Chapter 29

I feel someone shaking me lightly. I force myself not to groan as nausea sweeps over my stomach.

I open my eyes slowly, seeing Justin stand over me. I try to smile, but it won't come. All of my body aches just as much as it did yesterday.

Those "so called visions," really took a wild toll on me, and I'm glad I didn't have any dreams. After that monster encounter, I don't think I would be able to handle it.

"How are you feeling?" Justin lightly asks.

His voice echoes in my ears and I shift uncomfortably.

"Sick," I try to answer, but I soon came to realize that my voice doesn't necessarily work either.

"Sick," I try again, telepathically.

"You can't talk?" Justin asks aloud making me envious, which to my surprise makes me feel guilty.

What's going on with my emotions lately!?

"Nope. My throat feels raspy," I respond, watching the smile that spreads on his lips.

He slowly reaches out behind him, taking out a glass of water. My eyes widen and I sit up rapidly, taking the glass out of his hands and practically draining it down my throat.

"Wo, wo, wo, drink it slowly or you'll have the hiccups!" Justin says, chuckling.

I set the glass down on the nightstand, and smile sweetly. Justin rolls his eyes,

"Here."

He reaches behind him again, and takes out a plate full of eggs, pancakes and bacon.

"Thank you," I try to say, but the water didn't really help as much I would want it to. It makes my voice out of tune.

I grab the plate and Justin hands me a fork.

"What do you think is the big deal?" I ask, earning another disappointing shrug.

"Who knows? Best to find out huh?"

"Are you scared?" I ask, starting off on the eggs.

He hesitates on that, his eyes silently watching me.

"Yes."

I smile at him again.

"I always am."

"Not always. I've seen your brave side," he says flirtatiously.

I roll my eyes with a smirk.

"Yeah, well I'm scared even when I look brave."

Justin doesn't look like he has an answer to that, so I just continue eating, seemingly joyful that I won that conversation.

"I was thinking after we get these powers straight, we could party in the party room," Justin asks excitedly and I nod again.

"Sure, if I'm feeling well enough."

Justin frowns, which I feel bad about. I know one of these days I would have hurt somebody because of these darn powers. They make everything so much more complicating then they really are.

"Oh yeah."

I frown with him.

"You can go without me," I suggest quickly, not wanting to change the mood.

He shakes his head with a surprised look.

"No way. That would be unfair. And besides, we have a whole life to party with anyway... You know... Trying to survive and everything."

I can't decide whether he's trying to tell a joke or not... But I still keep the frown. It's in my nature to think that everything that I do wrong is my fault... But... I believe everybody thinks like that sooner or later.

"I'm sorry," I blurt. 

"Don't say that. It's not your fault," he protests, making me confused.

I wonder if he heard that part in my mind, or if it's just instinct... I really need to get to know him better.

We lock eyes again and Justin starts to look nervous.

"Uh... Edan..." He whispers, scooting away.

"What?"

I now feel self-conscious. Do I have something on my face?

"They didn't put the eye drops back in, did they?"

I hold in a gasp.

"No... They didn't."

My heart starts to beat wildly. One of my powers must've turned on while I was thinking... My plate grows cold and I look down, letting myself flinch. Ice is forming all over the plate.

Without thinking, I quickly let go. Who knew I could quickly turn into Elsa like that?

"What color?" I ask quickly.

"Light blue," he squeaks back.

I sigh in frustration. These powers are making me go insane. I don't understand why we have them. There's no problem that we're facing except for the occasional "Oh whoops, we have to upgrade you again because of how un-responsible and forgetful we are! Get ready for pain!"

"They're brown again," Justin whispers, rubbing his temples.

I lay my head back on the pillow, groaning. He smiles down at me, lightly rubbing my arm.

"It will be over soon."

I snap a look at him, trying to ignore the shocks that run up my arms.

"No it won't."

He laughs.

"That's the spirit," he yells making me laugh with him.

"Yeah! I got three laughs... I think... Today!" He continues, throwing his hands up.

My laugh subsides, but I keep my smile.

"You're amazing," I mumble.

"What?"

"Nothing."

He smiles at me again.

"Alright. Eat quickly, and get dressed. Head over to the classroom when you're done."

I nod, sitting up and scrunching my face at the thought of eating frozen food.

"How will I eat?" I ask stupidly, trying to break the ice with my fork.

"I don't know... I think the emotions are what caused the powers... Red means anger right? Get angry and see what happens."

I shrug and close my eyes. I think about my about friends that betrayed me so many times, the acts of love that I couldn't get, my biggest flaws that were something I couldn't fix and leaving my family. Anger slowly begins to rise in me, making my body quake.

"Wo!" I hear Justin yell.

When I open my eyes, half of my bed is practically burnt. My mouth drops in shock and guilt rushes through me. Poor maids... If there are maids.

"Oops."

"That... Was so cool!" He yells, jumping.

Half my pancake is burnt but luckily, my eggs look just fine.

"Um... I should probably hurry..." I mumble and Justin nods, heading out of the room.

I always think about how life would be like, if the scientists never have picked us up... How boring, and stressful I would feel as life trudges on. But really what's the difference? I'm probably going through more stress than I'd ever have to go through on a regular basis.

I immediately swing my legs over and stand up, tripping over my weak legs and scramble to the bathroom to change.