Chapter 124

Adam

The next few days passed in a whirlwind of paperwork and lawyers. My father, thankfully, returned to work, and the joy of his employees was palpable. The news of the divorce spread like wildfire, and everyone rushed to my father's side to offer their support. It never ceases to amaze me how much his employees genuinely love and respect him.

Everything is slowly finding its rhythm again. Her dad informed her that his clients were gradually returning. The business is stabilizing, a reassuring sign after the chaos that ensued. The cloud that loomed over her family is gradually lifting, and a sense of normalcy is being restored.

Eleanor Vanguard sent us an invitation to her wedding. Of course, we will attend. I can't help but feel a deep sense of happiness for her. It's incredible to think about how her life has taken a turn for the better. Her parents' misguided attempts to force her into a marriage with me, driven by fear of my mother, now seem like a distant nightmare.

The most significant change is that my mother moved out of the mansion. My father, in a gesture of grace, bought her a small apartment in the city and provided her with some financial support. It's a move that speaks to his character, despite everything that transpired. But beyond this, my mother is on her own now, responsible for finding a way to make ends meet. As much as I feel a pang of sadness for her, there's a part of me that believes she deserves the consequences of her actions.

Despite my empathy, I can't shake off the bristling feeling whenever memories of our trips to see my godfather resurface. Those memories are now tainted by the knowledge of my mother's affair. It's unsettling to think that the woman who was supposed to be my role model and guide could betray us in such a way. Trust, once broken, leaves scars that take time to heal.

I'm in the process of gathering my things, preparing to leave work, when my father walks into my office. It's the office next to his; the room is spacious with large windows offering a breathtaking view of the city.

"Are you leaving?" he asks, and I nod in acknowledgment. "Can I talk to you for a minute?" he requests.

"Of course, Dad," I say, and he takes a seat on the chair in front of my desk. I walk to the front of my desk and sit on the chair across from him, a sense of curiosity building. I wring my hands in front of me. "What's up?" I ask.

My dad sighs and tilts his head. "Are you going to leave?" he asks, and there's vulnerability in his eyes.

"Well, I was going to, but I can stay if you need me. I just have to tell Mallory that I'm going to be late," I say, glancing around for my phone.

"No, you don't understand," my father says, and I look at him. He takes a deep breath. "Are you going to leave?" he asks again, his gaze searching mine for an answer.

I suddenly grasp what he's asking me. "Dad... I don't know. I haven't talked to Mallory about it. It's a little complicated. I don't think we'll leave anytime soon; Mallory has her internship, and she likes it very much," I explain, trying to convey the complexity of the situation. My dad nods sadly. "I have to talk to Mallory first, Dad," I say, trying to reassure him.

"Okay, son," he says quietly. "What's wrong, Dad?" I inquire, sensing that there's more to this conversation.

My dad scrubs a hand over his face and then leans forward, resting his elbows on his knees. "This house is a fucking huge, Adam. It's driving me crazy being there all alone," he admits, his frustration palpable. I can only imagine what it's like. It was lonely for me when I lived there, even though Mom and Dad were living there too.

"I would love it if you and Mallory moved in," he confesses, and my jaw goes slack. I did not see that coming.

I place a hand on his shoulder, offering comfort. "Dad... I don't know what to say. I will definitely talk to Mallory about it. We just need to figure out where we'll live after her internship. I don't know what she is thinking about it, and I don't want to force anything on her," I say, wanting to approach the situation with sensitivity.

My father nods understandingly. "Of course," he says, the weight of his emotions evident in his expression.

I squeeze his shoulder. "Dad, why don't we all go down to the lake house this weekend?" I suggest. My dad's face lights up, and he nods. "That's a great idea, son," he says.

I stand up and walk to the back of my desk. "Why don't you ask Aunt Lily to join us?" I propose.

My father stands up and says, "I'll do that. Thank you, Adam." "No problem," I smile at him. He nods and turns on his heel, leaving my office. I pick up my things and exit the room, turning the lights off as I leave.

I should have expected my dad to be lonely. It is a fucking huge house. As much as I want to keep him company, I can't agree to anything without talking to Mallory first. The prospect of living in that vast mansion feels daunting, and I wonder how Mallory will react to the idea.

I don't know what's on her mind about our living situation, and I haven't asked her. Frankly, I am terrified to ask her. What if she has different plans? What if she wants to return home after her internship? I'm sure the university there will gladly accept her to continue her studies, and I imagine she would want to be close to her family. I could leave too, find a job again there, but at some point, I should get back here again, take over the family business. And now I am supposed to propose living with my father? Holy shit. Am I going to freak her out?

The thoughts swirl in my mind as I drive home, navigating through the familiar streets with a sense of uncertainty. I know Mallory is more comfortable in our apartment than she would be in a mansion. She's never been one to seek opulence or excess. She finds happiness in simplicity, and that's one of the things I love most about her. Yet, the idea of bringing up such a significant change in our lives feels like I'm walking on a tightrope. I need to talk to her, though, as soon as possible. The uncertainty is eating me alive, and I have to know what she wants.

As soon as I step into our apartment, I find Mallory in the living room, engrossed in a book. She looks up and smiles as I enter. "Hey, how was your day?" she asks.

I force a smile, trying to push aside the weight of my thoughts. "It was okay. Can we talk about something?" I say, the nervousness seeping into my voice.

Mallory puts her book down and gives me her full attention. "Of course, what's on your mind?"