Chapter 20

After we all get the eye drops, the scientists said we can go and explore for our hour. We all decide to walk through the front doors out into the open air. I feel the fresh air hit my face as we all walk over to a picnic table. We all climb in, staying silent for a few moments.

"I hate this," Emily mumbles, rubbing her eyes.

"Yeah, it feels weird," Lizeth agrees.

"How many more trials are we going to have to do?" Gema asks next and I set my head on the table.

"I don't know how much more of this I can take," I say helplessly and Justin rubs my back reassuringly.

"It's a lot to take in."

"Does anybody have any idea what's going to happen next?" Mike asks and I watch everybody shake their heads.

I sit up, smiling at Justin.

"I want to explore the other floors."

"That sounds like fun!"  Scarlet agrees and I stand up, realizing that we've been here literally for 20 seconds. Oh well.

"Anybody coming with?"  I ask and everybody stands in agreement.

We all lightly get out of the picnic tables, and walk back towards the double doors yet again. We race to the elevators and pile in. I press the fourth level and we all talk about our guesses of what this floor will be.

When the door opens, we all gasp.

"Oh... my... gosh," Jada whispers breathlessly.

Everybody stares at the gigantic pool.

I take a few steps out of the elevator, looking around the large tan tiled space. Soon, everybody follows. The pool looks like it's the size of a bus, and two hot tubs were on either side. The whole room is filled with tan tiles and beach chairs. And there's huge window on one side of the room, sending in a whole bunch of natural light.

Diamond screams with delight and runs over to one of the hot tubs. She presses a button on the side and bubbles fill the tub. Some bubbles even fly in the air.

"This is incredible!"  Diamond shouts, trying to touch them.

"This... is going to be my favorite room,"  Justin blurts, running over to Diamond to join her on whatever she's doing now.

I roll my eyes, a smile playing on my lips.

"I wonder what else is in this place," Nayeli asks dreamily. Diamond and Justin keep playing around with the bubbles, not listening.

"Justin!"  I shout, watching as his head snaps over to me.

"Want to check out the rest of the building?"

His new green eyes sparkle and he nods. He presses the button again, and the bubbles stop. He picks up Diamond so she won't press it again. A yelp escapes her, then a laugh as he sets her down next to Gema and walks over to me.

"Let's go!" Emily says excitedly.

I smile at her then flinch when Justin takes my hand. With my heart fluttering, we enter the elevator. I press the third floor and we wait.

"That was amazing!" Lizeth yells and nobody responds, dazed smiles going all around.

When the door opens, Luke almost falls back in shock and Emily laughs at him.

"It's my party place!"  Luke yells, before sprinting out of the elevator, grabbing Emily's hand on the way and we all step out.

The room is dark, but filled with colorful lights. There's a bar, and the dance floor in front of us is huge, and there are tables all around.

I laugh.

"This is my favorite."

Justin nods, and out of the corner of my eye, Luke is ordering Emily a drink and a few people are dancing or eating. My smile lightens when I see Emily actually happy, with the stress of what happened gone from her eyes. This is what I'm looking for in my friends. True happiness and no stress at all.

"Never mind my nerves! This is amazing!" Jada yells as Austin takes her hand, twirling her.

"You bet," he states and Jada laughs.

They run to the dance floor with Gema and Diamond following close behind.

Mike takes Lizeth over to a table, and Nayeli and Scarlet are behind the dance floor, looking at the music. And all I do is stand there. Feeling a large weight lift off my shoulders knowing that my friends and I would turn out okay. Emotionally at least.

Justin squeezes my hand.

"I can't wait to relax," he mumbles and I nod again.

"This is all great but...."  My voice trails off.

"But what?"

I stare ahead, lost in thought.

"What price will come? This is all too huge and great, there has to be a price," I respond, looking at Justin who I can tell is trying not to glare.

"I think you're the one who needs to relax. If there is a price, then you need to wait for it. Enjoy the time you have now until... I guess the big showdown."

I glance at the ground, biting my lip nervously. He's right. I can't be waiting anxiously for whatever is about to come to this. I need to relax now, or I might not get it again.

I sigh, pushing my bangs back and taking a deep breath.

"Ok."

Justin smiles.

"Well alright, that one word will work for now!"

I chuckle and set a hand on my hip. I still hate the fact that he acts like we've been friends all his life. I still don't understand why he can still be comfortable around me. I envy it.

"Come on I'm bored, let's dance!" he pleads and I force a laugh.

"Alright Mr. Relaxation."

He laughs with me and his eyes glaze over, showing some type of emotion that I can't catch.

"I like the nickname," he says lightly, twirling me and making me loose contact with his emotion as he leads me to the dance floor.