Chapter 27

I walk into the eating quarters where my friends sit in a circle laughing, eating and having fun. But my stomach growls, churning as it cramps up. The bad feeling erupts in me, and I force myself not to groan but I take a frown instead. I was looking forward to being comfortable and happy at this moment, but I guess not. I know something bad is about to happen, but I don't know what.

Everything feels... Different. I don't know how I know that, but something is definitely off about this setting, and I don't want to find out.

Nayeli's eyes meet mine and she stands, jogging over to me with a smile on her face.

"Where have you been?" she asks, wrapping her arms around me.

"We've been worried! We thought you weren't coming back! We're sorry about taking things too far with your personal thoughts."

I sigh and nod. Typical friend apology.

"It's alright. I have made it official that I do like him," I say calmly, making a bored expression across my face.

Nayeli stares at me, confusion contorting her face.

"You..."

Realization hits her face, and she gasps.

I smile, walking past her and grabbing a chair, setting it next to Justin.

"I really thought you weren't coming," he questions and I shrug.

"I'm just full of surprises," I mumble back as my palms begin to sweat. Just great.

We all talk and laugh, and barely eat anything. If we were eating, it was just throwing food into someone's mouth.

Soon, it's when the scientists come into the room, when all the mood drops. Everybody's faces turn blank, and Lizeth rings her hands nervously. I squint my eyes, confusion turning into suspicion.

"We need to go to class as soon as possible! That problem that we are facing is coming much sooner then I planned. We need to control your powers by tomorrow," Devin states sternly, his voice echoing throughout the open area.

I shudder slightly.

"What's the problem exactly?" I ask, making the scientists hesitate.

"We will tell you tomorrow," Jenny answers, making me frown.

Emily slams her fist on the table and everybody around her flinches. She stands, rage in her eyes.

"Why is everything you're going to tell us having to wait a longer time!? Tell us now! You're making us stand in anticipation again! You probably won't even tell us tomorrow!"

Luke puts a hand on her shoulder and Emily immediately relaxes. She sits back down and sighs, rubbing her temples with her fingers.

I can't blame her for having that little outbreak. I bet everybody would love to yell at the scientist's sooner or later. Emily's done the right thing in my eyes.

"I'm sorry... I don't... I don't know why I yelled like that so suddenly."

"Suddenly," seems to throw me off somehow. The world suddenly spins as the bad feeling hits me hard in gut. I wince at the sudden change, and Justin looks over at me as I bend over, holding onto the table.

"Edan?" Justin asks worryingly.

"I'm fine! I'm fine," I snap, gritting my teeth.

The scientists stare at me for a minute, before walking calmly over to my side.

"What are you feeling?" Jenny asks me.

"Pain," I respond quickly, surprised at my sudden burst of trust.