Chapter 79

Mallory

The champagne bottle pops open with a satisfying fizz, and Kylie cheers, raising her glass high. "Creep's gone!" she exclaims, raising her hands in triumph. I can't help but laugh at her antics, her joy contagious. Today marks the end of Matt's trial, and the verdict is in. Guilty. Twenty years in prison. Relief washes over me; it's finally over.

A part of me can't help but feel a twinge of sympathy for the Matt I once knew—the sweet, caring man who existed before everything went south. But I quickly remind myself that that version of Matt no longer exists. He needs help, and I can only hope that he finds it during his time behind bars.

Kylie fills flute glasses with champagne, handing one to me with a grin. "To freedom," she says, her eyes sparkling with genuine happiness. I chuckle and clink my glass against hers.

I take a sip of the champagne, the bubbles tickling my nose. "I have to admit, I didn't expect champagne when you asked me to come over after the verdict," I say, smiling at Kylie.

Kylie giggles, her eyes sparkling mischievously. "I was prepared for every outcome. Vodka was on standby in case Matt walked free."

I shake my head, laughing at her foresight. "Wow, it's really over, isn't it?" I run my hands through my hair, the weight of the past months lifting off my shoulders.

Kylie smiles, her expression more serene now. "Yes, Mallory. It's over. We can finally move forward."

"With everything that happened, your birthday party feels like ages ago," I remark, thinking back to the carefree celebration before the storm.

"It does, doesn't it? The past few months have been eventful, to say the least." Kylie agrees, a thoughtful look on her face.

"Tell me about it," I laugh, reminiscing about the twists and turns that led us to this moment. It all started at Kylie's party—the night I met Adam. I shake my head, still amazed at how much has changed since then.

"To think, I almost didn't come to your party," I say, and Kylie's eyes widen in mock outrage. "What the hell?" she exclaims.

I burst into laughter and pull her into a hug. "I'm kidding! I would never miss your birthday. You know that."

"The hell you would. I would have come to your house and dragged you the fuck out," Kylie retorts, and we both giggle at the thought.

"Kylie?" I inquire, changing the subject. There's a sly smile on her lips as she responds.

"Yes?"

I raise an eyebrow, curious. "What about Sean?"

A smile creeps onto Kylie's lips. "We're trying to work it out." I can't contain my excitement and squeal, pulling her into another hug. "Why didn't you say anything?"

Kylie chuckles, "You had a lot going on, Mallory, and nothing was certain yet." She adds, "Plus, nothing was certain until yesterday. We slept together, and now we're officially back together."

"Kylie, I'm so happy for you" I say, a wide smile on my face. "Did Sean ever tell you what the problem was?"

Kylie sighs and confides, "His friends were giving him shit about us. They were saying that I had him wrapped around my finger and all that crap."

I shake my head, disapproving of such toxic behavior. "Sounds like Sean needs some new friends."

Kylie nods in agreement. "He realized that after he broke up with me and came back crawling. But, of course, I made him work for it." She winks, and we share a laugh.

"Good for you," I say, genuinely happy for Kylie.

I glance at my watch and realize it's time for me to go. We make plans to go out dancing on Friday with Adam and Sean. After a warm hug and promises to catch up soon, I step out of Kylie's house and into Adam's waiting car.

As I start driving, my mind is a whirlwind of thoughts. The day's events, Matt's trial, and the unexpected apology from his parents echo in my mind. It struck a chord, seeing their genuine remorse for their son's actions. Matt, once a sweet guy I knew, is now condemned to spend a significant part of his life behind bars. It's a sad reality, but he should have learned to accept rejection.

My grip tightens on the wheel as I reflect on Matt's distorted perception of me. He saw me as an object, not a person with emotions. His delusional belief that he could waltz back into my life after he was done fucking around is infuriating. That twisted mindset is what landed him in this predicament.

My thoughts then shift to Sean and the pressure he faced from his friends. The fucking male ego. It causes unnecessary problems, creating rifts in relationships. It's disheartening to think that such toxic masculinity can influence someone as kind and caring as Sean. Society's expectations and the pressure to conform to traditional notions of manhood can be destructive, poisoning the essence of what should be a healthy and supportive.

And then there's Adam. A smile tugs at my lips as thoughts of him flood my mind. Thank God Adam isn't like that. He was all in from the start, unafraid of commitment. The stark contrast between him and the toxic patterns I've witnessed is a testament to his character. His genuine love and respect have been my anchor throughout the stormy seas of recent events.

I pull into the parking space at Adam's apartment building, the engine humming to a stop. Stepping out of the car, I walk briskly towards the elevator, my anticipation growing with each step. Adam should be home by now, and the thought of spending a carefree evening together lifts my spirits. No more shadows, no more lurking threats. It's just us, ready to enjoy the night.

I pick up my pace, eager to see Adam. I push the elevator button and wait, my anticipation growing. The doors finally open, and I step inside. Pressing the button for Adam's floor, I watch the numbers light up as the elevator begins its ascent. Maybe we should go out to dinner tonight, celebrate the closure of Matt's trial. Yes, that's a good idea. The elevator doors open again, and I step out, making my way to Adam's apartment.

"Baby, I'm home!" I call out, expecting a warm welcome. However, my joy is cut short as I find Adam pacing frantically in the living room.

"Adam, what's wrong?"