Nayeli

I wish I have some way just to escape. Run like there's no other thing on my mind. Run like my life depends on it... But in this scenario... My life is actually on the line. Though I'm not complaining as much as I thought I would... If my life doesn't seem like it's in danger every few minutes, I think I would be pretty much loving it here. But of course, my luck isn't where I want it to be as of right now. When is it ever? And I'm never this serious... I'm always making some kind of joke, or embarrassing myself occasionally because that's what makes life... Interesting.

But now that I'm here... All that goofiness has somehow been tossed aside. My whole personality is wiped clean. I don't like it at all. I miss my old self, and I know the scientists have at least something to do with it...    

Scarlet follows me into the blank rooms as the door closes.

"I really hate it here," I say earning a nod from Scarlet.

"Who knows, your feelings for this room could change."

I shrug.

"I just want to get out of here. Go back to my family."

Scarlet sighs as she looks to the side, her eyes filling with emotion. I never asked about Scarlets parents. But she seems to never care... I wonder what happened, or why she doesn't seem to like her family. She never talks about them, and never seems to miss them. How can you not miss your loved ones?

We wait in silence for a while, until we hear various clacking noises.

We glance at each other.

"Something is maybe moving towards us. I don't think it's dangerous though," Scarlet suggests and she turns to the back wall.

I nod, following her gaze. It lands on a television screen that slides down the back surface slowly.

"Well... That's not dangerous at all," Scarlet mumbles and I chuckle.

"And we're over here scared about what it was."

Scarlet grins.

"You were. I don't know about me."

I roll my eyes and the television flicks on, showing a boy with brown hair swept to the side, brown eyes, and dark skin.

I back away slowly, not liking this one bit. All the teasing that I just finally got myself to do, runs away.

I force myself not to frown as I stare up at the boy.

"Ok, this is just a tiny bit weird."

"Come on, listen to him. This might be important," Scarlet protests, keeping her eyes on the boy.

Before I can say anything, the boy speaks first.

"Hello, I'm scientist Carter. I'm going to be your instructor for practicing your powers day one. Now remember, I'm a recording, so I can't hear what you're saying. But I'm controlled to know when to move on to the next step."

I take a few steps back over to Scarlet, who's listening intently. I still don't like wherever this is going. When can I leave?

"You only have two powers so this shouldn't take long. You have been told that you have the powers of ice and snow. Let's begin with ice."

Two dummies appear on the ground, and Scarlet and I tilt our heads.

"Please stand on the two X's."

With a bit of hesitation, Scarlet and I walk to the X's and wait. I'm willing to do anything now to get away from here. Anything to get away from him. Anything to make him stop talking.

"Now what I want you to do, is put your hands out in front and say the command word 'ice'," Carter demands as I shake at his monotone voice.

I glance at Scarlet who nods, and sets her hands out.

"Ice," she commands and ice shoots out of her hands in needles, hitting the dummy straight in the chest.

I can't believe how shredded and frozen it looks after that.

I shake my head to get out of the daze I'm in, and set my hands up.

"Ice."

I gasp at the sudden burst of cold air that hits my face.

"To stop the ice, say the command word 'stop'."

Scarlet tenses, "Stop," we say in unison and the ice slowly wears away, dripping off our fingertips and turning them a light shade of blue.

I look at them weirdly, a bad feeling slowly beginning to trail up through my stomach and a flash of Edan's face shows in my head. I gulp, looking back to Carter with a paled face.

"Well done. Now let's work on snow."

The dummies flip, revealing brand new ones. I hear Scarlet wince, and I glance over at her, surprised to see her look incredibly sick.

"Are you alright?" I ask nervously, setting a hand on her arm.

She jerks it away suddenly and I flinch at her sudden reaction.

"I'm fine," she growls and I stay silent.

What just happened? She's supposed to be incredibly sweet and doesn't flinch away from a comforting touch... She just... Flipped.

"For you, snow is something that simple distracts your opponent. Snow can be used to fog up somebody's glasses, or trip when it melts."

I cross my arms, tapping my foot irritatingly.

"To make snow drop from the sky or ceiling, simply whisper the word 'snow'. And to make it stop, you simply say the command word you used for the other power."

Snow starts immediately dropping from the air, and it isn't coming from me. Scarlet looks desperate to get out of this tiny room, so I know she will be doing things quickly. But that makes me nervous. She didn't seem to be too distracted by the room, but now seems so desperate that I feel a bit... Scared.

As soon as the snow stops falling, the door opens showing the scientists with worried looks on their faces.

"I feel weak," Scarlet whispers and I whirl to look at her.

Her wild brown hair seems to wilt, and she falls to the ground.

"Scarlet..." I mumble, running over to her.

"Are you ok?"

She shrugs as her eyes look every which way and she groans.

"She should feel weak for the time being. She used her powers for way to long," Devin states.

"So... What about me?"

"You used your powers for a certain amount of time. You should feel fine," Jenny answers and I hold in a sigh of relief.

I stand up, not losing eyes contact with Scarlet.

"We'll take care of Scarlet. You should go rest or get something to eat," Devin commands and I nod.

Jenny and Devin walk into the room, brushing past me as I watch silently as they pick Scarlet into their arms.

I hesitate, staring for a moment longer before slowly walking out of the room that causes so much pain.