Chapter 92

Mallory

The forest is alive with the sounds of rustling leaves and distant bird calls as I jog along the winding trail. The air is crisp, and the scent of pine needles fills my lungs. Autumn is painting the trees with hues of red and gold, and I welcome the distraction it brings. The rhythmic beat of my sneakers against the earth helps to clear my mind, if only momentarily.

As I reach a clearing bathed in dappled sunlight, I spot a moss-covered rock and decide it's the perfect spot to take a breather. I sit down, feeling the coolness seep through my leggings. My chest rises and falls with each deep breath, and I revel in the soothing quiet of nature.

Closing my eyes, I try to lose myself in the serenity of the moment, but thoughts of Adam's mother creep into my mind. A vivid image of her stern face and threatening words plays like a haunting reel. I shake my head vigorously, as if physically dispelling the unwanted thoughts.

Ten days have passed since the banquet, and the silence from Adam's mother is unnerving. Her ominous warnings linger in the back of my mind, a constant source of anxiety. I can't help but wonder when and how she'll attempt to carry out her threats. The uncertainty gnaws at me, making me feel like I'm on the brink of insanity.

With a heavy sigh, I push those thoughts aside. Next week, my university courses will resume, offering a welcome distraction. It's a relief to know that soon, my focus will shift from this looming threat to the demands of my studies. I stand up, stretch my limbs, and decide it's time to jog back to the apartment.

The forest trail seems more comforting on the return journey, as if the trees are whispering reassurances that everything will be okay. As I pick up the pace, the worries that had momentarily clouded my mind dissipate. The rhythmic thud of my footsteps becomes a steady mantra, drowning out the ominous echoes of Adam's mother's threats.

I get into the apartment and head straight to the bathroom to take a shower. I turn the knob and undress myself, hot steam filling the bathroom. I step into the shower, and as the steam envelops me, I let out a deep breath, allowing the warmth to seep into my tired muscles.

While the water works its therapeutic magic, my mind drifts to another source of anxiety—Melanie. Adam and I had planned to invite her over last week, seizing the opportunity while Daniel was away. The plan was simple: Marcus would bring his sister, clearing up the situation and ensuring a drama-free gathering. But, of course, simplicity eludes us.

The moment Daniel caught wind of Melanie attending an event without him, suddenly it became the perfect time for her to meet his family. The audacity of that man! Melanie, eager and oblivious to Daniel's games, enthusiastically accepted the invitation. However, Daniel booked her a hotel room far from the venue, and she missed the wedding entirely. Their time together was minimal, and despite her efforts to mask her disappointment, I could see right through them.

I, in turn, managed to hide my frustration and anger. Why couldn't she see that Daniel was pulling the same manipulative stunts all over again? The situation is infuriating, and it's difficult to watch her get caught up in his web once more.

Stepping out of the shower, I wrap myself in a towel and glance at my reflection in the steam-covered mirror. The knots of frustration tighten in my chest. Melanie deserves so much more than Daniel's games. I shake my head, trying to rid myself of the negativity, and proceed to dry myself off.

Wrapping the towel tightly around my body and securing my damp hair, I leave the bathroom behind. In the closet, I sift through the clothes, trying to decide what to wear. Melanie's suggestion of hosting a gathering this week, involving Daniel, lingers in my mind. A bitter smile plays on my lips as doubt creeps in. I can't shake the memory of Daniel's sleazy behavior, and the idea of him being around again sends a shiver down my spine.

How can Melanie be so blind? She's intelligent, charismatic, and interesting—qualities that should act as a shield against the likes of Daniel. Yet, she's ensnared by his manipulations. It's a constant source of frustration and concern for me. The feeling of helplessness gnaws at my insides. I wish she could see through his facade, but love, or what she thinks is love, has clouded her judgment.

This constant state of tension is taking a toll on me. Melanie's situation, coupled with the looming threat from Mrs. Christensen, keeps me on edge. Adam, bless his heart, has noticed my struggle. He does everything in his power to keep me calm and happy. However, when he's at work, these hours feel like an eternity, and I find myself spiraling out of control.

I enter Adam's study, seeking refuge from the turmoil in my mind. My gaze roams across the books lining the shelves, searching for something to distract me. Jane Eyre catches my eye, and I briefly entertain the irony of choosing a novel marked by the complexities of love. Sighing, I return it to its place.

Pride and Prejudice, The Picture of Dorian Gray, To Kill a Mockingbird—all excellent choices, but I need something lighter, something to lift the weight off my chest. My gaze lands on another title—Gone Girl. The mere thought sends shivers down my spine, and I roll my eyes at the unintentional symbolism. Clearly, distraction is eluding me today.

Deciding not to overthink it, I grab a book without looking too closely, hoping it'll serve its purpose. Settling into the armchair by the window, I open the book, only to find that it's Sense and Sensibility. I let out a small laugh, appreciating the randomness of my choice. Maybe diving into the world of Austen will provide the escape I desperately need right now.

The minutes tick away as I delve into the world of Sense and Sensibility. My phone vibrates, momentarily distracting me from Austen's prose. A hopeful thought crosses my mind—it could be a message from Adam. I check my phone, and disappointment washes over me; it's an email from my university.

Curiosity compels me to open the email and read its contents. The words hit me like a sudden storm: "Dear Ms. Hartley, after careful consideration, the university has made the decision that your studies will not resume in the next semester. We understand that this news may come as a surprise, and we regret any inconvenience this may cause. Please note that this decision is final, and we are unable to provide specific details or reasons for this action. We appreciate your understanding in this matter and wish you success in all your future academic and personal pursuits."

My heart races as I try to process the incomprehensible message. This can't be real. It must be a mistake. My GPA is impeccable, and there's no reason for such a drastic decision. A cold sweat breaks out, and I feel a tremor in my hands. How could they do this to me? I attempt to calm my racing thoughts, convincing myself that there must be some error in the communication. It's a mistake.

 It has to be.