Lizeth

I wake up feeling numb and zingy as I sit up. I'm in the dining room, right on the couch next to the door of the lunch room... What? What am I doing here? My cheeks burn. I wonder who came up to see me like this, passed out randomly in a random location.

I look over to my right and see my partner, Mike, sprawled on the other couch.

"What happened last night?"  I think to myself.

"The pill," I hear a boy answer and I immediately stiffen, not saying anything until I'm brave enough to try again...

I hope some random boy didn't just decide to jump into my head.

"Who's there?"

"Mike," he answers and I sigh happily.

So It isn't a stranger.... Well... kind of.

"How?"  I ask sternly, trying not to let my joy show through.

"I don't know, I just heard you thinking so I answered."

That's when his eyes open, and we stare at each other in shock for a second. We both aren't dead, we can talk in a private way, and we have no idea how we got here.... Great situations we got ourselves into.

"Hey," he says aloud.

"Hi," I mumble back, watching him as he moves around uncomfortably.

"What's under me?!"

I watch silently as he reaches under himself and grabs a piece of paper. I inch closer on the couch I'm sitting on, trying to read through the bold white.

"Well, well, well, great place to put a note scientists!"  Mike says sourly.

So it's a note... I get up and stumble a little like I haven't been walking for ages and Mike sits up, staring at the note. I sit down next to him, reading the note aloud.

"Go to the place this all started," I read, watching as Mike's features change under my gaze.

"Any chance it could where we took the pill?" He suggests.

I think for a while, even though I know he can hear me. The funny thing is he doesn't look like he can... How does this day keep getting more confusing than it already is? I feel like this whole day just progressively enjoys getting worse... If it is the day is the same day we took the pill... How long have we been out?

"Yeah probably... But when what started?" I ask and Mike shrugs in response.

He stares at a spot on the floor, in deep thought and I realize I can't hear him and I wonder why.

Something is going on, I know it. When we took the pill, the scientists said it would be changing our bodies... making them into something greater... I don't understand that until Mikes eyes turn a grayish color. It's so sudden I don't know if it's real or not.

"Uh... Mike?"

"Yeah?"

"Why are your eyes gray?"

His eyes widen.

"They are?!"

I reach over to get a closer look and my hand bangs against something metal. I wasn't even touching Mike before that barrier showed up. But I can't see it.

Mike stares at me as I give a confusing look. I put my hands close to him again, and bang into an invisible wall. I feel around it, seeing that it goes all around him like a cube.

"It's like a shield!"  I say smiling.

It's like an invisible, metal flat surface going all around him.

Then, his smile that he produces slowly disappears.

"Where did you go?" He asks me.

"What?"

"I can't see you!" He says, chuckling nervously.

He reaches over to me, grabbing my shoulder. His hand slides down my arm, making me shiver.

"You're invisible!" He yells laughing and my eyes widen.

How is this possible? How did such a tiny pill make me turn invisible? The bad part is, I don't know how to control it, I don't know when it happens, and I can't tell if it's based off an emotion or not.

After a moment of comfortable, but fragile silence Mike smiles again.

"You're visible."

I reach towards him yet again and there's no shield blocking me anymore. His eyes are back to his normal blue ones.

"We need to talk to the scientists," I say and Mike nods in agreement, his face turning serious.

I hesitate a moment, glancing to the elevator and regretting ever not running away. Or at least trying too. My body and probably Mike's have maybe changed forever now. And with this invisibility that just decided to pop up out of nowhere, my life has completely flipped around. It's changed. And it's continuing to change way to fast.

With a tight breath, I glare at really nothing, getting up and walking to the elevator with Mike following.