Chapter 89

Mallory

The champagne silk dress clings to my curves like a second skin, its luxurious fabric smooth against my fingertips. The gown drapes elegantly, the silk cascading down from the fitted bodice to a graceful, floor-length hem. A subtle V-neckline reveals a hint of décolletage, adding a touch of allure without sacrificing sophistication. The thin spaghetti straps delicately trace the edges of my shoulders, allowing the gown to frame my silhouette with effortless grace. The back plunges into a low, daring scoop.

As I move, the silk catches the light, creating a mesmerizing play of shadows and highlights that accentuate every sway and step. The gown is tailored to perfection, skimming my body in all the right places, hugging my waist before cascading into a subtle A-line skirt that pools around my feet. The hem is adorned with a delicate sweep train, adding a whisper of drama to my every movement.

"My goodness, Mallory! Adam really has taste!" Melanie exclaims as I admire myself in the mirror. The dress he picked out is beyond stunning—I twirl in front of the mirror, unable to take my eyes off the reflection. He really outdid himself, and I didn't even dare to ask him how much it cost. The fabric is so beautiful; I can't stop running my fingertips over it.

"I know, right?" I respond with a satisfied sigh, turning to look at my awestruck sister. "I should take it off," I say, heading to the closet to change. As I start to undress, I casually ask, "So how is it going with Daniel?"

"It's going great!" Melanie responds with excitement, and I can't help but roll my eyes. Fuck.

"He really has changed, you know," Melanie adds, blissfully unaware of my scowling expression.

"That's wonderful," I reply, pretending to be genuinely excited. I carefully hang up the dress and start putting on my regular clothes.

I exit the closet, looking at her curiously. "Where is he going?" I ask.

"His cousin is getting married. It's a destination wedding, so he'll stay there for the whole week," she says, a hint of sadness in her voice. Fucking Daniel.

"Why aren't you going with him?" I inquire, trying to sound carefree.

"I wanted to go, but he said it's a family event, and we just started dating. He feels that it's too early for that," she replies. Fucking Daniel. Too early my ass.

"Oh, right," I say, forcing a smile. I need to find a way to ask about the girl she saw with Marcus. But how?

"We'll have a small gathering again next week. You should come," I suggest.

Melanie's eyes light up. "I'll be there," she says. Her smile fades a little as she asks, "Will Marcus be there?"

I shrug and say, "I don't know. I haven't asked Adam about it. Do you mind if he is?"

Melanie thinks about it. "I don't know. I don't think so. It's just... I know I shouldn't, but I'm still a little angry at him," she admits.

Bingo. I take a seat next to Melanie on the bed. "Well, you have every right to be," I say, hoping she'll open up more about her feelings.

Melanie nods, her gaze distant. "I know... I can't get their image out of my head, Mallory. I think I'm angry because I thought this was really going somewhere, you know? Like what you have with Adam," she confesses, and my heart breaks a little for my sister.

"You haven't talked to me about it— I mean, really talked about it," I suggest gently, hoping she'll share more details.

Melanie turns to look at me, her eyes reflecting a mixture of frustration and sadness. "I was out with Evie, at that cafe by the river. We were talking, I don't remember about what, and suddenly Evie's eyes went wide. She was the first one to tell me that she had seen Adam out with a girl, you know. They were out shopping when Evie saw them. I'm getting off track, though; she whispered to me to look discreetly behind me. I did, and I saw him. He had his arm around a tall, beautiful blonde woman. They were walking and laughing, strolling by the river," Melanie says.

God, please don't let all of Marcus' sisters be blonde. I should get some more details in case they are. "That's awful, Melanie," I say, rubbing her back gently. It's heartbreaking to see her like this.

"That wasn't even the girl that Evie saw him with. She saw him with a brunette. She thought it was me at first," Melanie continues, her voice tinged with sorrow.

"What did she look like?" I ask, trying to gather as much information as possible. Melanie looks at me curiously, and I add, "I'm just curious," shrugging.

"Well, she was really beautiful, definitely taller than me. She wore jeans and a white tank top. I think she had a tattoo on her arm? A crescent moon or something. A bit ironic, Marcus said that he hates tattoos," Melanie chuckles, but I can tell she's hurting.

"That sounds tough, Melanie. I'm so sorry you had to go through that," I say, sincerely wishing I could do something to ease her pain.

Melanie wipes away a tear and manages a weak smile. "It's just frustrating, you know? I thought Marcus was different, but it seems like they're all the same."

I take her hand in mine, offering what comfort I can. "Not everyone is the same, Mel. People make mistakes, and sometimes appearances can be deceiving. It might be worth talking to Marcus about it before jumping to conclusions."

Melanie shakes her head, her expression a mix of frustration and resignation. "What could I possibly have misunderstood, Mallory?" she asks, her voice edged with disappointment. Before I even start talking, she says, "And I am with Daniel now, so it doesn't matter anyway." Her words hang in the air, a finality to them.

I nod, realizing the futility of trying to explain further at this moment. "You're right, Mel. I'm sorry," I say, trying to keep my tone light. She pulls me into a tight hug, and I can feel the tension radiating from her. Why the hell didn't Marcus tell her about his sisters? We wouldn't be in this mess right now. I just hope Melanie meeting Marcus' sister will be enough to clear up the misunderstanding.