Chapter 19

Matt

"No."

I stare at Mallory's response on my phone, frustration and longing coursing through me. She doesn't want to see me, but I need to see her. I need her. She doesn't understand that, but she will. I'll make sure of that.

Yesterday, when I arrived at the cafe after Nick's text, she had already left. She was with that prick, Adam, again. My jealousy raged inside me, a burning anger that I couldn't control. Honestly, I didn't know what I would have done if I found them there, if I saw him touch her. I can't let him have Mallory. She's mine, and I won't let anyone take her away from me.

Jealousy continues to dominate my thoughts, and without realizing it, I find myself climbing the vines leading to Mallory's window. It's a reckless act, but I can't help myself. I need to see her, to talk to her, to make her realize that we belong together.

When I finally reach her window, I knock softly, a wicked smile on my face as I imagine the surprise on her face when she sees me. But that smile quickly fades as I'm met not just with her startled expression but the sight of Kylie with her. Seriously? What the fuck is she doing here?

Mallory jumps off the bed and approaches the window, her face a mix of anger and disbelief. "Are you crazy, Matt?" she asks angrily, as she opens her window.

I try to stay composed and respond, "I had to see you."

Kylie, however, doesn't hold back. "She doesn't want to see you, asshole," she interjects.

I snap at Kylie, my patience wearing thin. "I'm talking to Mallory."

Mallory's voice is firm as she tells me, "I don't want to see you."

Desperation creeps into my tone as I plead with her, "Please, baby, let me in. We need to talk."

Mallory's tone hardens as she retorts, "Stop calling me 'baby.'"

I ignore her demand, unable to contain my emotions. "You'll always be my baby," I say, my voice trembling with emotion. "Just let me in, please. I'm not even sure I can climb down."

Kylie's sarcasm grates on my nerves as she chimes in, "Maybe you should've thought about that before climbing up."

I shoot an angry look at Kylie, then turn back to Mallory, pleading, "Please, Mallory? At least let me leave from the front door."

Mallory thinks for a second and nods. "Okay, you can leave through the front door,"

"Are you sure about that, sweetie?" Kylie asks her, her concern evident as I climb through the window.

Mallory looks at me, "Leave, Matt," she sighs. I step toward her, and she takes a step back, creating a physical distance between us. She repeats, more firmly this time, "Leave."

"Please, baby," I plead again, desperate to make her understand.

Kylie, growing angrier, snaps at me, "Leave, Matt!"

I run a hand over my face and through my hair, frustrated. Closing my eyes, I pinch the bridge of my nose, realizing that we won't be able to have a meaningful conversation with Kylie here. I look at Mallory, sighing deeply. "We need to talk, Mallory. You can't avoid me forever."

Mallory bristles at my words, her expression hardening. "You have to leave, now." her voice laced with a mix of anger and sadness. Reluctantly, I turn away, making my way out of her bedroom and leave her house.

I get in my car, disappointed that I didn't get to talk to Mallory. Why did Kylie have to be there? It's like she's always trying to get in the way. I drive to a nearby bar, replaying the encounter in my mind, frustration building within me.

Once inside the bar, I take a seat and order a whiskey, hoping it will numb the ache in my chest. The bar is dimly lit, creating a cozy and intimate atmosphere. The walls are adorned with vintage posters and artwork, adding a touch of character to the space. Soft, ambient lighting emanates from strategically placed lamps, casting a warm glow across the room. As I take a sip, a familiar face approaches me. It's Rachel, one of Mallory's friends. I sigh inwardly, not in the mood for her company.

"What's the matter, Matty?" she asks, trying to be alluring but failing miserably.

"Get lost," I tell her, giving her a dismissive look. I am not in the mood for her games.

"I heard Mallory went on a date with Adam," Rachel muses, capturing my attention. My grip tightens around the glass as I listen intently. "I thought you were trying to get her back," she adds, her voice filled with curiosity.

"What if I am?" I grunt, my frustration seeping into my words. Rachel leans in closer, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "I would like to help you do that," she whispers enticingly.

I scoff at her words. "What's in it for you?"

"Adam." I roll my eyes at Rachel's words. What is it with this guy anyway? Why do women go crazy over him? I take another sip of my whiskey, considering her offer. Maybe she can help me win Mallory back. But can I trust her?

"I already tried sabotaging their communication," Rachel admits. "I thought that if Adam never answered Mallory, she would give up on him. And so would he. Unfortunately, it didn't work."

I sigh heavily, but I am a little impressed with Rachel. "How did you manage that?"

"I spent the night at Kylie's house last Saturday, after the party. When I woke up, Mallory and Kylie weren't in the room, but Mallory had left her phone there. So I blocked Adam's number and changed his number to mine." She shrugs.

I chuckle, amused by her actions. Such a simple plan, but it should have been effective. I wonder how they managed to get in touch. "So, what do you propose we do now?"

Rachel leans in closer, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "I think we need to work together," she says, her voice low and seductive. "I can give you the inside scoop on what Mallory's up to, and you can use that information to your advantage."

I consider her words, feeling a spark of hope ignite within me. Maybe Rachel can help me win Mallory back after all.

"Okay," I say finally, nodding my head. "Let's do this."