Chapter 33

Mallory

The campus cafe buzzes with a sense of liberation as exams have finally come to an end. The prospect of summer vacations looms ahead, and I can't help but feel a surge of excitement. The last few weeks, filled with intense study sessions and stolen moments with Adam, have been nothing short of dreamy.

As I wait for Kylie to arrive, I ponder the upcoming break. Thoughts of lazy days, beach trips, and uninterrupted time with Adam fill my mind. The connection we've built during our study sessions has deepened, and the romantic interludes have left me craving more. He's become the embodiment of my dreams, and I can't get enough of him.

I glance at my watch, wondering why Kylie is running late. The waitress approaches, and I order coffee for both of us, hoping she arrives soon. My eyes wander around the cafe, taking in the post-exam atmosphere. That's when I notice Matt, locking eyes with me from across the room. His expression is intense, and a sense of unease creeps over me.

Attempting to brush off the discomfort, I turn my gaze elsewhere, hoping to avoid any confrontation. However, to my surprise, Matt decides to join me at my table. I remain silent, not acknowledging his presence. His voice breaks the silence, a forced casualness in his tone.

"What's up?" he asks, as if we're on friendly terms.

"Nothing much," I reply curtly, still avoiding eye contact.

He persists, seemingly oblivious to my indifference. "Where have you been? You haven't been home in days."

"I don't know what you're talking about," I reply, my discomfort growing.

Matt leans in, his voice dropping on a harsh, threatening whisper. "Tell me where the fuck you've been."

I feel my heart race as his aggression becomes palpable. "It's none of your business," I repeat, my tone firm.

Suddenly, he slams his fists on the table, the unexpected loud noise causing heads to turn in our direction. I flinch, startled by his aggression. "Were you with Adam?" he demands, his voice seething.

I meet his eyes, defiance flickering in mine. "That's none of your concern, Matt."

"Your whereabouts are my concern, Mallory," he declares, his tone demanding.

I roll my eyes, exasperated by his audacity. "Newsflash, Matt, you have no right to know where I am or who I'm with. You're not a part of my life anymore."

His jaw tightens, and he sneers, " Moving on quickly, aren't you?"

Snorting in disbelief, I fire back sarcastically," You're one to judge, Matt."

Without warning, Matt lunges from his seat, his grip closing around my arm. Panic surges through me as he pulls me towards him. "You're coming with me, Mallory. I'll remind you why we belong together," he mutters, his fingers caressing my cheek in an unsettling manner.

I resist vehemently, the desperation in his actions sending shivers down my spine. "Are you crazy?" I exclaim, pushing against his chest.

Before the situation can escalate further, a familiar voice breaks through the chaos. "Back off, Matt!" Kylie's stern command echoes in the cafe as she swiftly approaches and pushes Matt away from me.

"Stay out of this, Kylie!" Matt snarls, still gripping my arm tightly.

Suddenly, a towering figure approaches us, placing a firm hand on Matt's shoulder. The stranger's presence is intimidating, and I watch as Matt's confident demeanor falters. "You should leave her alone," the man growls, his voice carrying a weighty threat. Matt glances over his shoulder, sizing up the imposing figure behind me. After a moment of tense silence, he reluctantly releases his grip on my arm.