Chapter 43

Mallory

The soft glow of the setting sun bathes the room in warm hues as I prepare for the evening. Adam texted earlier, promising to take me out to dinner. A thrill of excitement courses through me as I stand before the mirror, admiring my reflection.

For tonight, I've chosen a form-fitting, ivory dress that hugs my curves in all the right places. The dress has an elegant neckline, teasing a hint of cleavage without being too revealing. Paired with it, I've slipped into strappy, nude stilettos that add a touch of sophistication to the ensemble. I opted for a subtle updo, my blonde waves secured in a loose bun, a few tendrils framing my face. The overall effect is classic with a modern edge—exactly what I was going for.

I twirl in front of the mirror, watching the dress flare out, and then gracefully sit on the edge of the bed. Glancing at the clock, I realize Adam should be arriving any moment now. Impatience bubbles within me and I stand and pace the bedroom. The excitement and nervous energy intertwine, creating a heady mix.

Suddenly, the front door swings open, and Adam's voice rings out, "Baby, I'm home." My heart skips a beat, and I rush to the living room to greet him. The expression on his face when he sees me is priceless. His jaw drops, and a slow grin spreads across his face as he takes in my appearance.

"Wow," he breathes out, his eyes lingering on me. "You look so sexy, absolutely gorgeous." He moves swiftly, wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me close to him. I fall into the solid warmth of his chest, my arms instinctively finding their place around his neck.

His lips meet mine in a heated kiss. I open my mouth to welcome him in, and the kiss deepens, a passionate exchange that leaves us both breathless. After a moment, we break apart, both of us wearing satisfied smiles.

"How was your first day?"

"It was great," he replies, a genuine smile lighting up his face. "Lots of new faces, and I'll tell you all about it over dinner."

"Sounds good," I say, a smile mirroring his forming on my lips. I watch as he glances at the clock and adds, "Give me five minutes to get ready."

As he disappears into the bedroom, I settle onto the couch, contemplating the surreal nature of this moment. It's one of those instances that make me wonder if I'm living in a dream. To verify, I playfully pinch myself, a secret test to ensure that this reality is indeed mine. A silent giggle escapes me as I realize that, no, I'm not dreaming; this is my life now.

Glancing toward the closed bedroom door, I'm relieved Adam didn't catch me in the act of self-pinching. After a brief wait, the bedroom door swings open, and there he is—Adam, looking drop-dead gorgeous. He effortlessly exudes a magnetic charm that sends a shiver down my spine. A tailored, navy-blue button-down shirt emphasizes the breadth of his shoulders, while the sleeves are casually rolled up. Paired with well-fitted white slacks, he exudes a confident yet laid-back vibe that makes my heart skip a beat.

A silver watch adorns his wrist, a touch of sophistication that complements the overall ensemble. His dark hair is tousled just enough to give him that rugged charm, and the scent of his cologne lingers in the air, adding an enticing layer to his presence.

"Wow," I can't help but utter, my eyes undoubtedly reflecting the admiration I feel. "You clean up nicely, Mr. Christensen."

He chuckles, running a hand through his hair. "Well, I have a gorgeous date to impress. It's only fair I put in the effort."

The compliment sends a warm flutter through me, and I playfully roll my eyes. "Flattery will get you everywhere"

"Good to know," he replies with a wink, and I can't help but smile. "Shall we?" extends his hand toward me, and I take it willingly, standing up to join him.

As we step into the hallway, Adam locks the door behind us. His hand finds mine, fingers intertwining effortlessly. We approach the elevator, and Adam presses the button to summon it. The elevator dings, and we step inside. Before I realize what is happening, Adam lifts me and pins me to the wall. His hands squeeze my butt and he kisses me hard. My arms wrap around his neck as he kisses me deeper. I feel his erection against me and I moan into his mouth. He breaks the kiss and looks down at me with a devilish grin. "I want you", he whispers, "right here, right now".

My breath catches in my throat as I hear the elevator ding, the doors sliding open. Adam places me down, grabs my hand and bring it to his lips. My legs feel like noodles, but a voice, harsh and cutting, disrupts the bubble of happiness around us. "You whore."

There, standing in the lobby with a look of seething anger, is Matt. His eyes are ablaze with fury, and his posture exudes an unsettling intensity.

I feel Adam tense beside me, his grip on my hand tightening instinctively. The atmosphere shifts, and the warmth of the moment is replaced by an unexpected tension. Matt's gaze is fixed squarely on me, a mixture of resentment and possessiveness in his eyes.

Ignoring the venom in Matt's voice, Adam maintains his composure. "Is there a problem?" he asks, his tone steady but tinged with a hint of wariness.

Matt takes a step closer, his gaze fixated on me. "Problem?" he scoffs. "The problem is her." He points an accusing finger in my direction.

I inhale deeply, summoning the strength to confront the unexpected confrontation. "Matt, what are you doing here?" I ask, attempting to keep my voice steady despite the brewing tension.

His eyes narrow, and he takes another step forward. "I should be asking you that question," he retorts, his tone dripping with disdain.

I take a step forward, breaking free from Adam's protective stance. "Matt, we're not together anymore," I assert, my voice unwavering. "You need to move on."

He takes a step back, a hint of desperation flickering in his eyes. "You can't just erase two years, Mallory. You're mine."

Adam steps forward, his protective instincts on high alert. "She's not yours, man. She's her own person, and she's made it clear she doesn't want to be with you."

Matt's face contorts with rage, and before I can process the unfolding situation, he lunges at Adam. The air crackles with hostility as the two men grapple, fists flying in a blur of motion. Adam skillfully counters Matt's aggression, deflecting blows and maintaining his ground.

"Stay out of this, Adam!" Matt grunts, his voice strained with effort.

But Adam is resolute, his determination evident as he manages to overpower Matt. With a swift motion, he pins Matt to the ground, holding him down with an unwavering strength.

"Enough, Matt!" Adam's voice carries a stern warning. "Leave her alone. It's over."

Matt struggles beneath Adam's grip, his face contorted with frustration. "You can't protect her forever," he snarls.

Adam's eyes flash with a stern resolve. "I don't need to. But I won't let you hurt her."

Matt's expression changes, a mixture of defeat and resentment. "This isn't over, Mallory," he seethes, shooting a venomous glance in my direction.

Adam releases his hold on Matt, allowing him to stand. As Matt staggers back, Adam steps between us, shielding me from any further aggression.

"Leave, Matt," Adam asserts, his voice firm. "This is the last warning. If you care about yourself, stay away from her."

Matt, his ego wounded and pride shattered, glares at us one final time before storming out of the lobby.

Adam turns to me, his hands gently cupping my face, concern etched in his eyes. "Are you okay, Mallory?" he asks, his voice filled with genuine worry.

I glance at the small cut on his lip, a result of the scuffle with Matt. Without thinking, I reach up and wipe away the trace of blood, my touch gentle. "I'm okay, Adam," I assure him, my voice steady despite the lingering adrenaline. "Are you?"

He nods, a faint grin forming. "I've had worse. If you're not up for it, we can do dinner another time."

Determined to not let Matt cast a shadow over our plans, I shake my head. "No, let's not give him that satisfaction. Our night isn't ruined because of him."

Adam's smile widens, and he offers his arm. I take it, feeling the warmth of his touch providing a comforting anchor as we step out of the building together.