Chapter 109

Mallory

The study is the last frontier, the final battleground of cardboard and tape that stands between me and the completion of this move. I eye the remaining boxes, most of them containing books, and let out a sigh. The weight of these literary treasures is formidable, and I decide to forgo any notion of grace. Instead, I opt to drag them across the floor, the sound of cardboard scraping against the hardwood echoing in the room.

Fatigue has settled in my bones, but there's a sense of accomplishment that tempers the weariness. Everything else is done, and the end of this move is finally near.

I kneel beside the open box, and as I peel back the layers of packaging, the familiar scent of printed paper greets me. My fingertips caress the spines of hardbound volumes, before I take them in my hands and place them carefully on the shelves, arranging them like pieces of a puzzle.

"Jane Eyre," I murmur to myself as I place the classic novel by Charlotte Brontë on the shelf. "The Great Gatsby," I add, its gilded cover catching the light. "To Kill a Mockingbird," I continue, as the shelves slowly fill.

As I reach for another book, my phone interrupts the quiet task at hand. I sigh, the interruption unwelcome in this moment of solitude. My heart skips a beat when I see the caller ID – Dr. Bennet.

"Hello? Dr. Bennet?" I answer, the anticipation evident in my voice. Is this about Adam's father? A million thoughts race through my mind in the span of a breath.

"Mallory, how are you? I was trying to find Adam, but he didn't answer his phone. Is he with you?" Dr. Bennet's voice is calm, but there's an urgency underlying his words.

"No, he's not here. Is everything okay?" I ask, my anxiety spiking. The silence on the other end feels like an eternity, and I brace myself for whatever news might come.

"Yes, everything is great, actually. Julian woke up and he asked for Adam," Dr. Bennet says, and a wave of emotions crashes over me. Relief, happiness, and gratitude swell in my chest, creating a mix of emotions too overwhelming to contain.

"That's wonderful news! I will try to reach him, Dr. Bennet. We'll be there as soon as possible," I say, my voice laced with joy.

We exchange a few more words, and as we hang up, I feel a renewed sense of purpose. The weight that had settled on my shoulders begins to lift. I dial Adam's number, my fingers moving hastily across the screen. As the phone rings on the other end, I can't help but smile, thinking about how happy Adam is going to be.

No answer.

In haste, I slip on some shoes, grab my purse, and head towards the hospital on foot. The distance that separates our apartment from the medical facility feels like an eternity and a second all at once. My steps quicken with every passing moment, anticipation and joy coursing through my veins.

I try calling Adam again, hoping he'll pick up and share in the news about his father. The phone rings, but there's only silence on the other end. A flicker of worry tugs at my thoughts, but I dismiss it, focusing on the positive. He is just busy; I keep telling myself. He will call me back soon.

As I arrive in front of the hospital doors, my phone rings. It's Adam. I answer with a mixture of relief and concern, "Hey, baby, is everything okay?"

"I was about to ask you the same thing. I'm sorry I missed your calls. Something came up. I'll tell you later," he explains.

My heart skips a beat at the cryptic response. "Adam, Dr. Bennet called. Your father woke up," I share the incredible news, unable to contain my excitement.

"Really? I'm going to the hospital. Where are you, baby?" he asks, his voice filled with urgency.

"I'm already at the hospital. I'll wait for you," I assure him.

"You are awesome, baby. I'll be right there. Wait for me in his room, okay? I'll be right there," Adam says, his tone filled with gratitude.

"Okay, I love you," I express.

"I love you too," Adam responds, and we hang up.

The hospital doors swing open, I step inside and I walk through the hospital lobby. My steps echo against the sterile floors as I head toward the elevator. With a press of the button, I wait, the chime signaling the doors sliding open. I step inside and instinctively reach for the button that would take me to the floor with the VIP suites.

However, a sudden decision takes hold, and I opt for a quick detour to the hospital's gift shop. I press the second-floor button, and the doors close again. It strikes me as odd that the hospital gift shop isn't located on the ground floor. Hospital logic, I muse to myself, shaking my head slightly.

The elevator doors open on the second floor, and I follow the signs directing me to the gift shop. As I step inside, the vibrant colors of flowers and various gifts catch my eye. I make my way through the aisles, scanning the shelves for the perfect token to brighten Adam's father's day.

My eyes settle on a stunning arrangement of vibrant lilies, elegant orchids, and delicate baby's breath. The flowers are arranged in a tall, sleek vase, exuding an air of sophistication and warmth. I pick up the arrangement, cradling it carefully in my arms, and make my way to the cashier to pay.

I make my way to the elevators, the flower arrangement cradled carefully in my arms. With a determined press of the button, I wait for the elevator to arrive. The elevator dings, and the doors slide open. Ready to step inside, my joy abruptly transforms into shock.

My eyes widen, my heart races, and my hands suddenly feel clammy. The flower arrangement almost slips from my grasp as the sight before me registers in my mind. It can't be real. This is a dream, a nightmare. Panic claws at the edges of my consciousness, threatening to consume me. This isn't happening.

In the elevator stands a figure that I never expected to see again.

Matt.