Chapter 46

Mallory

I sit on Melanie's bed, my eyes wide with shock, and then I playfully shove her arm. "Melanie! I thought you were dating Owen!" I exclaim, unable to hide my surprise.

Melanie shrugs casually, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "We just went on a couple of dates," she says, downplaying the situation.

I raise an eyebrow, skeptical of her nonchalant explanation. "A couple of months, more like," I retort.

She bursts into laughter, her contagious giggles filling the room. "Okay, fine! But seriously, he was so boring, Mallory! You have no idea!" she confesses, and I can't help but join in her laughter.

"Adam mentioned that there was something between you two," I remark and Melanie's cheeks flush with a hint of embarrassment, and she bites her lower lip.

"Well... I like him, you know?" she confesses, her eyes revealing a genuine fondness. "He is interesting! He makes me feel like I'm the only girl in the world."

"Yeah, I know the feeling," I admit, remembering the countless moments when Adam made me feel like the center of his universe.

"So, how was he?" I inquire, giving her a sly wink.

"Best sex ever," she confesses with a dreamy sigh. "His dick is so big; I was afraid it wouldn't fit!"

The room is filled with our laughter when there's a soft knock on the door. Melanie shouts, "Come in," and the door opens to reveal our mother, a warm smile on her face. In her hands, she carries a tray adorned with various delicacies. "You girls hungry?" she asks, setting the tray down on the bed.

Without hesitation, Melanie and I dive into the tempting spread, savoring the flavors that fill our mouths.

Our mother sits beside us on the bed, a hint of nostalgia in her eyes. "I missed having both of you here," she confesses, a touch of sadness in her smile.

I take her hand, offering a reassuring squeeze. "Maybe it's time I came back home," I suggest, contemplating the idea.

Her smile falters, and she shakes her head. "I want you to be safe, Mallory."

I exchange a knowing look with Melanie. "Mom, Matt found out where Adam's apartment is. He knows where I am. I might as well come back home," I admit, the weight of the truth heavy in the room.

Her eyes widen at the revelation, but she quickly regains her composure. "I think it's best you stay with Adam. He may know where you are, but he can't intrude into your bedroom through your window there," she reasons, a protective glint in her eyes.

Melanie chimes in, supporting our mother's perspective. "She's right, Mallory. Staying with Adam is the best option right now."

"Not to mention that Adam wouldn't want you leaving his apartment," Melanie adds with a mischievous wiggle of her eyebrows. I roll my eyes at her teasing, and our mother looks at us with heightened curiosity.

"Oh? So, are things getting serious?" she inquires, a playful twinkle in her eyes. Melanie, unable to contain her excitement, giggles and nods enthusiastically.

I wave Melanie off, attempting to downplay the situation. "Well, we might live together for now, but it doesn't mean anything," I insist, hoping to maintain a semblance of nonchalance.

Both my sister and my mother exchange incredulous glances before bursting into laughter. "Sweetheart, I just want you to be happy. Adam seems like he can manage that, so forgive your mother for waiting to hear wedding bells!" my mom teases, her eyes sparkling with warmth.

I roll my eyes in mock exasperation, letting out an exaggerated sigh. "Moooom! I am just turning 20 this month!" I protest, earning more laughter from the two of them. Then My mother stands up, comes over to me and places a gentle kiss on my head. "I just want you to be safe and happy," she says, her voice filled with maternal concern.

"I am," I assure her, appreciating her love and care.

She pats my cheek affectionately before excusing herself. "I'll leave you girls to it," she says, leaving the bedroom.

"Maybe I should come back home; I've missed you all," I suggest, contemplating the idea.

Melanie shakes her head adamantly. "No, Mom was right. You should stay at Adam's."

I chew on my lower lip, grappling with conflicting thoughts. "I don't know... It takes our relationship a few steps further than it should be right now. Not to mention that since Adam started working, I spend a considerable time alone."

Melanie nods. "Yeah, I get that. And it's summer; you'd probably be out all day these days," she points out.

"Exactly. Now, I'm just waiting for Adam to return. At least, I'd have some company here," I sigh, the weight of recent events pressing on my shoulders. "I hate that," I continue, frustration tainting my tone. "I hate that Matt's behavior is affecting my life so much. Hiding away, avoiding running into him alone," I admit.

Melanie comes closer, wrapping an arm around my shoulders and holding me tight. "I know, Mal. It sucks," she empathizes.

"I don't know what to do. I thought that if I disappeared, Matt would forget about me. How on earth did he find Adam's apartment?" I express my frustration.

"Maybe he saw you out and followed you?" Melanie suggests, and I bristle at the thought. It's disconcerting to realize that I'm constantly being watched, that every move I make could potentially be monitored by Matt.

Great, that's just great. Like I wasn't already watching my back at every step.

Before I can dwell on the unsettling thought any longer, my mother's voice resonates from downstairs. "Mallory! Adam is here!"

Melanie offers a teasing giggle. "You better go and save him."

"I have to buy a car," I grumble, rolling my eyes at the irony of the situation. The lack of personal transportation has become a glaring vulnerability, making me dependent on others for my safety and freedom of movement.

"Come on, go," Melanie urges, nudging me playfully. "And don't worry too much. You've got Adam by your side, and he seems like the type who can handle anything."

With a resigned sigh, I give Melanie a brief hug before heading downstairs to join Adam.