Chapter 4

I keep my eyes trained on the boy as he comes over to me first. He lifts my head causing my whole body to tense, and I squeeze my eyes shut. He presses down on the plunger.

"Breathe in."  I

breathe in sharply.

"And gulp."

I gulp down the bitter taste, making me cringe. Terrible as always. 

When we're all done, the boy walks up to the girl and faces us.

"Alright. Now you can come in. We have given you our word that we will not hurt you. So don't be afraid," the girl states lightly, her words not making me feel any better. But then again, when did they?

They motion us again to follow them, as they walk up to the aircraft. The boy goes up to a single red button on the side of the craft and a large noise sounds. We all flinch as a door unlocks, and begins to open to a large ramp leading to the inside of the craft.

Emily grabs my hand and squeezes it so tightly it hurt and I bit my lip to keep me from wincing.

The door opens all the way, and with no sliver of hesitation, the visitors walk right into the car crushing aircraft and I glance at the others. We slowly begin to follow them, unsure what the heck we're doing, but knowing that there's no other way.

Once we're inside the aircraft, the whole atmosphere drops about ten degrees. The walls are a bronze medieval color, and there's barely any light except for the few torches along the hall walls. A few seconds of not moving, and staring absently at the desolate plain, the door behind us shuts rapidly.

Before I can even question the situation, Nayeli and Gema burst into a run, banging on the doors and trying to find a way out. I cross my arms with Lizeth, Emily and Jada staring blankly at them.

"Guys why- " Lizeth is about to ask, but Gema answers for her.

"Cause the door wouldn't have shut that rapidly if something was going to... happen..."

Gema's voice trails off.

"What?" Emily asks and Gema looks around slowly.

"Where are the . . . scientists?"

Emily twirls around franticly.

"What! They wouldn't just leave us here, they need us!"

Lizeth and Jada start looking around as well and I stand there, looking appalled and dumbfound.

I turn slowly to the bronze walls, my eyes squinting at the weird space. The weirdest thing in the room is probably the corners. They're not going in... They're coming out, and the only way we can probably look around is through the one hallway going to the right of us, and around the corner making me feel claustrophobic.

I glance around the room, seeing about six backpacks in a line with our name on them. How could we not have seen those? Above them, is a note.

"Guys wait... Look at this."

I walk over to the backpacks and note, kneeling down to read the note aloud.

"Greetings fellow subjects. These backpacks are filled with supplies. I am a riddle so don't . . . piddle?" I glance to the others and Jada simply shrugs.

I roll my eyes and continue reading.

"Follow the directions and they should lead right. But watch yourselves it could lead to a fight. Use your brains, and don't go insane. This is a test so do your best. This will tell us which one of you to use. So don't..."

I can't read on. The letters are scratched.

"So what!?" Emily asks impatiently.

"I don't know! That's where the letters end."

"So this is their idea of not hurting us?" Jada snaps and I shrug, not knowing what to tell her. We have nowhere to go.

"Come on. Look through the backpacks it may have a clue. Each one has your name on it," I say and everybody hesitantly grabs a backpack.

Mine is blue, Emily is red, Lizeth is green, Gema's is also red, Jada is yellow, and Nayeli is pink. I glance at Emily and Gema, questioning why they have the same color but I turn away, finding it unimportant.

I dig into my backpack finding that it has water, food, a flashlight, a rope, and a tiny, tiny, tiny sword.

"What the..." I take out the sword, seeing that it can only fit on my two fingers.

I squint, trying to see it better as I place it in the middle of my hand. As soon as I do that, it immediately starts to grow.

I flinch on instinct, but able to keep the sword in my hand as I continues to grow onto full size.

"Woo!" Emily yells, and I grip the cold and golden handle.

I stare at the silver and shiny blade, my mouth slightly open. I look around and everybody seems to have the same supplies... From what I can tell.

"Look into your bags, there should be some type of weapon in there," I say excitedly, smiling as I watch Emily look through her bag like it's her very first present on Christmas.

"I got something!" She yells, pulling out a tiny spray bottle.

It's black with a green skull as the design.

"I don't get it," Nayeli blurts.

A wicked smile grows on Emily's face and she stands. She looks around the bronze walls for a second, her brown eyes lighting up in excitement, as she sprays the bottle at a nearby wall.

There's a hissing noise at first, and it looks like the gas is making a portal. It circles and turns, rolling in different directions and everybody stares in awe. 

The hissing noise grows quiet, and the smoke flutters away and a few seconds later, a giant hole is in its place.

Everybody gasps and Emily cackles.

"I love it!"

"That's definitely your style," Jada points, chuckling.

She looks through her bag next but to her disappointment, all that comes out is a tiny grapple hook.

"What? Really?"

"Hey, it may be awesome," Emily points out, swaying her spray bottle in her face.

Jada shrugs, and lets the grapple hook grow in her hand. She aims it at the weird corner, shoots it, and immediately leaps into the air.

She screams as she gets knocked against the wall, banging herself into the corner. Her arms go limp and she groans, the air knocked out of her lungs.

"It will take a while to get used too!" Lizeth yells and Jada groans again in response.

"Ok my turn," Gema says quickly.

She digs into her backpack, and to my shock, what comes out is the tiniest gun I've ever seen.

"YES!" Gema shouts.

"No fair!" Lizeth whines.

Soon, Nayeli gets a whip, and Lizeth gets a tiny dagger. We're pretty pleased with our weapons after a while. It expressed our personalities well... Mostly. Jada is still groaning about the grappling hook.

After a minute of high discussion, we all decide that it would be smart to explore the aircraft. We all pack our stuff and go down the hallway, our weapons in hand.