Chapter 9

"Why...."  Lizeth's voice trails off when the door opens.

"Oh look... They're here," Jenny mumbles and we all turn in our seats as they walk in.

I pale significantly. Boys?

They're about our age, and they look pretty surprised to see us too.

Two girls enter the room as well but I don't pay much attention to that.

My eyes shoot to one boy immediately as I find him staring right back. We both tilt our heads at each other, confused for the other looked as though they were a twin from the opposite gender. My head pounds excessively, and I force myself not to react.

Everyone stays silent and the scientists stand up before clearing their throats.

"Now, now, I know you guys are surprised. This is not at all what you were expecting," Devin begins and I tear my eyes away from the boy to give the scientists a glare.

"We are going to choose which one of you will be the partner of the other," he continues and I straighten.

"What?" I ask them.

"You basically joining them as their partner... a colleague like Devin said."

My mouth drops.

"No way," Nayeli mutters.

"So, let me introduce them." 

Devin walks over to the first boy in the line. He has light brown hair swept to one side, blue eyes, California tan skin and a few tattoos. 

"This is Luke."

Emily straightens in her chair, and I smirk. Emily looks like she is about to faint.

I'll be honest with you, for the entire year that I've been friends with her, I've never seen her act like this.

My smile fades a bit once I look closer at her face. She wasn't necessarily attracted to him, but mostly nervous... Like she's met him before but can't grasp her memory on it.

Devin's movement to the next guy cuts me out of the daze and I glance back to him as Devin moves to the next one. He has hazel eyes, taper fade haircut, and caramel skin. 

"This is Austin," Devin says, patting his shoulder.

He moves to the next one. He has blue eyes, brown straight hair that didn't seem to want to calm down in the front, and tan skin. 

"This is Mike."

His movements suddenly turn slow as he moves to the next one slowly, which is the boy who hasn't stopped staring at me just yet.

Emily jostles me with her elbow, a shocked look on her face. She even realized that we look identical. The boy had curly brown hair, brown eyes, and light brown skin like mine.

"This is Justin," Devin continues, shaking his shoulders. 

"And this here is Diamond and Scarlet."

Diamond has curly hair like Gema's, but golden with blue eyes and tan skin. Scarlet has brown curly hair, with green eyes and brown skin.

I shiver in my chair, wishing that Justin would peel his eyes away from me.

"When will you decide?" Nayeli asks and Jenny looks at her tablet.

Nobody moves for a split second, until the food decides to make its way over to us.

"Now," she responds, making me freeze. Now?

"Did you just say...? Now?" Lizeth asks her, trying to see if she misheard something.

Jenny nods.

"We have been looking for your matches this whole time. What did you think we were doing under this table?"

Matches? What does she mean by that?

I stare at her, unable to speak. Anna sets down our food and I turn in my seat, and immediately start to eat. Anything to get my mind off this, would be great.

Jenny stands, "Let's get on with it then."

My head pounds sharply, and I drop my food that's on its way into my mouth.

"Are you ok Edan?" Emily whispers, and I nod.

She still gives me a worried look.

"I'm fine I swear."

She sighs and turns to eat her food. I bite my lip and stare down at my plate. I'm nervous. The word "Partner," doesn't seem to keep me still. Along with the word "Matches," it seems to rattle me quite a bit. Everything is moving too fast for my sake, and the keeping of my sanity.

"Let's start with Emily," Jenny says, making Emily freeze.

"You're with Luke." Emily drops her fork, no surprise there.

I cover my mouth and laugh into it. She sits up straight and clears her throat, glaring at me.

"You will get to know them tomorrow, just a simple heads up," Devin concludes, making me shiver.

"Jada, you're with Austin," Jenny continues and Jada smiles at the table.

"Lizeth you're with Mike, and Edan you're with Justin."

My mouth drops before I close it quickly. Of course I am, I thought. I slump in my chair, trying not to be noticed.

"Gema, you're with Diamond, and Nayeli you're with Scarlet." Nayeli waves and Scarlet waves back.

Luckies.

"Good now let's get eating. Girls, join the table, and boys get another," Devin commands, as they all take their seats.

Soon after, we're all done with our food and we separate to go to our rooms. I shut the door behind me and slide against it. I bury my face in my hands.

It's too much. How do they expect us to get along with boys? I'm nice... but I can get out of control sometimes. Especially with these new and improved head pounds that seem to get more and more painful the more times they happen. And I mean, I can get embarrassing and try multiple failed attempts to be funny.  Trust me, I'm ashamed.

I sigh hesitating before getting up. I want to explore the building a little. I feel like I'm locked in a box.

I go to my closet and change into a high low black dress, with a flower neck line. I put on sandals, tied my hair in a bun, grabbing a backpack that's already in the room, filling it with journals and essentials just in case I need it, and head out the door.