Chapter 103

Adam

"He's in the ICU. We're doing everything we can," the doctor assures, though his words provide little solace.

"Thank you, doctor," I murmur. With a solemn nod, the doctor leaves, leaving me standing in the sterile hallway of the hospital. I turn around, and my mother's eyes lock onto mine. There's a palpable tension in the air as I approach her, our gazes holding the weight of the situation.

"He's in a coma," I utter, and my mother's eyes widen with shock. Her face contorts with a mix of grief and disbelief. She covers her mouth with trembling hands, and for a moment, I feel a pang of sympathy. But it quickly fades, replaced by the lingering resentment of her behavior.

"I hope you are satisfied with yourself," I say, the words escaping with a bitterness I can no longer contain.

My mother's eyes narrow, her voice a hushed whisper, "How dare you? You think this is what I wanted?"

"Honestly, Mom, I don't even know anymore," I reply, turning away from her before she can counter. I step into the hospital courtyard, feeling the cool air against my face. The weight of the situation presses down on me, and I close my eyes, attempting to find some semblance of calm.

This can't be happening. I open my eyes and run both hands through my hair, frustration and disbelief coursing through me. My father, the pillar of strength, now lies in a hospital bed, trapped in a coma. The words feel foreign in my mind, the reality too surreal to fully grasp.

I find my way to a bench and sink onto it, exhaustion seeping into every fiber of my being. Damn it. The reality of the situation crashes over me like relentless waves. My father is in a coma. The phrase reverberates in my mind, the desperate echoes of reality bouncing off the walls of my thoughts. I stare into the distance, grappling with the overwhelming emotions threatening to consume me.

Damn it. I reach into my pocket, fumbling for my phone. Mallory needs to know what's happening. Pulling out my phone, I dial her number, each ring echoing the tension in my chest. After a few moments, her voice comes through the line.

"Hey, Adam, what's up?" she greets cheerfully.

"Mallory," I begin, my voice betraying the weight of the news I'm about to deliver. "It's my father. He had a severe heart attack, and he's in a coma."

Silence hangs in the air, the gravity of my words sinking in. Mallory's response is a whispered, "Oh, God."

"I'm at the hospital right now. It's... it's a lot to process. I just wanted you to know," I say, my voice breaking.

"Oh, Adam, I'm so sorry. I'm on my way," she says, her voice filled with genuine empathy.

"Thank you," I reply, the gratitude seeping into my words. "I need you, Mallory."

"I'll be there as soon as I can. Stay strong," she reassures me, the sincerity in her voice providing a glimmer of hope.

We hang up the phone, and I find myself still staring into the distance, the weight of the situation pressing on my shoulders. The presence of my mother is a mere afterthought; if she causes any trouble for Mallory, I'll have no hesitation in asking security to escort her out. With a deep sigh, I decide to leave the courtyard and head back inside the hospital.

Returning to the spot where I left my mother, I'm relieved to find her gone. Good. I hope she left, sparing us any unnecessary drama. Aimlessly wandering through the hospital corridors, I eventually settle on a couch in the lobby, waiting for Mallory's arrival.

After a few minutes, the hospital doors swing open, and Mallory walks through. Our eyes lock, and I stand up. Without hesitation, we close the distance between us, bodies colliding in a tight, comforting hug. "Baby, I'm so sorry. What happened?" Mallory's voice is filled with concern as she embraces me.

I hold her tighter, seeking solace in her presence. Inhaling her soothing scent, even a few seconds in her arms already eases the turmoil within me. I kiss the top of her head and gently tilt her face up to meet her eyes. "Thank you for coming. It means so much," I express my gratitude, and with that, I press my lips onto hers with fervor.

Mallory responds to the kiss, her tongue dancing with mine, her hands gripping my arms. Breaking the kiss, she buries her head on my chest. I stroke her hair gently, finding comfort in her warmth.

"My mother showed up at the lawyer's office," I confess, my voice low, and I feel Mallory's body stiffen as she looks up at me. I kiss her forehead, attempting to gather the strength to continue. "They had a fight, and..." I trail off, unable to articulate the words that hang heavily in the air. My eyes well up with unshed tears, emotions threatening to overwhelm me.

Mallory cups my cheeks gently, her warm touch grounding. "Your father is going to be okay, baby. He's a fighter; he will be okay, you'll see," she reassures me, pulling me into another tight hug. Her arms snake around my neck as I hold her close, I take a few deep breaths, trying to calm the storm raging within.

"We didn't get to sign the papers," I murmur.

Mallory pulls back, looking into my eyes with unwavering confidence. "You will do it, as soon as your father wakes up. Everything will be okay, baby," she says, her words infused with a soothing certainty. I nod, grateful for her reassurance.

"Can we see him?" Mallory asks, and I shake my head in response. "Baby, I know you don't want to leave the hospital. But you should come back to the hotel and rest," she suggests, her concern evident in her eyes.

"No, I have to be here. What if he wakes up? He'll be all alone," I argue, my determination unwavering.

Before Mallory can respond, a familiar voice interrupts us. "Mallory, Adam," Dr. Ted Bennet greets us, my father's friend and confidant. Mallory steps beside me as I extend a hand to Ted. "Ted, so good to see you," I say, grateful for his presence.

"Mallory called me about your father. Give me some time, and I'll get you some updates," Ted says, offering a small smile before walking away.

I turn to Mallory, gratitude evident in my gaze. "Thank you for calling him," I express, acknowledging her quick thinking.

"Actually, I called him to ask about your father's condition. I thought you would have notified him," she admits.

"I guess I was too panicked to think straight," I mumble, appreciating Mallory's proactive approach.

Mallory and I settle on the lobby couch, waiting for Ted's return. I wrap my arm around Mallory's shoulders, she leans her head on me, and for a brief moment, the chaos surrounding us subsides. The events of the day weigh heavily on my shoulders, and I can't shake the feeling that everything has spiraled out of control.

God, this day went to shit. My mother needs to be stopped before she inflicts any more damage on those around her. As Mallory and I wait, I glance at her, appreciating the silent support we offer each other.

Half an hour later, Ted returns with a serious look on his face. He nods at us, motioning for us to follow him. Mallory and I exchange a glance, and without hesitation, we stand up, our hands intertwined as we follow Ted to his office.