Lizeth

We walk into the silent room as our footsteps bounce off the walls.

I look around distastefully, no words coming from my mouth. I don't know what to think about coming in here again. I have so many bad memories in here, that I don't know if it was the scientist's intention, or that it just came to be that way.

Mike and I stand there in nervous silence for a moment, taking in the quiet that we won't have for long.

I feel terrible. Physically, and mentally. I have no idea what the problem is, and I can't do anything to help my friends out with the trauma situation they may be going through.

"Well... I'm nervous," Mike blurts and I flinch at his voice, jarring me out of my thoughts.

"You're always nervous," I reply and he glares at me.

"Who isn't?"

"What do you think is going to happen?"

"Power training maybe?" Mike suggests and I face palm.

"Right, duh."

A noise cuts off our chattering and we freeze in place. We hear a zing with a few cracks and grinding.

I step in closer to Mike, my body tensing up.

"What was that?" I ask, looking around the room.

Mike turns toward the back wall and sighs with relief.

"Just a television," he responds making me grunt.

"I hate feeling anticipation."

The television stops in the middle of the wall, and Mike shifts nervously.

"If it explodes, it was nice knowing you," Mike whispers earning an eye roll from me.

The television flicks on and I flinch again. Mike chuckles and I glare at him.

"You never know what could happen!" I protest, crossing my arms.

Mike doesn't reply to that, staring at the television with a small grin on his face. My heart lightens a little, knowing that a small flinch can relax him in even the worst times.

A boy with blue eyes, tan skin, and curly blond hair shows up on the screen.

"Um... That's not freaky at all," Mike whispers and I don't reply, tilting my head curiously.

"Hello, I'm scientist Deric. I'm going to be your instructor on practicing your powers day one."

Shivers crawl up my spine. I glance at Mike, who doesn't meet my eyes as he simply sits down on the ground. Oh, what a great way to handle this type of situation.

I sit next to him and we look up at Deric like watching a movie.

"Now remember, I'm a recording so I can't hear what you're saying. But I'm controlled to know when to move on to the next step."

I glance over to Mike, seeing his eyes squinted and a frown on his face. I frown as well, turning back to the screen and feeling lightly exposed. Is Deric lying? Can he actually hear us? See us?!

I choose not to ponder on it, shifting my thoughts to the all the possibilities that can survive this experience. 

"You have been told that you have the powers of the shield, and Invisibility. Except here's the twist, for generations of this program the girls always got the shields, and the boys always got the invisibility."

I sit up straighter.

"Generations?"

"How long has this program been up exactly? And that's totally not fair," Mike whispers sharply at me and I roll my eyes.

"Ha-ha," I tease making him glare at me.

But I do question the same thing he is. How long has this program being going on for...? And why hasn't it worked all the other times they tried? What happened to the people who were even involved with the program? Are they dead? Alive and hiding somewhere...?

But the one question I continue to ask myself in my brain starting now is...

If the program has been going on for ages, exactly how big is this problem we're facing now?

"The dummies that I will assemble, are made to attack you."

I flinch yet again, bringing me out of my thoughts. I wasn't expecting that one bit. I'm no longer in a teasing mood.

"Wait what?!"

"Here's how you beat them: The girl has to make her opponent confused for 30 seconds, and take the weapon out of its hands using her invisibility. The boy on the other hand, as to activate the shield and block the opponents attacks 10 times. If you complete these actions, you win and are free to go," Deric states with a smile.

Mike shakes his head slowly with a grimace, and I pat his shoulder.

"You'll make it," I mumble reassuringly only half joking.

But it's true, he has a whole-body shield that nobody has even tested yet. He actually might get out of here without a bruise or scratch... Me on the other hand...

"Now to activate your invisibility, all you need to do is think about turning invisible, and it will most likely happen. To activate the shield, you need to set your hands out in front of you, not too far away from your body, and say the command word 'shield'," Deric continues and he clears his throat.

"Get ready."

Mike and I flinch for the one hundredth time. We spring up to our feet, just when two dummies decide to pop up from the ground. They each have metal swords in their hands, which makes me doubt myself if I can actually do this.

Without warning, they sprint towards us. I gasp and Mike jumps a little.

"Run!"

We split apart as one dummy decides to go after me. I need to turn invisible, and in order to do that I need to think about doing it.

I close my eyes and think about myself disappearing. Once I open my eyes again, my dummy has stopped.

Slowly, it begins to look around confusingly. I smile and begin counting the seconds, 1... 2... 3...

I glance over at Mike to see the dummy clashing its sword against him. Sparks fly as the sword hit the invisible barrier and I nervously turn my attention back to my attacker. 10... 11... 12...

I walk towards it, coming up behind. 17... 18... 19...

I slowly bring my hand up, and wait for the right moment to take the sword. 24... 25... 26...

Once I hit 29, I take the sword out of its hand and the dummy immediately falls to the floor. A smile grows on my face, and I sigh with relief.  

"Ha! I did it! Lizeth where are you?" I hear Mike yell happily.

I look over at him to see his dummy on the floor as well.

I smile, walking towards him.

"To become visible again, say the command word 'visible'. And to take the shield away say 'un-protect.'"

Mike looks at the ground, concentrating.

"Un-protect."

I take his hand by surprise,

"Visible."

I know I have appeared when Mike flinches again at the sight of me. I chuckle, and he glares at me.

"Not funny," he mumbles only making me laugh more.

The door opens and my smile slowly fades. The scientists appear but they have a blank expression on their faces... Almost worry.

I'm about to say something but Mike falls to the floor, scaring me out of my pants.

"Mike!" I yell about to help him up, but my legs turn into noodles and I fall with him.