Chapter 110

Adam

I place the paperwork I've been pretending to read for the past hour on the desk. Distractions swarm my mind, making it nearly impossible to focus. I shut my eyes and rub them with my hands, feeling the weight of fatigue settling in. A break is long overdue.

Rising from my seat, I decide to head to the cafeteria. On my way there, a procession of concerned faces stops me, each person wanting updates on my father's condition and expressing excitement about my impending involvement in the company. Their genuine care for my father fills me with pride. By the time I reach the cafeteria, the brief encounters have left me feeling oddly renewed, my spirits lifted by their support.

I order a cup of coffee and wait for it, leaning on the counter. A familiar voice startles me from my thoughts, "Hey, little boss. How is it going so far?" I turn to see Aunt Lily, a woman who, while not technically my aunt, has been a constant presence in my life. She's middle-aged, with striking brown eyes and hair, a little on the shorter side but exuding a timeless beauty.

I greet her with a warm hug, finding comfort in her familiar presence. "Aunt Lily. They could be better," I admit as we pull away.

"Well, they could be a lot worse," she replies with a reassuring smile. She's right. My father's meticulous management has ensured the company practically runs itself, alleviating some of the burdens during this challenging time.

Lily orders and I pay for her coffee. "You shouldn't have done that," she protests.

"You shouldn't call me little boss anymore," I chuckle, remembering her playful nickname that's stuck since childhood.

"What should I call you then? Big boss?" she teases.

I shake my head, laughing. "Nope, just Adam, maybe?"

She shrugs, dismissing the idea. "Nah. I like calling you little boss."

The barista brings our steaming mugs, and we take our coffee. Lily motions for me to follow her, and we find an empty table nearby.

"So, how's your day going?" she asks, taking a sip of her coffee.

I sigh, feeling the weight of the responsibilities on my shoulders. "It's a lot to take in, Aunt Lily. There's so much to manage, especially with Dad's situation."

She nods, understanding the gravity of the situation. "Your father built something incredible here. It's a testament to his hard work and dedication. You'll do great, little boss."

"I hope so," I respond, taking a sip of my coffee. The warmth of the mug feels comforting in my hands.

Aunt Lily leans in, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "So, I hear there is a special someone in your life."

I can't help but smile. "Her name is Mallory, and she is wonderful. Beautiful, smart, and kind," I say, the affection in my voice evident.

"I can't wait to meet her," Aunt Lily replies, sharing in my excitement.

"I hope we'll have you over for dinner when all of this is over. Unless, of course, my mother scares her away," I add, frustration showing slightly in my voice.

Aunt Lily scoffs and mumbles something under her breath. I catch a word that sounds like "hypocrite." "What?" I ask, curious about her muttered remark.

Aunt Lily forces a smile, her frustration evident. "Nothing, honey. It just makes me mad that your mother is meddling with your life once again," she admits, her voice tinged with irritation.

I let out a sigh, echoing her sentiment. "Tell me about it."

"How is your father?" Aunt Lily asks, her concern evident in her eyes.

"Still in a coma," I reply, the weight of the situation pressing on me. I desperately wish for him to wake up soon, to bring an end to this challenging chapter.

"I still can't believe your mother caused him a heart attack," she says, her disbelief mirroring my own sentiments.

"I know," I mutter, recalling the harrowing moment when my father collapsed. It's almost inconceivable that my once seemingly invincible father is now in such a fragile state.

"It's not a good plan, you know. I told your father too," Aunt Lily shares, her voice laced with concern.

"What do you mean?" I ask, intrigued by her cryptic statement.

"Your mother could file a suit claiming that your father passed everything to you so he could divorce her. She would have a strong case too, since you have never worked here. It doesn't make sense for your father to step down," she explains.

My mind processes her words, and a realization hits me. "You knew?" I ask, surprised that my father confided in her about this.

"Of course, little boss. I know everything," she says with a wink.

"So, you know about the prenup too?"

She nods solemnly. "Nasty terms. I advised your father not to sign it. But she was pregnant with you, and he felt he didn't have a choice," she reveals.

"You didn't see it that way?" I question, curious about Aunt Lily's perspective on the matter.

She shakes her head. "Nope, I never believed that your mother could take you away from him. I'm sorry to say it, kid, but your mother could never leave your father to enjoy all of his money and riches alone," she says.

"I can't say she is wrong," I admit, the painful truth settling in. The realization is stark – my mother's priorities have always leaned more towards wealth than family. It's a bitter pill to swallow. Damn it, we're trapped.

I close my eyes, trying to block out the overwhelming thoughts, and pinch the bridge of my nose with my thumb and forefinger. "Fuck, we are so screwed," I sigh.

"Language," Aunt Lily pretends to scold me.

I open my eyes and look at her, a plea in my gaze. "Aunt Lily, he can't divorce her," I whisper, the frustration evident in my voice.

She leans in, concern etched on her face. "She is relentless. She won't stop at anything. Mallory's ex was in prison for kidnapping her, the man is dangerous and unstable! And my mother set him free!" I reveal, the words tumbling out with a mix of anger and disbelief.

Aunt Lily's eyes widen, her jaw dropping in shock. "What the fuck?" she mutters, processing the shocking revelation.

"Yeah, and my father can't divorce her without losing everything because, as horrible as she was, she was fucking loyal," I add, my frustration escalating.

Aunt Lily shifts in her chair, her expression morphing into one of discomfort. "Aunt Lily?" I ask, sensing the unease that has settled upon her.

She takes a deep breath before speaking, her words weighed down by the gravity of the situation. "Adam, there's something you need to know." Her gaze meets mine, and a sense of foreboding tightens my chest.

I nod, encouraging her to continue. "What is it, Aunt Lily?"

Chapter 111