Chapter 77

Mallory

I wake up in the arms of Adam, his steady breaths indicating that he's still lost in the world of dreams. Carefully, I extricate myself from his embrace, propping myself up on my elbows. Glancing at the clock on the nightstand, I realize we've slept in, and a smile creeps onto my face as I recall the events of the previous day.

The memories flood back—Adam's surprises, the enchanting day at the winery, the romantic dinner on the deck of the lake house, our playful tryst in the lake, and the passionate lovemaking that followed until we were too spent to move, falling asleep on top of each other. It was an incredible birthday.

Sighing contentedly, I slip out of bed, careful not to disturb Adam's peaceful slumber. The floorboards creak beneath my feet as I make my way to the kitchen. I want to express my gratitude to Adam for making my birthday so special, although I can't help but chuckle to myself, thinking that I might have already made up for it in my own way last night.

In the kitchen, I decide to whip up a delicious breakfast as a thank you gesture. French toast sounds perfect, and I gather the ingredients, losing myself in the rhythmic motions of cooking. After a few minutes, I hear Adam descending the stairs. I glance over my shoulder, a bright smile on my face.

"Good morning!" I greet him cheerfully.

Adam comes up behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist and planting a soft kiss on my neck. A delightful shiver runs down my spine as I continue cooking. Adam whispers in my ear, his warm breath sending tingles down my skin, "Good morning, baby." He pulls back slightly, his blue eyes locking onto mine. "How did you sleep?"

I smile, leaning into his touch. "Like a dream. And you?"

"It might have been the best sleep of my life," he admits with a satisfied grin. His hands linger on my waist as he offers, "Need any help?"

I chuckle, shaking my head. "I'm almost done. Why don't you set the table?"

As Adam takes care of the table, I finish cooking and serve up the French toast, and we sit down to enjoy our meal. Amid the clinking of utensils, Adam's phone rings, and he glances at the screen.

"It's Detective Reynolds," he says, his expression serious as he picks up the call. My heart skips a beat as a wave of uncertainty washes over me. I can tell by Adam's expression that it's something serious.

He hangs up, turning his gaze to me. "Matt's trial has been moved up. It starts tomorrow."

Tomorrow? The word echoes in my mind, catching me off guard. I look at Adam, seeking confirmation in his solemn nod. I hadn't expected it to be so soon, but then again, maybe it's for the best. The sooner we face this trial, the sooner we can put this nightmare behind us.

"This is great news," I tell him, surprising even myself. Adam looks at me, a mix of surprise and concern in his eyes. "Are you sure?" he asks.

"Yes," I reply with conviction. "The sooner he's behind bars, the better."

Adam shakes his head, concern etched on his face. "Are you ready to face him?" he asks.

"I'm ready," I affirm, a steely resolve settling over me. There's no turning back, and I won't let the fear control me.

Adam sighs, his expression shifting to something more serious. "Detective Reynolds mentioned something else. Matt's lawyer might argue that he's mentally unstable. If the court believes that, he might not go to jail."

The anger in me surges like a wildfire. I stand up, unable to contain it. "What?" I exclaim, my voice sharp with disbelief.

Adam reaches for my hand, trying to steady me. "I'll call my father," he says, "and ask for his lawyer to assist with the case. Matt won't get away so easily."

Adam walks to the deck to make the call, leaving me seething with frustration. Un-fucking-believable. I pace back and forth, my mind racing with memories from the days at the mill, that damn mill that connects us all in this twisted dance. Matt's erratic behavior, the tension that always lingered in the air—it all comes flooding back.

As Matt's face materializes in my mind, I pinch the bridge of my nose, grappling with the conflicting emotions within me. Maybe he does need psychiatric help. He's not in his right mind. But then again, prison can provide that help too.

Adam returns, wrapping his arms around me. "My father's lawyer will handle the case. You'll just need to show up to testify if you don't want to stay for the whole trial."

I bury my face in Adam's strong chest, sighing. His touch has this calming effect on me, and right now, I need it more than ever. I tilt my head up and look around the room with a hint of sadness in my eyes.

"I guess we'll be leaving the lake house today," I say, the reality sinking in.

Adam kisses the top of my head, his lips warm against my hair. "We can come back any time, baby," he reassures me.

A small smile plays on my lips, and I respond, "I would like that."

"Good," Adam says, his voice filled with warmth. "What time do you want to leave?"

I don't want to leave at all, but I know it's inevitable. I sigh, suggesting, "How about late in the afternoon? That way, we'll have the whole day to enjoy being here a little longer."

Adam nods in agreement and pulls me closer to him, his lips finding mine in a sweet, lingering kiss. When we break apart, he kisses my forehead, and I revel in the warmth of his embrace. For a moment, the worries about Matt and the upcoming trial fade away, replaced by the comforting presence of Adam.

I stay in his arms a bit longer, savoring the feeling of his solid body against mine.

Slowly, the memories of Matt and the impending trial begin to fade into the background. The love and safety I feel in Adam's arms are like a healing balm for my soul.

An idea takes root in my mind, and I look up at Adam. "What do you have in mind for today?" I ask, a mischievous glint in my eyes.

Adam chuckles, "I planned on taking you on a hike."

I pretend to ponder the suggestion, then shrug casually. "Maybe later."

Curiosity creeps into Adam's expression. "What do you want to do, then?"

I turn around and start walking towards the deck, looking back at Adam over my shoulder.

"You"