Edan

My whole chest hurts. Every time I try to move, pain will make its way through me. I must be bruised pretty badly... Who am I kidding? I'm bruised so badly I don't know if I will ever get better... But I have too... For my friends.

What would the scientists want to talk about? My heart races as all the possibilities flood my mind.

I really want to go through those memories again. But I don't know how to ask. That's been on my mind all day. Those memories that no one seems to remember. And I'm so glad that the scientists don't seem bothered by the fact that everybody is in my room... When they aren't supposed to be.

Everybody takes his or her seats, not daring to argue about what's going on, thinking they've broken enough rules set by them already.

Everybody dawns into silence.
Jenny clears her throat, pain flashing in her eyes.

"I'm here to tell you guys that I'm sorry. I shouldn't have been so careless, and left my door open. I should have never made the necklace in the first place."

We all are silent, too nervous and guilty to say anything. Is that all?

"There's... One more thing... We have both been hiding something from you guys," Devin admits.

"Shocking," Justin mutters and I ignore him, squinting my eyes.

Devin turns on the tablet, showing us the screen. We all gasp.

There are 6 squares, and they each show one Snap Girl... But thing is, is that I'm in all of them.

"These... Are the memories that you had for the test and to help control your powers," Jenny states.

"This one right here," Devin points to a square with Emily and I. "Shows fear."

I'm so confused. It will be the right time to ask if we can go through them again.

"Wait what?" Emily asks and Jenny sighs.

"Ok, so we captured you all and transported you into memory landscapes. These show us if you are capable of joining us or not. If you are able to fight and stay alive, then we wake you up and you've passed."

"Why am I in all of them?" I ask suddenly, my voice barely audible.

"Well... You were – and still are - the variable," Devin responds and I only find myself more confused than before.

I'm about to open my mouth to speak when Emily beats me too it.

"Wait... I remember this..." She says, getting up and walking to the screen that they hold.

Emily and I are flinging knifes and arrows at these marshmallow looking men.
"Toby..." She whispers, and Jenny's mouth drops.

Devin closes his eyes, giving out a shaky sigh.

"How do you remember that?" Jenny asks her, shocked.

"How could I not? My mother died in there," she answers, disgusted.

What?! Mother?! That doesn't make any sense, does she have two moms? One in the memory and one here? This is so confusing.

"Yeah... I remember Edan disappearing after we went through that portal!" Lizeth states happily. Portal?

My mind is completely blank.

"Oh! We were fighting in the army together! You don't remember that?" Jada asks sadly. I shake my head slowly.

"We were in war together," Gema adds.

"We traveled through a mysterious garden in the back of my dad's mansion in London," Nayeli states.

"That's amazing," Luke whispers.

"I don't understand," I say, wheezing and looking from one friend to the next.

"Don't worry. We explain more of this later but right now, we have yet another problem to face," Jenny states still flustered.

"What's the problem?" I ask, holding in a sigh.

"... Dinosaurs."