Regency!SteveRogers - Viscount (PT 2)

Comenzar desde el principio

"Lady Carter, I meant the other Miss Carter..." Steve looked apologetic and Jocelyn stiffened.

Peggy looked stunned, unable to speak until Amanda actually did so.
"Jocelyn? You...you wish to speak to Jocelyn? Why whatever for?" Amanda looked at her niece as though this was some kind of joke.

"Me?" She now finally was able to get some words out.

"Lady Carter...please". Steve asked once more. "I wish to speak to Miss Jocelyn alone.".

Of course both Oeggy and Amanda were practically gawping, but soon found the ability to move. Peggy shooting a cold stare to her cousin as she vacated the room.

Once the door was closed, Steve turned back to Jocelyn. "Miss Carter..." he began, but she stopped him.

"Please...before you say anything else. Think about what you are about to ask..."

"I've thought about it a lot, and my decision is final". He now took the box from his pocket and got down on one knee. "Miss Carter, you might think I'm making a mistake but if I'm honest? It's probably the first decision I've made in a while that I'm confident is the right one. Would you marry me?"

She was speechless and wondered whether this was some kind of joke. "But...but you've spent time with Peggy".

"And you, I spent time with both of you - and the more I have, the easier it was to decide just who would be more suitable as my wife. Other men might not have noticed you in the way that you thought they would, but I noticed you in the way I wanted to".

"You would choose me over Peggy?" She asked quietly, "but...she's more accomplished, suitors have been fighting for her every season. She is all but ready to marry you".

"She may have been my choice when I met her - however I then met you, and I knew I needed to decide. Peggy is beautiful, and she'll make a great match - just not with me. That much is clear now". He looked up at her. "Jocelyn...I need an answer".

She felt her head spin a little. The Viscount, the man who women were all but fighting over to win, was choosing her?

"Yes..." she said in a daze.

"You will?" He grinned up at her and she nodded quickly - Steve getting to his feet and sliding the ring on to her finger.

Her aunt and uncle would be furious - Peggy even more so. She'd been tipped to be the next viscountess, it had been speculated for weeks. But now the talk would turn to her. The woman who nobody would have thought would be able to make such a match, let alone be noticed. She was practically a wallflower after all.

"I...I don't really know what to say". Jocelyn half laughed and looked down at the ring.

She was betrothed.

The door opened and her aunt and uncle both stood there astounded - Peggy was nowhere in sight.

"Lord Harrison - if I could talk to you in your study for a minute?"

Harrison stared at them and nodded. "Right this way, my lord".

Amanda walked in once the pair had gone and grabbed Jocelyn's hand, looking at the ring. "You have ruined this for your cousin - she was all but set to marry the Viscount and he asks you?! Did you plan this?"

"Of course I didn't! I'm just as a shocked as you are! I thought he was going to ask Peg!"

"Well he didn't, and now we need to find her someone just as equal in match as the Viscount was! Now she's upstairs with her future in tatters!"

Jocelyn did feel bad, of course she did - after all she had all but taken her cousins suitor without intentionally doing so. "Where is she?"

"In her room, leave her be - I shall speak to her but for now? You are best to stay away. I shall write to your parents and tell them about the match. Then I suppose I should help you with wedding plans...goodness what a mess". She muttered the last part to herself, although Jocelyn was still able to hear.

Somehow what should be a happy occasion had now turned into a dismal one - at least for her aunt and uncle. Now she knew that there were probably more trying times ahead- especially when the news would hit that the Viscount would be marrying a wallflower.