Chapter 32

Mallory

"Hello?" I hear Rachel answering the phone.

"Adam? Is Adam there? I am Mallory, I need to talk to him" I say, feigning confusion and urgency.

Rachel stays silent for a few moments and I hear her asking Adam to excuse her.

"Adam's not around," she says after a few moments, her tone laced with a possessive edge. "I'm his girlfriend. Don't bother him anymore. He's mine and mine alone."

"I don't understand," I protest, my voice trembling with feigned confusion. "I thought Adam and I were..."

But Rachel cuts me off, her tone sharp and possessive. "Adam is mine, and you better not bother him anymore. I've seen your texts, and he doesn't want anything to do with you. Got it?"

The phone call ends, leaving me momentarily stunned. The weight of the act hangs in the air, a surreal blend of fiction and reality. Quickly, I rush to Kylie's hiding spot, my heart still racing. "Did you get it?" I ask, desperation in my voice.

Kylie grins, revealing her phone. "Of course, I got it. Sent it to both of you already."

Relief washes over me, and I pull her into a tight hug. "Thank you, Kylie. Now, let's go confront her."

As we step back into the café, my eyes lock onto Rachel, who's still sitting with Adam. Despite knowing the entire scenario is a ruse, a twinge of jealousy flares within me. I quickly push the emotion aside, reminding myself that this is all part of the plan.

"Hey, baby," I greet Adam, my tone intentionally overly sweet as I grab a chair and sit next to him. Rachel's eyes widen in disbelief as Adam wraps an arm around my shoulders, kissing my lips tenderly.

"So, this is your girlfriend?" I say, a smirk playing on my lips as my gaze remains fixed on Rachel. "And here I was hoping that it would be me."

Rachel stammers, her composure slipping. "I-I don't know what you're talking about."

Kylie, seizing the moment, places her phone on the table, and a video starts playing. Rachel's voice saying on the call that she is Adam's girlfriend. The revelation hangs in the air, leaving Rachel speechless.

"I know it was you, Rachel," I declare, my voice steady and resolute. "Your little plan to sabotage my relationship. It's over."

Rachel's eyes flicker with a mix of defiance and panic, but I press on, acknowledging the twisted brilliance of her scheme. "I'll give you credit; it was a genius plan. But you were sloppy. Saving your number as Adam's? That was your downfall."

"Mallory, you've got it all wrong," Rachel protests, her voice trembling with a mixture of denial and frustration. Her eyes dart around, seeking support that isn't there.

Kylie, not missing a beat, rolls her eyes dramatically. "Come on, Rachel. Did you really think it would work? It was a dumb plan. What were you thinking?"

She stands abruptly, her face contorted with anger. "I won't stay around to be humiliated!" she shouts, her voice cutting through the cafe's ambient noise.

With a hurried exit, Rachel leaves, a gust of tension trailing in her wake. I exhale deeply, feeling a weight lift off my shoulders. Adam's grip tightens around me, a silent reassurance that the battle, for now, is won.

Kylie sits across from us, a satisfied smile playing on her lips. Sean, taking the seat beside her, chimes in with a playful comment. "Well, that went well, didn't it?"

Adam, concern etched on his face, asks, "Are you okay?"

I glance at him, a genuine smile spreading across my face. "I am now," I reply, a sense of relief washing over me. The confrontation with Rachel may not have been the justice she truly deserved, but at least she now knows the boundaries she can't cross.

"Rachel set herself up brilliantly," Kylie remarks, her eyes sparkling with a mischievous delight. "Who would've thought her confession on the phone would be that easy?"

I nod in agreement, still processing the audacity of Rachel's admission. "Yeah, I didn't expect her to lie so blatantly and claim she was Adam's girlfriend right away."

Adam and Sean exchange amused glances, Sean giving Adam a friendly punch to the arm. "Dude, that plan of yours was simple yet effective. Well played," Sean congratulates.

Adam grins, acknowledging the praise. "Thanks, man. I was worried she'd either hang up when she heard Mallory's voice or decide to take the call in the bathroom."

Kylie chimes in, her excitement undiminished. "Well, lucky for us, she played right into our hands. Now she knows she can't mess with you too anymore."

I glance at Adam, my heart swelling with gratitude for the way he orchestrated the plan, turning the tables on Rachel's manipulations.

"How about dinner to celebrate?" he proposes, his eyes sparkling with enthusiasm.

I smile, nodding in agreement. "Sure, it sounds like a great idea. This might be the last time all of us go out for a while, with exams starting on Monday."

The four of us make our way out of the cafe, and we decide to meet at the pizza place Adam had ordered from a few nights ago. Kylie and Sean head towards Sean's car, ready to drive to our dinner destination, while Adam and I start walking towards his motorcycle.

As we stroll hand in hand, the warmth of Adam's touch grounding me, I notice a thoughtful expression on his face. Concerned, I inquire, "What's wrong?"

He stops and looks directly into my eyes, his gaze intense. "Something you said back there didn't sit right with me."

I furrow my brows, trying to recall our conversation with Rachel. "What did I say?"

"You said you hoped you would be my girlfriend," he answers, his eyes searching mine.

I furrow my brows, trying to recall the exact moment. "Oh, I didn't mean—"

He cuts me off gently, "Mallory, I thought you knew you are my girlfriend"

Relief washes over me, and I can't help but smile. "I didn't want to make assumptions," I admit.

He pulls me into a tight hug, his warmth enveloping me. He kisses me deeply, and I feel a rush of emotions. My knees go weak, and I melt into the moment. When he breaks the kiss, our eyes meet.

"You don't have to make assumptions," he whispers, his thumb caressing my cheek. "As far as I'm concerned, I'm all in."

He takes a moment, looking deeply into my eyes. "I'm in love with you, Mallory."

My heart skips a beat at his words. The sincerity in his eyes and the tenderness of his touch create a moment that etches itself into my memory. The realization that we're both on the same page, navigating this budding relationship together, brings a sense of joy that bubbles within me.

"I'm in love with you too, Adam," I confess, the words flowing effortlessly.