Chapter 47

Adam

I navigate the streets on my motorcycle, the engine's growl providing a temporary distraction from the troubling text I received from my mother. My thoughts are a chaotic mix of concern and anticipation. Shoving the nagging worries aside, I try to focus on the road ahead, the wind whipping against my face.

As I pull up to Mallory's house, I park the motorcycle outside and take a moment to compose myself. I make my way through the front yard and ring the bell, nerves coiling within me. After a few moments, the door swings open, revealing Mallory's mother, Mrs. Hartley.

"Mrs. Hartley, hello," I greet her with a warm smile.

"Adam, dear, how good to see you. Come in, come in," she says, stepping aside to let me enter. With a nod of thanks, I step inside, and she closes the front door behind me. Her hospitality is evident as she gestures for me to take a seat.

"Mallory! Adam is here!" she calls out.

As I settle into a chair, Mrs. Hartley inquires, "Would you like to drink something? Are you hungry?"

"No, thank you. I'm good," I respond, appreciating her kindness. She's a stark contrast to my own mother, and I can't help but feel a sense of comfort in her presence.

A rhythmic clatter of steps announces Mallory's descent down the stairs. I turn, and my breath catches at the sight of her. How is it that every time I see her, it feels like the first? I stride towards her, meeting her halfway, and I can't help but be captivated by her beauty.

"Hey, beautiful," I say, a genuine smile gracing my lips.

"Hi, baby," she responds, and the endearment sends warmth through me. I lean in, pressing a soft kiss to her lips, losing myself in the moment. Mallory has a way of making everything else fade into the background.

"Ugh, you two are adorable," Mallory's mother gushes, and Mallory playfully rolls her eyes, sharing a giggle with her. "I think so too, Mrs. Hartley," I chime in, earning a grin from Mallory's mother.

"We should go," Mallory suggests, hugging her mother goodbye. "I'll see you soon," she tells her. Mallory slips her hand into mine, and we make our way out of the house.

Walking towards the motorcycle, Mallory breaks the silence. "How was your day?" she inquires.

"Pretty good. Yours?" I respond.

"Pretty good. I missed them all," she says, sighing with a hint of longing in her eyes. I pull her closer, cupping her cheeks. "Baby, you are not a prisoner, okay? You can visit your parents anytime you want. You can take my car," I assure her.

Her eyes widen. "Adam, are you sure?" she asks.

"It will make me feel better to know that you are moving safely. I'll give you a set of keys tonight," I say, and a grin spreads across her face.

"Okay, but only until I get my own car. It's on the schedule!" she declares with determination.

I smile at her. "Okay," I agree, and our lips brush as I lean in to kiss her.

We break the kiss, but I keep Mallory close, hugging her tightly. She wraps her hands around me, resting her head on my chest. I press a kiss on her head, inhaling her sweet scent deeply. She tilts her head to look up at me, her eyes filled with concern. "Are you sure everything is okay?" she asks.

"Yeah. Don't worry, baby. I just might need to go home for a couple of days. But nothing is certain yet," I reassure her.

"Oh? Okay," she responds. I kiss her forehead. "Don't worry about it; it's probably nothing," I add, trying to ease her worries.

"Then maybe I could come with you?" she suggests, and my heart aches at the thought of denying her.

"It's best that I go alone, baby. I'm sorry, maybe some other time," I say, regret in my voice. Her smile fades. "Okay," she says quietly.

I tighten my embrace for a few more seconds before letting her go. I hand her a helmet, and she takes it, securing it in place. I put on my helmet and mount the motorcycle. Mallory climbs on behind me, leaning in and wrapping her arms around my waist. God, I love that feeling.

The engine's low growl and the wind rushing past provide a soothing soundtrack to our journey. Despite the unease I feel about my mother's message, having Mallory pressed against me offers a comforting distraction.

I navigate through the streets, the hum of the motorcycle beneath us, and we reach my apartment building. We get off the bike, and as we head towards the entrance, Mallory breaks the silence. "Maybe I should go back home when you'll be away," she suggests.

I think about it for a moment. "Are you sure it's the best option?" I inquire.

Mallory looks up at me, her eyes reflecting uncertainty. "I'm sure. But I'll be so lonely here without you," she admits, her voice soft.

I pause, considering her words. "What about Matt?"

"Matt already knows where your apartment is, so if he wants to stalk me, he'll probably be around here," Mallory responds with a wry smile.

She nods decisively. "Yeah, I do."

I bristle at the thought of Matt confronting Mallory without me or anyone else around. The idea of her being in a potentially vulnerable situation ignites a protective instinct within me. "Okay then, no problem," I say firmly, determined to ensure her safety and peace of mind. We step into the elevator, and I pull her into a comforting hug. She sighs, and I can sense her worry.

"I know we don't know each other that well, but I wish you would share with me what's going on," she confesses, taking me by surprise. The elevator doors open, and we make our way to my apartment door.

She's right, though. I've been all in from the beginning, and being all in means sharing the good and the bad. We enter the apartment, and I let out a sigh. "Okay. I'll tell you all about it. But first, I need some wine," I say, attempting to lighten the mood.

I head to the kitchen, retrieving a bottle of wine and two glasses. Mallory takes a seat on the couch, and I join her. I pour the wine, and as I hand her a glass, she looks at me expectantly. I take a deep breath, praying silently that I won't drive her away.