, just two beds and a small window.

He turns in his bed and I meet his blue eyes head on.

"Oh lovely, another roommate. My last one hung himself from the ceiling." He tells me joyfully as he sits up. He's kind of creepy, exactly my kind of person. I glance up at the ceiling, there are wooden rafters and I can see how one can use it to hang oneself.

"So, what are you in for?" He asks me with an excited bounce, it's like he's my college roommate and we're meeting for the first time.

I sit on the bed across from him as I eye him critically.

There's an awkward silence as I study him, he looks at me with wide, innocent eyes that I'm sure are just an act.

"Schizophrenia," I answer after 10 minutes of us just staring at each other.

"I'm here for narcissistic disorder with a touch of bipolar. My parents tried every other hospital in the state, this is their last resort." He explains happily and I'm still not sure what to make of him.

"Well I went to the ER because the government had implanted me with a nanochip device, I was feeling dizzy and stuff afterwards so I went in because I thought I might have some side effects from the chip. Anyway, while I was there the voices told me to shank the doctor and I told him I didn't have a knife but that I could get one if he gave me 30minutes. So when I felt better I told him I could go but then he said no because I'm a danger to others... whatever the hell that means. So now I'm here." I tell him and he nods solemnly at my crazy ass story. I have to fight the laughter that threatens to bubble forth and somehow I manage to keep a straight face.

"I'm Jack," he introduces himself a few moments later and I tilt my head because he doesn't look like a Jack.

"I'm Cameron," I reply and he bounces again with a smile on his face.

"My parents think I'm narcissistic because I like to wear makeup and dress up as a girl. I mean I like attention on me, I don't think that's a crime right?" He complains and I nod in agreement.

A bell rings and Jack rolls his eyes." That means it's lunch time. I'm trying to lose 5 pounds by the time I'm discharged from here. I want to fit into the skirt I wore in 8th for the 8th graduation we had."

I raise an eyebrow at him because he's thin as it is but his face tells me not to say something. I contemplate saying something anyway just to find out what makes him tick but I change my mind at the last minute because I should have at least one friend here.

We stand and I follow him to the dining area, it's a room that's the first door after the gates, there's 4 tables set up with trays already sitting at each chair. Jack takes a seat and I take the one next to him. The food looks plain but edible so I pick up my fork and poke at the chicken before I pick it up and shove it in my mouth.

As I eat, Jack just sits there watching me with a disgusted expression.

"What?" I ask him with my mouth full of food, he dramatically gags.

"Just thinking about the poor chicken that gave up his life to feed you," he says airily and I roll my eyes.

"Yes, let's mourn the death of Sir Chicken, we barely knew ye." I reply sarcastically as I take another bite of chicken, I lean in close to Jack and chew in his ear. "Mmm, so yummy."

He screeches and punches my arm before pushing me away. He's very weak but I let him push me away.

My attention is caught by a worker who has her hand on the arm of another patient, he's wearing an untied straight jacket, I didn't even know those were still used but it seems juicy, maybe I can get myself thrown into one of those.

I start thinking about what I can do make them put me into one of those. I'd have to be out of control for sure, maybe try to beat up other patients? They might not care. Maybe attack a worker? That seems more likely.

I keep staring at the boy who shuffles behind the worker until she stops at an empty table. I didn't even notice that table had just two chairs with one tray on it. As I study the boy I realize that he's blankly staring ahead, as if none of us exist. He only moves when tugged at by the worker, she positions him in front of the chair then pushes down on his shoulders until he's sitting.

I'm fascinated by this boy.

I want to know more about him.

A/n- short ass chapters but I'm updating so... Love me anyway? Lmao 😹