Chapter 57

Adam

I arrive at Mallory's house and park outside, my heart pounding with anxiety. I step out of the car and rush to the front door, my hand trembling as I ring the bell. Mallory's mother opens the door, her eyes red from crying.

"Adam, you are here," she says, her voice filled with a mixture of relief and sorrow. I take a step forward and hug her tightly. She melts into my embrace, and silent tears stream down her face. After a few moments, she pulls away, slightly embarrassed by the display of vulnerability.

I see Melanie on one couch, tears staining her cheeks, and Mallory's father pacing the room, an angry look etched on his face. I approach him, and we shake hands, a silent acknowledgment of the shared concern for Mallory's safety. I sit beside Melanie, placing a comforting hand on her back. The tension in the room is palpable, and I feel utterly helpless.

"What happened?" I manage to say, my voice barely above a whisper.

"Kylie called Mallory last night," Mallory's mom begins, her voice trembling. "Sean broke up with her and left her at the club. She asked Mallory to go and get her, and Mallory did. Matt was there and demanded to talk to Mallory, and when she denied, he grabbed her and..." Mallory's mom pauses, her eyes welling with fresh tears.

"He shoved her in his car, the son of a bitch," Mr. Hartley interjects, his face contorted with anger. "One of his slimy friends was holding Kylie back. Cowards!" he adds, a mix of frustration and fury coursing through his words.

My hands clench into fists, the anger building within me. I struggle to maintain composure, the urge to confront Matt overpowering the rational thoughts in my mind. Mallory's safety is paramount, and the thought of her being subjected to such cruelty ignites a fire within me.

"We need to call the police," I assert, my voice firm as I glance at Mallory's parents.

"Already done," Mrs. Hartley replies. "But they said we need to wait for 24 hours before they can take any action."

"What can we do now?" I ask, my voice a desperate plea for a solution.

"We wait," Mallory's dad says, his jaw tight with frustration. "And pray that she comes back to us unharmed."

My phone buzzes, and I check it hopefully; it's my dad. "It's my dad; I'll take this outside," I say, stepping out of the house.

"Hey, Dad," I answer, trying to sound composed.

"Do you mind telling me why your mother is screaming on the other line?"

I sigh, pinching my eyes closed. "Dad... she invited the Vanguards home," I say, the words heavy on my tongue.

"Shit," he mutters.

"Yeah. I left as they were entering the house. The thing is, Dad, Mallory was taken last night. Nobody knows where she is. I had to get back," I explain, the weight of the situation pressing down on me.

"Fuck, seriously?" he exclaims, disbelief coloring his response.

"Yeah... I don't know what to do, Dad. I'm with her parents right now, and I feel helpless," I admit.

"Shit... Do you have any idea who could do that?" he asks, his voice steady as he tries to assess the situation.

"Her ex-boyfriend. He has been harassing her ever since he found out about us," I reveal, the anger simmering beneath the surface.

"Well, maybe that's a good place to start. Have you talked to the police?" he suggests.

"Her parents called them, but they said that we have to wait 24 hours," I explain, a sense of frustration lacing my words.

"Let me see what I can do. Keep me posted," he says, his tone reassuring.

"Thanks, Dad," I say, gratitude mingling with the desperation in my tone, and we hang up.

I get back into the house. "Any news?" I ask Mr. Hartley, but he shakes his head, his expression laden with sadness. I exhale, my frustration growing, and turn to Mallory's parents.

"Can you give me Matt's address?" I inquire, my voice steady despite the tumultuous emotions within me.

"His parents don't know where Matt is. He hasn't contacted them," Mrs. Hartley tells me, her eyes reflecting a mixture of worry and sorrow.

"It doesn't matter. Maybe they can think of places he might have taken her," I suggest.

Mrs. Hartley quickly writes an address on a piece of paper and hands it to me. I thank her, my mind racing with possibilities. Leaving the house, I get into my car and drive towards Matt's house, determination burning in my veins. The journey feels like an eternity, each passing moment intensifying my anxiety.

After a fifteen-minute drive, I pull over outside Matt's house. My heart pounds as I stride to the entrance and ring the bell. A woman opens the door, and I immediately ask, "I'm sorry, are you Matt's mother?" She nods, her eyes filled with uncertainty. For a few moments, I stand there, grappling with the weight of my words.

"I'm trying to find Mallory. Please, may I come in?" I finally ask, the urgency in my voice palpable. She nods, her eyes welling with tears, and steps back to let me in. As I enter Matt's house, the air feels thick with tension. I scan the surroundings, searching for any clues that might lead me to Mallory. The woman gestures toward the living room, and I follow her, my heart pounding in my chest.

"I don't know where Matt is," she admits, her voice trembling.

I nod, absorbing the information, my mind racing to formulate a plan. "Did he mention any places he might go? Any places that are significant to him or Mallory?"

The woman looks thoughtful, her eyes searching her memory. "There's an old warehouse near the outskirts of town. Matt used to go there when he needed some space, especially when things got tough between him and Mallory."

My heart quickens at the prospect of a lead. "Can you give me directions to the warehouse?" I ask urgently.

She provides me with the necessary details, and I thank her before rushing back to my car. The engine roars to life as I speed towards the location she described, a mix of hope and anxiety coursing through my veins.

The warehouse comes into view, a desolate structure looming on the outskirts of town. I park my car and approach cautiously, the night air thick with tension. The entrance creaks open, and I step inside, the darkness enveloping me. I pull out my phone, using its feeble light to navigate the space. I call out Mallory's name, my voice echoing through the empty space, but the only response is the distant sound of dripping water.

I press on, my heart pounding with each step, the suspense escalating with every passing second. The minutes stretch into an agonizing eternity, and the realization sinks in — Matt and Mallory are not here. The warehouse remains a silent witness to my desperation, offering no clues about their whereabouts.

Frustration and fear claw at the edges of my composure. I take a deep breath, attempting to steady my nerves. I decide to leave the warehouse. I lean against my car, the metal cool against my back, and contemplate my next move.

I can't give up. Not on Mallory.