Dangerous Minds Part Nine

Hayes Grier figured with the abrupt departure of his older brother his life would get a lot better. He no longer had to compete with Nash for his parent's approval and affection. He believed the source of his unhappiness was Nash, Hayes was popular, he was captain of the JV football team, and he now had the majority of his parent's attention. But for some reason Hayes was not happier. When Nash strolled into school with a brand new style and a new attitude, a lot of the girl's attention shifted onto him. They liked the bad boy aura that Nash had now and they vied for his attention even though they were never going to get it.

He thought when Nash graduated that things would change, Hayes became captain of the varsity football team and his senior year was going to be the best year of his life. Nash wasn't going to be around to steal the attention with his flashy car and expensive clothes, Hayes swore that his life would be perfect. And yet despite that, Hayes still was not happy.

So now that it's the last few months of his senior year, Hayes finds himself wanting to live life more like Nash. He wants to be a rebel, he wants girls to want him because he's a bad boy. He wants tattoos, he wants brand name clothes and a nice car. He wants everything Nash had but it kills him that he can't get it. He doesn't have a Cameron in his life.

He hasn't seen his older brother since he graduated high school, Nash still picks up Skylynn but he stays in his car while Skylynn happily runs to the car. All she talks about during week is what she and Nash did on Sunday and how she can't wait to see him again. Hayes is tired of hearing about Nash. It kills him to want to be more like Nash, the jealousy he felt as a young teenager has grown and morphed into hatred for Nash.

His mind wanders to that awful night where he had to find his way home all the way from that godforsaken inner city ghetto. He feared for his life that night, Cameron Dallas is terrifying. Hayes likes to lie to himself and pretend he didn't know what he was getting Nash into. He's said it so much to his parents that he's started to believe his own lie, now he will swear that he had no idea what kind of man that guy was and he genuinely believed it was a prank.

Hayes leans against the wall of his school and stares out at the field, he has a cigarette in one hand and a lighter in the other. He's never smoked before but he figures he should start, especially if he wants to be seen as a bad boy. He lights it with trembling fingers and when he takes a drag in, he begins to choke and cough. The smoke burns his lungs and he wonders what the attraction is. He doesn't want to pussy out so he continues carefully take drags in until the burning is more tolerable and actually starts to feel relaxing. He smokes the entire cigarette before flicking it to the ground and stepping on it like he's seen others do.

He never saw Nash actually smoke or anything like that but he's certain that Nash must have picked up that dirty habit.

From that moment on Hayes decides that he'll try anything at least once. On a Saturday night his parents believe that he's at his best friend Tez's house but he's actually at a house party in an unsavory part of the city. People at that party are attracted to Hayes, his clear blue eyes and plump lips make him so attractive. He has a drink in one hand and a cigarette in the other. He has a nice buzz going so when a girl sits on his lap he begins to grope her and their lips connect in a drunken, lust infused kiss.

The party dies down until there's just a few people left sitting in a circle. Hayes doesn't know them too well but he doesn't care, he easily fits in by modeling their behavior. They start preparing a needle and Hayes watches as they all share the same needle. He doesn't want to ask what they're taking because he doesn't want to seem naive so when it comes to his turn he the girl tightens a belt on his arm, making his veins bulge out. She injects the substance into his vein and he feels the most amazing euphoria moments later. He's flying high and everything feels amazing, he's not sure how it happens when he ends up in a bed with two girls and that night he loses his virginity.