Chapter 7

Mallory

I step into my cozy bedroom, the soft, dim glow of the bedside lamp casts a soothing, amber light, creating an atmosphere of tranquility. The scent of lavender from the diffuser on my nightstand wafts through the air, further deepening the sense of calm that washed over me. It's late, and I've already gone through my evening routine—brushing my teeth, washing my face, and slipping into my favorite cozy pajamas.

He never replied to the message I sent this morning. The seconds turned into minutes, and then into hours. Around noon, I noticed that he read my message, thanks to those dreaded read receipts. Still, no reply. My heart sinks with disappointment. I thought we had something special, a connection that went beyond the surface, but maybe it was all in my head? I shake my head quickly, trying to chase that thought away. It is absurd to think like that; why would he look at me or touch me the way he did if he was going to ghost me the next day? It doesn't make sense; I think as I sigh heavily.

My fingers lightly brush over my phone on the nightstand, its cool surface beckoning me. I shiver as I remember the sensation of his kisses and the gentle touch of his hands on my skin. His laughter, the way he leaned in closer, the sensation of his breath on my skin—everything swirls in my consciousness, making my heart flutter and my skin tingle.With a sigh, I reach for my phone again. My fingers dance over the screen, typing out a simple, "Hey, how was your day?" I hesitate for a moment, wondering if it's the right move. Would it come across as too eager, too forward?

I sit down on the edge of my bed, my heart pounding. The phone rests on my lap, the message waiting to be sent. I stare at the screen, contemplating the potential outcomes. What if he ignores it again? What if he's just not interested, and I'm being too persistent? My thoughts swirl with self-doubt and uncertainty.

In the end, I decide to delete the message. It's a decision that doesn't come without a sense of disappointment, but I remind myself that there's more to life than waiting for a text from someone I barely know. As I press the delete button, the message vanishes, as though it was never there.

A soft knock on my open bedroom door startles me, pulling my attention away from my silent phone. 

"Are you OK, Mal?" Melanie is standing at my door, her big hazel eyes filled with concern.I nod, trying to shake off the lingering disappointment. "Yeah, just... overthinking things, I guess."

I told her during the day about everything that happened at the party. She especially loved the part where Matt dumbfoundedly stood as I left with Adam on my side. 

"He didn't text me back, Melanie" I mutter with a sigh, frustration clear in my voice. "I thought he really liked me"

Melanie, always the voice of reason, approaches me and sits down on my bed. She looks at me with a reassuring expression. "That doesn't mean anything" she states. "You said yourself that you wanted to take things slow, right?"

"Not that slow!" I groan, my irritation causing me to fall on my back, my feet still on the floor. I hear my sister chuckle, and I shoot an annoyed look at her. "He could at least reply once, I didn't expect to spend the day texting him"

"Didn't you?" Melanie teases, her amusement evident in her voice as a huge grin appears on her face, further irritating me. 

"What in the world do you find so amusing?" I bellow, confounded by her reaction.

"I am happy you met someone" Melanie chimes while she gets up and walks to the door. She turns and gives me and encouraging look. "He is going to text you back, Mallory"

Melanie closes the door behind her and I crawl in my bed, my phone still in my hand; its screen glowing softly in the dimly lit room. As I lie there, I can't help but let my mind wander to the question that's been weighing on me since I met Adam; Is it too early to consider getting into a new relationship? The wounds from my separation from Matt haven't completely healed. The idea of opening myself up to someone new, with all their unknowns and uncertainties, is both exciting and terrifying.

I fiddle my phone in my hands, unable to decide whether I should text or not. The temptation is strong, and my heart races with the urge to reach out. Yet, as I stare at the screen, I realize that sometimes it's best to resist that impulse. With a sigh, I make the decision to leave my phone on my nightstand and I lie down on my bed, feeling the cool sheets against my skin, and close my eyes, hoping that a good night's sleep will bring clarity to my thoughts.

Just as I have finally settled into the comfortable cocoon of my bed, my phone suddenly rings, jolting me from the brink of sleep. My heart skips a beat with a glimmer of hope. I fumble for the phone, my thoughts racing, wondering if it's Adam. With trembling fingers, I answer the call, my voice filled with anticipation as I say, "Hello?"

"Hey, beautiful. Are you asleep?"

I slowly take my phone off my ear and look at the screen, to verify the caller - I can't believe my ears.

"Matt?"

"Look out your window" he instructs. I get off the bed and I approach the window.

As I peer out of my window into the velvety darkness of the night, the dim moonlight reveals a familiar silhouette standing in the shadows. My heart quickens as I realize it is Matt, his face bathed in the gentle glow of the moon. Our eyes meet, and an eerie sense of déjà vu washes over me, making the night seem even more surreal.

"Can I come up?" 

I quickly turn away from the window. "No, Matt, you can't. Why are you here?"

"I missed my girl"