Chapter 21

The hour is done more quickly than I expected it to be. We spent all our time dancing with everybody on the dance floor, completely forgetting about the rest of the building. Once the hour is up, Devin on the intercom called us back to "the place this all started," and the happy smiles I saw minutes ago seem to fade. And the weight on my shoulders sets over me again.

"Did you guys have fun?" Jenny asks as we make our way through the door.

The scientists are in the control room again and I'm already getting nervous all over again as my head pounds.

"Yes," we all say at once, making them smile.

"Good. Now it's time for phase three. Please stand in a line," Devin commands.

With a little bit of hesitation, we do as they say. Jenny and Devin come out of the control room with Jenny holding yet another box. This place seems to be extremely high tech, and yet everything is held in cardboard boxes. 

"These my friends are the big guns," Jenny says excitedly.

"No pain," Devin intervenes and the tension seems to loosen a little.

"What are they?"  Diamond asks.

"You'll see. When I call your name please come up," Jenny responds as she glances at all of us.

I try not to meet her gaze, staring down at the floor.

"Lizeth."

I look over to Lizeth who stiffens. She slowly shuffles up, her eyes scared, as she grips her hands in front of her. Jenny looks through the box, and pulls out a jewelry case. She opens the case and I see a metal bracelet with a small animal picture on it. Jenny presses a button and the bracelet snaps open.

"Your wrist," Jenny demands.

Lizeth slowly puts her wrist up, and Jenny puts the bracelet on. It immediately snaps onto her wrist, closing and I flinch at the sound.

"Why does it feel like its squeezing?"  Lizeth asks her, lightly scratching at the metal clasp.

Jenny gives a tensed smile.

"You won't be able to take it off."

I suppress a groan. There's the catch.

"What! Why?"  Lizeth asks franticly.

"Don't worry. It's a protection weapon; it's perfectly comfortable is it not?"

Lizeth looks at her bracelet for a while, scanning over it with tension.

"I... I guess it is." The scientists smile again. "Nayeli."

                       * * * *

After everybody has their bracelets on, the scientist's order eight of us to go in to each of the glass-protected rooms. I slowly enter the tiled room, and the scientists close the door behind me, locking it. For some reason, I'm not as scared like I thought I would be. I know I would be in a minute. I'm never this lucky.

"Now what I want you to do is press the animal picture on your bracelet. The animal will show up in full size, probably the full size of a wolf, and it will look like a constellation. When it comes up, the only thing you will be able to see perfectly, are its eyes. You have to tame the animal in order for you to be in command," Jenny begins through the intercom.

My heart finally speeds up and my head zaps in pain as the pounding comes back. What animal will I get?

"When you do, it will bow to you and you will be able to control its size, and what it should do during battle," Devin continues and I look at my bracelet and find a picture of a wolf.