Chapter 1

Mallory

"Come on Melanie, I don't want to be late" I say as I walk into the room my sister is getting ready. She is three years older than me and we look nothing alike. Melanie seems to have inherited every ounce of our mother's beauty. She is the picture of delicate elegance, a petite and graceful figure with a cascade of straight, chocolate-brown hair that frames her face like a gentle waterfall. Her eyes, the color of hazel, sparkle with a warmth and depth that draw people in like a cozy, inviting fire on a winter's night. On the contrary, I stand tall and blonde, my hair reminiscent of the summer sun, and my eyes a piercing shade of cerulean blue, resembling more our father.

People often ask if we are even related. Our physical dissimilarities are so stark that it seems impossible we could share the same blood. But those who know us well understand that there is something far more profound connecting us than mere genetics. Our differences doesn't stop at our looks, and in many ways, those distinctions are what bound us together.

"I can't find anything to wear" Melanie whines as she goes through her full closet. She turns around to face me and then her eyes go wide and I groan. I know what is going to happen next.

"Hmm, that's a great outfit"

"I know, that's why I picked it out" I say as she wiggles her eyebrows. "Oh my god, you are such a child sometimes. You have twice as many clothes as I have" I say as I begrudgingly take off my clothes.

"You can wear anything you want from my closet!!" she says grinning mischievously.

I start going through her closet and it is overwhelmingly full. Melanie always had a penchant for fashion, but since she started working, her shopping sprees have become relentless. It was like stepping into a fashion wonderland, where clothes of every color, style, and texture hung in an organized chaos that only a true fashion enthusiast could appreciate.

I move deeper into the closet, navigating through a sea of garments, and that's when I stumble upon a hidden treasure buried beneath a pile of summer dresses. Nestled between a series of elegant gowns was a breathtaking champagne dress, its fabric shimmering in the dim light of the closet. I am taken aback by its sheer beauty. It's a dress I have never seen Melanie wear, and it is unlike anything I would have expected her to buy.

Slipping into it, I felt a rush of excitement as the fabric enveloped me like a second skin. To my astonishment, it fit perfectly, hugging my curves in all the right places and accentuating my body in a way that made me feel like a work of art. I turned to admire myself in the closet's full-length mirror, and for a moment, I hardly recognized the woman looking back at me.

"Ugh, I hate you. This dress looks hideous on me. You can keep it" Melanie says with a dramatic eye roll and I smile at myself in the mirror feeling a mixture of satisfaction and amusement.

As I admire my reflection, I decide to complete the look with a pair of golden heels that matched the dress's elegance. Thankfully, I applied just some eyeliner and bright red lipstick before trying on the dress, so there is no need to redo my makeup. The bold red lips and the golden heels add a touch of glamour, making me feel even more confident.

Melanie and I get in her car and she starts driving me to my best friend's house, where she is hosting a birthday party that night. I had originally promised to arrive early to help with the preparations and I felt a tinge of guilt for arriving late, even though my best friend reassured me that my help wasn't needed after all.

"Mal? Hey, are you okay?" my sister asks softly, with concern showing in her voice

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

I know exactly what she is talking about. It is the first night I venture out since Matt, my now ex-boyfriend, ended our relationship three months ago. The wounds from that breakup are still tender, and the scars of heartbreak run deep. My heart was shattered, and the pieces are slowly being mended, like a delicate puzzle.

"Well, this is your first night out, since... you know" she says quietly.

"Since Matt broke up with me. You can say it out loud you know"

Melanie turns to look at me for a second and then her eyes are back on the road again. "I know, but I also know how much you cried the weeks after your break-up. I thought I would never see you smile again"

"Don't worry. I can't say I am completely over it yet, but I am getting there."

It's the truth. Healing is a process, and though I am not fully mended, I am making progress, step by step. The breakup was a painful and unexpected twist in my life, leaving me feeling adrift and heartbroken. Matt and I shared so many dreams, so many plans for the future, and the sudden end of our relationship left me questioning my own worth and the direction of my life.

Melanie reached over and gave my hand a reassuring squeeze. "You're strong," she said softly. "And you're going to get through this. Just remember, I'm here for you, no matter what."

I smiled at her, touched by her words, and felt a renewed sense of gratitude for the special bond we share.

"You look amazing in that dress, by the way." she admitted, her voice sincere. "I'm glad you found it."

She pulls over outside my friend's house and before I can make a move to step out of the car, she reaches over and pulls me into a heartfelt hug. "Have lots of fun today, okay?" she whispered, her voice filled with genuine affection. "Call me if you need anything. I love you"

"I love you too, Melanie" I reply quietly, tears welling in my eyes as I hug her back, grateful for her unwavering support. With a final squeeze, she released me, and I step out of the car, ready to celebrate Kylie's birthday.