Chapter 75

Mallory

The evening air is filled with a gentle breeze, carrying the remnants of the enchanting day we've spent together. As Adam drives, I steal glances at him, my heart swelling with an indescribable happiness. Today, my birthday, has been nothing short of magical—perhaps the best day of my life.

Adam's thoughtfulness astounds me. How did he manage to make this day so special, and with such apparent ease? I can't believe I ever doubted him. All those moments of anxiety, thinking he forgot about my birthday, were unfounded. He not only remembered, but he orchestrated a day that surpassed any expectations I could have had. How did I get so lucky?

As I gaze out of the car window, I can't help but reflect on the journey we've taken together. The challenges, the laughter, the tears—it all brought us here, to this moment of undeniable joy. I look at Adam, his hands firmly on the wheel, and I'm overwhelmed with love. It might be early, but I'm sure of my feelings. I love him with a depth that words can't fully capture.

Adam pulls over at the lake house, and we step out of the car into the quiet night. He wraps his arm around my waist, and we walk toward the house. I lean my head on his shoulder, savoring the warmth of his embrace. It's moments like these that make me believe we're invincible together, that our connection can withstand anything life throws our way.

As we enter the house, my eyes widen in surprise. The deck is adorned with a beautifully set table, candles flickering in the evening breeze. I turn to Adam, speechless, and he grins mischievously.

"Thought I was done surprising you?" he teases, his eyes sparkling with amusement.

I nod, still unable to find my voice. Adam chuckles and leads me to the deck, his hand resting gently on the small of my back. I take a seat at the table, my eyes still wide with astonishment.

Adam wheels in a trolley with trays covered in anticipation. He removes the lids one by one, revealing an array of dishes that make my mouth water. Each presentation is more exquisite than the last, a testament to the effort he put into making this evening unforgettable.

I can't help but ask, "How did you pull this off, Adam?"

He grins, a twinkle in his eyes. "A magician never reveals his secrets. Let's just say I had some help."

He brings out a bottle of wine, and with practiced ease, he opens it. Pouring a small amount into my glass, he gestures for me to taste. The rich, velvety notes dance on my tongue, and I nod approvingly.

Adam fills our glasses, and he raises his to a toast. "To you, Mallory, the most incredible person I know, and to us—today, tomorrow, and every day after."

I clink my glass against his, the sound resonating in the quiet evening. "To us," I echo, feeling a warmth in my heart that goes beyond the wine.

We dive into the feast before us, savoring each bite and sharing stolen glances that speak volumes. The dishes are a symphony of flavors—succulent grilled chicken, perfectly seasoned vegetables, and a decadent chocolate dessert that leaves us both speechless.

As the last course is enjoyed, and the empty plates bear witness to our delightful indulgence, Adam leans back with a satisfied grin. "I'm glad you liked it," he says, his eyes filled with genuine happiness.

I reach across the table, intertwining my fingers with his. "I loved it, Adam. This has been the most incredible birthday, and it's all because of you."

He leans in, his lips meeting mine in a sweet, lingering kiss. "Anything for you, Mallory. You deserve the world."

A contented smile plays on my lips as Adam leans back, his eyes filled with genuine happiness. As I stand up, an idea forming in my mind, Adam watches me with curiosity. "Where are you going?" he asks.

I give him a playful look over my shoulder and motion for him to follow me. Without saying a word, I descend the deck stairs that lead to the lake. The soft sound of our footsteps mixes with the distant lapping of the water against the shore.

Sitting at the shore, I take off my shoes and dip my feet into the water, the sensation invigorating. Adam joins me, mirroring my actions, and wraps an arm around my waist as we sit side by side. I lean my head on his shoulder, feeling the steady rhythm of his breath.

"Everything was wonderful today," I say, breaking the silence. "I can't believe you pulled all of this off. It's been the best birthday, Adam."

He inhales deeply and kisses the top of my head. It's a tender gesture, one that speaks volumes. Pulling back slightly, I look into his eyes, my heart brimming with emotion.

"I love you so much, Adam," I confess, the words escaping with a vulnerability that feels both terrifying and liberating.

Adam looks at me with affection. "I love you too, Mallory. More than words can say."

Adam's eyes sparkle as he looks at me, and he pulls me closer, kissing me passionately. His lips are warm against mine, igniting a fire that seems to burn brighter with each passing moment. When we finally pull back, I'm left breathless, my heart pounding in rhythm with the lapping of the water.

As we pull back from the kiss, the quiet night surrounds us, and I shiver ever so slightly. Adam notices and wraps his arm around me, pulling me closer. "Are you cold?" he asks, concern etching his features.

I shake my head, a playful smile tugging at my lips. "No, I'm fine."

Adam feigns a scolding expression. "Mallory, I can't have you catching a cold. We can either head inside, or I can get you a cardigan. What do you prefer?"

I let out a little whine, not wanting our time by the lake to end. "I don't want to go inside."

He chuckles, his eyes filled with affection. "Alright then, cardigan it is." Adam stands up, planting a quick kiss on my forehead before heading toward the house.