Chapter 38

Adam

"So far, so good," I say, a smile playing on my lips as I glance at Mallory.

She chuckles, her eyes sparkling. "The night is still young, you know," she teases, her fingers tapping lightly on the counter.

I place the glasses of wine on the counter and turn to face her. My eyes catch the careful way she handles the hors d'oeuvres, arranging them with precision. As she catches me staring, she raises an eyebrow and asks, "What's on your mind?"

I open my arms and say, "Come here."

She obliges, stepping into my embrace, and I hug her tight. The scent of her hair soothes me, but underneath the surface, I can't shake the nagging thoughts about her sister's words. What did Melanie mean by "under better circumstances"? Is Matt still causing problems? Why hasn't Mallory mentioned anything to me?

I press a kiss on her head, my fingers gently tracing patterns on her back. "Is everything okay?" I ask, my voice low.

Mallory tilts her head to look up at me, her eyes meeting mine. "Everything is perfect," she assures me with a warm smile.

"Melanie mentioned meeting under better circumstances," I bring it up gently, feeling her tense in my arms.

I hug her tighter, wanting to provide comfort. "What's going on, baby?" I inquire gently.

Mallory sighs, hesitating for a moment before speaking. "There's nothing to worry about, Adam."

"But there is something," I press, concern etched on my face.

Mallory looks at me, her gaze sincere. "Can we talk about it after dinner, please?" she requests, and I nod.

I pull her closer and hug her tightly, offering silent comfort. She buries her head in my chest, and for a moment, everything else fades away. The doorbell interrupts our moment, and I release her reluctantly.

"I'll get that," I say, placing a lingering kiss on her forehead.

Opening the door, I find Logan and Emma, the missing pieces of our gathering. "Hey, you two made it!" I greet them with a smile.

Logan grins. "Wouldn't miss it for the world."

The evening unfolds with a harmonious rhythm, laughter and conversation filling the room. Our friends gather around the dining table, an array of delectable dishes before them. The table is set with care, adorned with flickering candles that cast a warm glow. Tonight's menu is a delightful spread—roasted chicken drizzled with savory herbs, a medley of grilled vegetables, and a fragrant rice pilaf.

As we serve the dinner, my gaze drifts toward Mallory. Despite the lively atmosphere, a tinge of worry lingers beneath the surface. I want to know what's on her mind, to share in whatever concerns she carries, but I decide to push it aside for now. Tonight is about friends, about creating lasting memories, and I don't want anything to overshadow that.

The clinking of cutlery and the hum of conversation fill the room as our friends dig into the feast. I glance at Mallory, who's fully engaged in Marcus's animated storytelling. Her laughter dances through the air, a melody that brings a smile to my face. The dinner progresses smoothly, each dish met with approval and compliments from our friends. The chicken is succulent, the vegetables burst with flavor, and the rice pilaf is a perfect accompaniment.

Dinner concludes, leaving a contented hum lingering in the air. Everyone rises from their seats, eager to contribute to the post-dinner rituals. Mallory and Kylie emerge from the kitchen, bearing the cheesecake. They start serving generous slices and the anticipation in the room rises.

I take a forkful and savor the first taste. The crust crumbles delicately, giving way to the luscious filling. The sweetness is just right, dancing on the taste buds without overwhelming them. The creaminess envelops my palate, and the burst of berries provides a refreshing contrast. It's a divine combination, a heavenly treat that elevates the dining experience.

My eyes meet Kylie's, and I can't help but express my delight. "Kylie, this is the best cheesecake I have ever had," I commend her, and she beams with pride.

"I'm glad you like it, Adam," she says, her voice carrying a hint of satisfaction.

Mallory chimes in, a playful glint in her eyes as she teases me. "Well, Adam, looks like you're in trouble now. You'll never be satisfied with any other cheesecake after tasting Kylie's masterpiece," she says with a mischievous grin.

I chuckle, nodding in agreement. "I think you might be right, Mallory. Kylie has set the bar pretty high," I admit, shooting a playful glance at her.

As we finish the last bites, I suggest we move to the living room. Mallory, ever attentive, asks if anyone needs anything else. Our friends are all satiated and assure her they are content.

We gather around the coffee table in the living room, a sense of relaxation settling over us. I sink into an armchair, and Mallory gracefully takes a seat on my lap. The room is alive with conversations—Logan animatedly discussing something with Sean, Kylie and Emma sharing lighthearted giggles, Marcus engrossed in a deep conversation with Melanie.

Mallory presses a soft kiss on the crown of my head, and I turn to look at her. Her eyes, pools of adoration, meet mine. How did I get so lucky? I tighten my embrace, holding her a little closer, as if trying to capture the essence of this perfect moment.

As the night winds down, our friends gradually bid their farewells, leaving Mallory and me alone. We enter the kitchen begin the task of loading the dishwasher.

"That was a great evening," Mallory remarks, her voice a melody in the quiet kitchen. "We should do that again sometime."

I glance at her, a grin playing on my lips. "Marcus will probably ask us to."

Mallory looks at me with a befuddled expression, her confusion palpable. I chuckle at her reaction, finding amusement in her obliviousness. "Come on, don't tell me you didn't notice it?"

"Notice what?" she asks, her eyebrows furrowing.

"Marcus and Melanie," I reply, a teasing glint in my eyes.

"Marcus and Melanie?" she echoes, clearly shocked by the revelation.

I can't help but chuckle at her reaction. "Yes, Marcus and Melanie," I confirm, finding amusement in her astonishment. " Don't worry, Marcus is a good guy,"

"He better be," she retorts, a playful edge to her tone.

After a few moments of silence, I turn to Mallory, and gently ask, "Are you ready to talk about whatever is going on?"