Chapter 86

Mallory

"Um, yeah, he is. What the hell does he even want?" I ask Melanie, my mind racing a mile a minute. What could that guy possibly want from her? Melanie was once very in love with Daniel, so much so that she was blind to his manipulative games. She thought that she would eventually become his girlfriend, but I don't think he ever had that intention. He always claimed he wasn't "relationship material," but the moment Melanie pulled away, he'd pull off some romantic gesture to lure her back in. But there was never any commitment, no real relationship.

It's so uncharacteristic for Melanie to fall for this kind of crap, and I was genuinely worried about her during that time. So, when she finally had enough and cut him off from her life about a year and a half ago, I was truly ecstatic. So, why the hell is she going out with him now?

"He said he wants me back," Melanie says, and I feel the blood drain from my face. Oh, no. No, no, no. Hell, no. "I told him that he never really had me to want me back," Melanie adds.

God, then what? Is he back in her life? "He said that he knows he was an idiot, that he didn't appreciate me at the time, and that he wants me to be his girlfriend," Melanie says with a wide grin. Oh my god. I am speechless. I don't know what to say.

"What the hell, Melanie? Are you seriously considering this?" The words escape my mouth before I can stop them, fueled by a mix of concern and frustration. I expected Melanie to be smarter than this, to see through Daniel's manipulative games.

Melanie's grin fades, replaced by a more serious expression. "I don't know, Mallory. I mean, he seemed sincere. He said he's changed, that he realizes what he lost. And he's been persistent."

I shake my head in disbelief. "Persistent? Melanie, you've moved on. You deserve someone who appreciates you from the start, not some guy who only realizes your worth when he thinks he's lost you."

She looks down, her fingers nervously tracing patterns on the tabletop. "I know, but part of me wonders if people can change. I mean, we all make mistakes, right?"

My frustration deepens. "Yes, people can change, but they have to want it for themselves, not just to win someone back. This feels like a manipulation, Melanie. Don't let him play with your feelings."

She sighs, her gaze distant. "I don't know, Mallory. I just need some time to figure things out."

I reach across the table, placing my hand on hers. "I get it, but please, be careful. Don't let him hurt you again."

Melanie nods, her hazel eyes meeting mine. "I appreciate your concern, Mallory. I'll be cautious, I promise."

I reach across the table and gently hold her hand. "I don't want you to get hurt again, Melanie. Daniel wasn't good for you," I say, my concern evident in my voice.

Melanie lets out a bitter laugh, her eyes reflecting a mixture of nostalgia and pain. "And who was good for me? I haven't met anyone since Daniel that could be good for me. Nobody made my heart beat the way Daniel did," she confesses, her tone filled with a sense of longing.

"What about Marcus?" I bring up his name cautiously.

Melanie sighs, her gaze dropping for a moment before meeting mine again. "I can't handle a guy who is two-timing me, Mallory. Marcus seemed great, until he showed his true face."

"Did you confront him about it?"

"No, but I don't have to. I saw him, and I don't have to hear anything from him," Melanie replies, her disappointment palpable.

I sigh deeply, frustrated by the recurring presence of unreliable men in Melanie's life. Damn it, Marcus. "Okay, just promise me that the minute Daniel does something to hurt you, you are dumping his ass," I implore, knowing that I have to support Melanie's decisions now or risk pushing her away.

Melanie grins, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "Promise," she says, her tone playful yet sincere.

With the conversation about Melanie's love life temporarily settled, we shift gears. We discuss lighter topics, catching up on each other's lives. The waitress brings our check, signaling the end of our time in the café. We step out into the bustling street, the sunlight casting long shadows on the pavement.

Melanie drops me off at the apartment, and before parting ways, we exchange a reassuring hug. I watch her car disappear down the street, a mix of hope and worry settling within me. I hoped that meeting Melanie would ease my anxiety, but it only added to it. I heave a sigh and head towards the apartment.

The elevator ride feels like an eternity. Each floor it passes, my mind races with thoughts of Daniel, Adam's mother, and the upcoming banquet. Everything is just so complicated. The doors finally slide open, and I step out into the hallway, hoping that I won't have to face Daniel anytime soon. I honestly can't handle seeing him; I already have enough on my plate with Adam's mother.

I walk to the front door and open it. Adam is sitting on the couch, engrossed in the TV. He turns his head as I enter, and a warm smile lights up his face.

"Hey, beautiful. How did it go with Melanie?" he asks. I let out a deep sigh and sink onto the couch next to him. Adam throws an arm around my shoulders, and I snuggle closer to him. He holds me tight, placing a soft kiss on my lips.

"Hey," he says, smiling down at me. "Hey, you," I reply, the corners of my mouth turning up. Suddenly, all my anxiety fades away, just being in his arms. And that's how I know that facing his mother is worth it.

"So, did you have a good time?" he asks, a playful smile on his lips.

I lean my head back against the couch, pinching my eyes closed with my fingers. "No. Well, yes and no," I say, opening my eyes to meet his gaze. "You said Marcus was a good guy," I add, a hint of frustration in my voice.