Chapter 107

Adam

I pull over outside Mallory's parents' house, the engine humming as I turn off the ignition. The air outside is crisp, carrying the scent of autumn leaves. I glance at the darkened sky; she should be done by now. Two hours felt like an eternity, and I left her to pack the clothes she'll need for our departure. I shake off the chill as I step out of the car, the anticipation of seeing her bubbling inside me.

Marcus's incessant chatter about Melanie echoes in my mind, a conversation that nearly drove me to the brink of irritation. I have to help him clear the air with Melanie. I'll talk to Mallory about it on our way home.

It's strange to think we'll be leaving the apartment where our story started, where Mallory stayed with me during our final exams just to spend time together. It feels like ages ago. I walk up to the front door and ring the bell, my impatience growing with each passing second. It might have been just two hours, but I've missed Mallory already. The door opens, and the look on Mallory's face erases the smile from mine.

Mallory hugs me swiftly, her arms wrapping around my body, and I hold her close, one hand on her waist and the other on her head. "What is it, baby?" I ask, concern etching my voice. I look at her parents, confused, their expressions grim.

"Matt was set free," Mallory's father says, and my stomach drops. Why on earth would they set that son of a bitch free? "Detective Reynolds called; he didn't know further details," he adds.

Okay, so helping Marcus with Melanie will have to wait. "Are you packed?" I ask Mallory, tilting her face up.

"Yeah, I'm all set," she says, her eyes reflecting a mixture of emotions.

"Good, let's load the car. We're going back tonight," I say with determination. Mallory's father nods and motions me to follow him. I reluctantly leave Mallory and follow him to retrieve the suitcases. We load them into my car and return to the living room.

"Let's go," I say, my urgency apparent. Mallory hugs her mother, and her father shakes my hand. "Drive safe," he advises, his concern evident and I nod. Mallory's mother hugs me tightly and whispers, "Take good care of her."

"Don't worry," I manage a reassuring smile.

Mallory hugs her father one last time, and we leave their home, stepping into the night. I take the driver's seat, start the car, and drive away.

I navigate through the city streets, my grip on the steering wheel tightening as the buildings gradually give way to the open road. I let out a heavy sigh of relief when we finally reach the highway, the familiar hum of the tires on asphalt providing a momentary sense of solace.

"I think your mother is behind Matt's release," Mallory says, her voice breaking through the silence of the car. I snap my head to her and then back to the road. Fuck, she's right. The idea sends a shiver down my spine. I shake my head, trying to process the implications. "It's the only logical explanation," I say, my voice low with a mix of frustration and concern. This is getting dangerous, and I need to find out if it's true.

"How are we going to move?" Mallory asks, bringing my attention back to the immediate concerns.

"We'll have a moving company handle everything," I reply, trying to maintain a sense of control in the midst of chaos.

"I wanted to say goodbye to our apartment," Mallory sighs, her voice carrying a mix of nostalgia and sadness. Our apartment. Our first home. I reach for her hand and bring it to my lips, placing a soft kiss on it, my eyes remaining fixed on the road.

"I know, baby. I did too," I say, a heaviness settling in my chest.

We drive in silence for a little while, the road stretching out before us like an uncertain path. I don't know what to say to her. Matt was supposed to be a thing of the past, a chapter closed. I want to protect her, shield her from the dangers that seem to linger, but I feel like I can't promise her safety.

"When we get settled in the new apartment, can I invite Kylie over for a weekend? I have really missed her," Mallory asks, pulling me from my spiraling thoughts.

"Of course, baby. You don't have to ask," I say, a small smile playing on my lips.

Mallory smiles back, and the tension in the car eases a little. "Great," she says, a flicker of optimism in her eyes.

"Marcus kept bugging me about Melanie today," I share, breaking the silence that settled between us. Mallory sighs, her expression mirroring my own frustration. "Ugh, my mom did too. I told her about Marcus and Melanie, and she said that we should invite them all over, even if Melanie brings Daniel. She says that meeting Marcus' sister should be enough," Mallory explains, her voice tinged with resignation.

"I think that she may be right," I admit, considering the idea.

"Well, that plan went to shit real fast," Mallory says sadly, and I steal a glance at her, watching as she looks out the window. Everything keeps getting more and more complicated.

"Hey," I say softly, squeezing Mallory's hand. "We'll think of something, baby," I assure her.

Mallory squeezes my hand back, and a quiet "Thank you" escapes her lips. We drive the rest of the way in silence, the hum of the engine and the passing scenery the only sounds in the car. As we finally reach the hotel, it feels like a weight has been lifted off my chest.

Mallory and I step out of the car, leaving her suitcases in the trunk. I notice the fatigue in Mallory's eyes, unsure if it's from the trip or the weight of everything that's been going on. Without a word, I slide my arm around her shoulders, pulling her close. Mallory reciprocates by wrapping her arm around my waist, and together, we make our way to the hotel room.

I hate everything she's going through, the uncertainty and danger that seem to lurk around every corner. But right now, as we walk side by side, I can't imagine my life without her. She is my anchor in the storm, and I'm determined to weather it together.

When all of this is over, I promise myself, I'll make it worth her while. I'll do everything in my power to make her the happiest woman on this earth. For now, we have to be patient and careful, until my father wakes up.