Chapter 13

Mallory

I slowly stir, the warmth of the morning sun streaming through the curtains as I begrudgingly wake from a restless sleep. My eyes blink open, and for a moment, the world is a blurry mess of disorientation. My body aches, and a heavy tiredness engulfs me, making it hard to shake off the grogginess. As I lie there, memories of the previous night slowly start to seep back into my consciousness.

My phone sits on the nightstand beside my bed, its screen lighting up with a new message. I reach for it, rubbing my bleary eyes as I unlock the device. The message is from Kylie, and the urgency in her tone is evident even in the short text. "Hey, are you up? I need to see you ASAP." A sense of unease washes over me as I read her words. What could be so urgent that she needs to see me this early in the morning? What happened this time?

I quickly type a reply, my fingers fumbling over the keyboard. "Sure, come to my place." I hit send and place the phone back on the nightstand. A sigh escapes my lips as I roll over in bed, disappointed that there's no text from Adam. Again. My mind races, trying to make sense of his silence. We shared a great night, or so I thought. Maybe I was just being too optimistic. Perhaps he had second thoughts about me.

I swing my legs over the side of the bed and stretch, my muscles protesting as I rise. My room is filled with the soft, early morning light that filters through the curtains, casting a warm glow over everything. I take a deep breath, trying to shake off the tiredness, but my mind keeps circling back to Adam.

I grab a pair of jeans and a comfortable sweater, not really in the mood for dressing up. I wonder if I should call him or send another message, but my pride holds me back. I don't want to seem too needy or clingy. Maybe something happened to him? Did I say or do something wrong at the party? Did he meet someone else? I contemplate the possibilities, trying to push away the sense of disappointment that wells up within me.

I make my way downstairs, my steps slow and heavy. The smell of breakfast wafts through the air, drawing me to the kitchen. Melanie, is sitting at the table, engrossed in her phone, and my parents are sipping their morning coffee. I join them at the table, grabbing a slice of toast, not feeling particularly hungry.

Melanie looks up from her cereal, her hazel eyes studying me. "You look tired," she remarks, concern in her voice.

I force a smile, trying to hide my internal turmoil. "Yeah, just a bit," I reply, my words laced with fatigue. "I didn't sleep well." My parents exchange a knowing look, but they don't press the matter. I'm sure they think that my sleepless night is because of Matt; they are not completely wrong.

"Kylie is on her way," I inform them, trying to sound nonchalant. Her message has left me worrying.

"Oh, that's great, darling" my mom muses, "I haven't seen her in so long"

Before I can respond, the doorbell rings, and I jump up from my chair, eager to find out what has happened. As I open the front door, Kylie stands there with a bright smile on her face, but I can see something deeper in her eyes, a trace of worry. She steps inside, and I close the door behind her.

"Kylie, what's going on?" I ask as I close the door behind her.

She hesitates for a moment before she finally speaks, her voice soft and trembling. "Can we talk in your room?"

I nod and lead her up the stairs. As soon as we're in my room with the door securely closed, I can't help but blurt out, "What the hell is going on, Kylie?"

She takes a deep breath, her smile fading, and her eyes meet mine. "Matt punched Sean last night after you and I left the club."

I'm taken aback, the revelation hitting me like a ton of bricks. "Wait, what? Matt punched Sean? Why? Is Sean okay? "

Kylie's expression darkens, and she sinks on the bed. I sit down beside her, and she begins to explain. "Yeah, he is okay." She sighs, "He wanted to know where you went, and Sean didn't tell him. It turned into a huge fight. The bouncers had to intervene to stop it from getting worse."

I can't believe what I'm hearing. Matt had always been aggressive, but this was a new low. My mind races, trying to make sense of it all. Anger bubbles up inside me. I'm shocked and infuriated. Matt's actions are inexcusable. I can't help but feel partly responsible for dragging my friends into this mess.

"Who does he think he is?" I throw my hands in the air as I stand up and start pacing, "The nerve of that guy! I'm going to call him, he needs a reality check! How dare he?" I shout, my anger rising.

Kylie places a hand on my arm, her eyes pleading with me. "No, please. He doesn't deserve a word from you. It has to be handled differently, but it is clear that he is trying to get a reaction from you"

I nod, my anger subsiding as I realize she's right. Matt's actions last night have only reinforced my decision to keep my distance from him. "I'm so sorry for dragging you and Sean into this mess," I say, guilt still gnawing at me.

Kylie quickly reassures me, "You have nothing to apologize for. Matt's actions are not your responsibility. You didn't ask him to show up or act like a lunatic. This is all on Matt." Her gaze shifts to my phone, still lying on the nightstand. "Did Adam ever reply?" she asks.

I shake my head, frustration and confusion evident in my voice. "No, he hasn't"

Kylie's expression mirrors my confusion. "It doesn't make any sense. I mean, he was really into you. Have you contacted Logan?" I shake my head and she doesn't miss a beat; she grabs my phone and places it in my hand, "You should text him right now. The sooner we figure this out, the better."

I nod and I start composing a text to Logan. As I send the message, a sense of unease washes over me. I can only hope that Logan can shed some light on Adam's silence. We wait in silence, the seconds ticking away and then the phone buzzes with Logan's response.