Chapter 10

Mallory

The week had sped by in a whirlwind of lectures, assignments, and the looming dread of upcoming exams. As Friday night descended, I was eager to shed the weight of the week and embrace the freedom of the impending weekend. Kylie and I had planned a night out to blow off some steam, offering a much-needed respite before the relentless hours of studying that awaited me, the final exams for the semester only two weeks away.

With a sense of anticipation, I stand before the mirror in my room. My long blonde hair, cascading in gentle waves, framing my face like a golden halo. The makeup I applied is subtle, enhancing my facial features without being overly conspicuous. I wanted to look and feel like myself, just a touch more radiant.

Tonight, I chose to wear a short, cobalt blue dress that clung to my figure in all the right places. The color seemed to bring out the deep blue of my eyes, and I couldn't help but admire the reflection staring back at me. With a final adjustment to my dress and a reassuring smile to myself in the mirror, I grabbed my clutch and made my way to meet Kylie, as I hear her honking outside my house.

"Hot damn!" Kylie exclaims as I slid into the passenger seat of her car. "I have to keep you away from Sean!"

"Kylie!" I protest, but I know she is teasing me. I fasten my seatbelt and Kylie turns to me with a playful glint in her eye. "To a night of freedom, my dear" she proclaims and I chuckle. Always dramatic that one.

"To a night of letting loose and casting aside our worries, even if just for a few hours."

As the car pulled away from the curb, the city lights streaming past us, my anticipation grew with every passing moment. The drive to the club was filled with snippets of our conversations, laughter, and the music playing softly in the background. Kylie's taste in music was always on point, setting the perfect mood for the evening. As we approached our destination, the thumping bass of the club's music became audible even from outside.

Stepping through the club's entrance, the vibrant pulse of music and the kaleidoscope of colorful lights envelopes me. It is a sensory whirlwind; the atmosphere is charged with the energy of people reveling in the night. The club is a maze of bodies moving in rhythm to the music, but it isn't long before I spot our group of friends in a cozy corner.

I greet my friends with warm smiles and hugs. Logan, always the gracious host, approaches me with a friendly grin. "Hey there, how's it going?" he asks, his voice barely audible over the pulsating music. "You want anything to drink?"

"A vodka soda would be perfect," I reply, grateful for his offer.

Kylie, with her radiant smile, slides under Sean's arm, and their embrace is an embodiment of affection. He leans down, his lips meeting hers in a soft, sweet kiss. I can't help but watch them, my heart warm by the genuine connection they share. I smile, both for them and with the hope that someday, I might be fortunate enough to experience a love as beautiful and genuine as theirs.

As I wait for my drink, Emma appears beside me, her vivacious energy undeniable. She grabs my hand and playfully demands, "Come on, let's hit the dancefloor! You've been cooped up all week with those textbooks; it's time to let loose!"

I laughed at her enthusiasm and allowed her to lead me towards the heart of the dance floor. The music enveloped us, and the pulsating beats resonated through my body, urging me to leave the week's worries behind. The nagging absence of a text message from Adam still weighed on my mind. I knew that exams were on the horizon, and he might be buried in his studies, but the lack of communication gnawed at my sense of anticipation. The uncertainty of his response left me in a state of restlessness, hoping for that awaited text.

But not tonight. Tonight, it's about me letting loose.

As Emma and I sway to the intoxicating beat on the center of the dance floor, the disco ball overhead casts a shower of shimmering light, like a thousand stars descending upon us. The music envelops us, echoing in the depths of our souls, pulling us deeper into its rhythmic trance. Each step and movement felt like an expression of the joy and freedom that had eluded me throughout the week.

As we twirled and lost ourselves in the music, Kylie and Sean soon joined our joyful dance. Together, we became a whirlwind of laughter and movement. The bass throbbed through our veins, and for those timeless moments, we lost ourselves in the pure euphoria of the music.

The music's hypnotic cadence continues to guide my every movement as I dance on, wrapped in the electric atmosphere of the club. Just when I need it most, Logan appears with my requested drink, a vodka soda with a twist of lime. Gratitude surges through me as I accept the cool glass, and I offer him a wide, appreciative grin. "Thanks, Logan!" I say and he winks at me.

With my drink in hand, I resumed dancing, swaying my hips in time with the music's intoxicating rhythm. Sipping from the glass between dance moves, the cool liquid was a refreshing contrast to the warmth of the dancefloor. An unexpected touch on my hips sends a shiver of surprise down my spine. I turn my head to look over my shoulder, only to find Matt standing there, his presence sending a jolt of mixed emotions coursing through me. His hands on my hips are warm and familiar, the look in his eyes holds a mixture of longing and desire.

As the realization of Matt's presence settles in, I jolt away from his touch, my heart racing as I feel the need to escape the charged atmosphere that had suddenly surrounded me. It is as though the club has transformed into an emotional battleground, and I need to retreat from the front lines. I quickly make my way off the dancefloor, joining the rest of my friends at the table, Kylie right on my heels.

"Are you okay?" Her voice cuts through the noise of the club, and I can see the genuine worry in her eyes.

"I'm okay" I reassure her, offering a weak smile. She examines my face for a moment and I see the emotions changing in her face, ranging from worry to anger.

"Goddamn it, stupid, selfish bastard!" she roars. "Can't he let you enjoy a night out?"

"Kylie, it's okay, I..."

"No! It's not okay!" she interrupts me angrily. "If it was okay, you wouldn't have left the dancefloor now, would you?"

I shake my head and she takes my hand.

"Come on, we are getting out of here"