Chapter 11

Mallory

I sit in the passenger seat of Kylie's car, the dim glow of the streetlights painting shifting patterns across my face. The night air, cool and crisp, fills the car as we speed away from the chaos of the club. Kylie's knuckles have turned white, contrasting sharply with the deep crimson of her freshly manicured nails.

"Thanks for getting me out of there," I whispered, the words heavy with gratitude.

Kylie glanced at me, her lips curling into a small, reassuring smile. "You don't need to thank me, you know."

I nod, a lump forming in my throat as I think about the unwavering support she always provided, especially when it mattered the most. My heart races, and my hands fidget with the edges of my seat. Kylie's presence is a comfort, but the residue of the encounter with Matt still lingers, casting a shadow over the car.

The brisk wind tousles my hair, and I roll down the window, sticking my hand out into the night, feeling the rush of the cool air against my skin. We drive through the darkened streets, passing by illuminated shop windows, deserted parks, and cozy cafes. The rhythmic hum of the engine merges with the songs on the radio, creating a soothing backdrop to my racing thoughts.

"Where are we going, Kylie?" I finally ask, breaking the silence.

Kylie's lips curl into a mysterious smile. "Just trust me," she replies, her eyes focused on the road ahead.

Kylie's car ascended the winding road, leading us higher and higher until we reached a secluded, high spot that offered a panoramic view of the entire town below. The city lights glowed like distant stars, casting a warm and inviting radiance across the landscape. She parked the car, and we stepped out into the chilly night air.

Before us, the town sprawled like a tapestry, a quilt of twinkling lights and darkened streets. It was as if the world had slowed down, the noises of the city receding into a distant hum. A bench sat at the edge of the overlook, bathed in the soft illumination of a nearby lamppost, beckoning us to sit. The view was breathtaking. The town stretched out in all directions, the streets winding through neighborhoods, the river reflecting the shimmering city lights, and the distant hills blending with the ink-black night sky.

The world seemed to pause, and for a few minutes, we sat in silence, each of us lost in our own thoughts, contemplating the beauty and vastness of the world that lay at our feet. It was as though time had slowed down, allowing us to catch our breath and find solace in the simple act of being.

Kylie's voice broke the stillness of the night, her concern evident as she asked, "Are you okay?"

I take a deep breath, feeling a sense of serenity as we sat side by side on the bench. "I feel a lot better now," I reply, my words a soft exhale, as if a weight had been lifted from my chest.

For a few moments, we sit in silence, both lost in our own thoughts. A mixture of emotions swirls within me, and as I take in the breathtaking view, a flicker of anger starts to smolder beneath the surface. The serene atmosphere clashes with the storm brewing in my mind.

"It's just so baffling, Kylie," I confess, my words tinged with frustration and incredulity. "He broke up with me. I know he's doing it because he thinks there's something going on with me and Adam, and it makes me mad! What am I? A toy?"

Kylie's brow furrows, her concern etched into the lines of her expression. "Do you want him back?" she inquires gently, her tone soft and probing.

I shake my head, "No, definitely not. I want him to leave me alone."

"Mallory, he is still affecting you," she observes, "You're not completely over him."

I look down at my hands, tangled together in my lap, and admit, "I know he's affecting me, but not in the way you think. Sure, it felt good the other night when he hugged me, but tonight I couldn't stand his touch. I didn't want his hands on me. I thought I wanted him to come back, but I don't trust him anymore."

Kylie nods knowingly. "That's the logical part of your brain talking, Mal."

I sigh, a feeling mix of frustration and self-awareness. "I know. Somehow, though, it overpowers my emotions."

"Maybe meeting Adam had something to do with it," Kylie muses, casting a mischievous glance in my direction. I can't help but chuckle.

"Yeah, maybe," I reply, though the smile quickly fades. "He hasn't answered any of my texts, Kylie" Kylie's face registers her disappointment, mirroring my own feelings.

"Well, that's disappointing."

"Tell me about it.", I agree, my frustration evident in my voice.

We both turn our attention to the glittering city below, the distant lights pulsating with their own stories. Kylie's eyes widen as she suddenly realizes something

"Holy shit" she exclaims slapping her forehead, "we shouldn't have left the club!"

I look at her, confusion furrowing my brow. "Why, Kylie?"

Kylie leans in, her voice filled with urgency. "Logan was there, Mallory. Logan is Adam's cousin. You could talk to him!"

My eyes widened with realization. "Oh my God, you're right!" Why didn't I think of it? "But wouldn't I seem too desperate?" I wonder aloud.

Kylie ponders for a moment. "Hmm, I honestly have no idea. But I don't think that Logan would ever think of you as desperate. At least he may be able to put your mind at ease."

I nod, grateful for her perspective. "Yeah, you're right. I'll wait a bit more, and if Adam doesn't show up, I'll talk to Logan."

I nestle closer to Kylie, a wave of gratitude washing over me. "Thank you, Kylie."

Kylie flashes a reassuring smile. "Anytime, Mallory."