Chapter 6

Usually, during these types of circumstances, I would have risked my own life to get Nayeli out of there if there was any conclusion that Nayeli dies on the spot. But, with my head pounding brightly, I gasp when I realize Nayeli looks like she knows exactly what she's doing.

She dodges perfectly, sweeping through the spikes like they're the easiest thing to come by.

We watch her silently as she dodges through the spikes like her own Kung Fu Panda trainer, until she disappears... And we wait and wait, until it feels like forever.

"Did she die?!?" Gema finally shouts and I don't reply.

I don't want to think that way. Being lost in this stage for who knows how long, not being able to do anything about it but retrace our steps... But I didn't hear her scream as she waltzed through the obstacle.

"Oh no . . . maybe she did," Lizeth answers, her voice shaking uncontrollably.

Then, just when I'm about to smack myself for not jumping in right after her, the spikes stop.

They lower down into the ground very slowly, making a loud creaking noise. I watch it go down, my mouth open as Emily falls to the ground.

"It's alive! Oh... I mean... She's alive!" Emily yells, her hands in the air.

I exhale loudly, relieved that indeed, she lived.

"Yes!" Lizeth yells.

"Woo!" Jada shouts, as Gema claps her hands.

"That's my friend right there!"

"You go girl!" Jada yells after her, making me chuckle.

Once the spikes have lowered all the way, on the other side, Nayeli waves her hand from across the room. We all sprint towards her, giving her one great hug.

"I told you, I told you!" We cheer, as the door next to us opens loudly.

We slowly separate from each other, my relief completely gone as I glare at the door as if it opened as loudly as it did to remind us that we have a job to do.

"Ok. We can celebrate later... We got one more stage," I whisper and the tension in here soars wildly.

"Ok Jada. Ready?" Nayeli asks and Jada exhales before nodding slowly.

"Ok. Let's go," Lizeth mumbles and we all walk through the door.

We walk down the dimly lit hallway in deep silence. Torches as our only light source, dance across the side walls. I glance around nervously, trying not to pay attention to our wicked looking shadows. The only noises that can be heard are the sounds of our loud and stressed breathing, our shoes against the smooth floor and the crackle of the torches fire. 

"It's kind of creepy," Gema mumbles and all I do is nod in response. To terrified to speak yet again.

"Will something pop out at us?" Lizeth asks, and I glare at her.

"Don't ask that! I'm already as scared as it is."

Something cracks in the distance and we freeze yet again. I look around, seeing another note stuck to the wall. I look to the direction it's stuck too, but don't move.

"Yellow," I whisper, watching as Jada shivers.

"Lizeth, do you see any traps?" Jada asks.

"Yes, I'll start you off. Jump when you take a couple of steps, there should be a button at the end like always."

Jada nods, exhaling loudly.

"Good luck," Nayeli whispers, making Jada smile sadly.

She closes her eyes, making me wonder why everybody does that, and with that she sprints across the room. Spikes immediately shoot from the walls, trying to nick at her, but she dodges perfectly, moving swiftly across the ground and doing flips I didn't know she could do.